The Star Wars thread - "Chewie, we're home."
  • I still find it a bit weird in the sequels that in general all the new characters (Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo) were good characters, well cast and very well acted, and yet still the writing and the story dragged them down. Such a shame for that cast but although I increasingly disliked the films I still have affection for those characters.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • I was thinking that maybe they should have either made Rey the daughter of Luke or framed the story properly on Kylo Ren. As it stands there’s nothin that makes episode 7 the next chapter in the story imo.

Good point. I'm sure the idea of Rey being Lukes daughter was chucked for being too obvious but it would have worked fine. Star Wars doesnt need to have huge twists or subvert (and I say that as someone who liked the Johnson Debacle) to work. It's the definition of the popcorn movie.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Which film was Johnson Debacle in again?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • He had a cameo as a stormtrooper.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Was yoga in RoS? Genuinely lost here
  • regmcfly wrote:

No, just General pilates.
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly wrote:

Force ghost crazy puppet Yoda when the tree with the Force manuals burns.
  • Or was that The Last Jedi?
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

good to vgood
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    This made me chortle.

I don't see the problem with lore in Star Wars. In fact quite the opposite, I loved seeing the Jedi ruins on Jeddah in R1 and stuff like that. I think a big problem is the everything must be connected part and all things must be explained (as in showing Han's kessel run). But equally I have no problem with the new trilogy still keeping the OG players on the board to transition to the new cast. 
    Done right, a star wars movie could be anything.

The BIG problem though has to be the lack of planning on Disney's side. There should have been a clear story to tell over the 3 movies and there wasn't.
    JJ did a great job on TFA.
    But then Johnson came in and tried to undo a lot of the foundations laid in TFA and didn't really advance the story much.
    That left ROS in a terrible position.
    The movies were fighting against each other.
    I think thats the big flaw that needs sorting out.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • my problem with the OG cast in these sequels is that they weren't really playing their OG characters...but i won't start that again. ;)

However I'm up for a General Pilates spin off. :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • So we might be getting a jj abrams directors cut of epsiode 9 with the original ending that he wanted. Apparently kathleen kennedy butchered the movie with cuts everywhere and new disney ceo wants the directors cut of epsiode 9 on disney plus in 2023.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    No amount of cuts will save that movie.
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    In 2023?? That sounds like Not A Thing to me, tbh.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It seems to me the worst enemy of so many big films is that the producers get their fingers too deeply into the mix.  Who knows how Star Wars: Solo might have turned out if those fucking producers hadn’t shunted the original directors.  It can’t have been any worse than what we got.

My pet film in this regard: Alien 3.  That film was fucked so hard by the producers that it’s a miracle it turned out as well as it did.  Fincher’s vision, strangled as it might have been, still shone pretty brightly.  I went to the cinema for that one and saw it, even in that phenomenal title sequence.
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    It seems to me the worst enemy of so many big films is that the producers get their fingers too deeply into the mix.  Who knows how Star Wars: Solo might have turned out if those fucking producers hadn’t shunted the original directors.  It can’t have been any worse than what we got.

I don't think it would have been any better tbh. It sounds like George Lucas commissioned Laurence Kasdan to do the script just before he sold Lucasfilm and it seems like the deal was always that whoever directed it was just executing his story. Both sets of directors had the same script and cast (I wasn't keen on the Solo guy tbh) so nothing core would have changed.

Tbh, Solo wasn't even that bad and likely wouldn't be thought of as a disaster if they'd just released it in December.
  • George lucas's scripts for the trilogy were dropped in their entirety which is why he's keen apparently to do his own epsiode 7,8,9 and maybe dump the current 7,8,9 into an alternate timeline.

Katheen kennedy is rumoured to be losing her job at lucasfilm due to the mess she has created by interfering with the various movies.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Katheen kennedy is rumoured to be losing her job at lucasfilm due to the mess she has created by interfering with the various movies.

Best news ever.
    Get schwifty.
  • There's like, zero substantiated evidence for that. Her contract for Star Wars is up in 2021, after it was renewed in 2018, the last time she was rumoured to be getting the nudge.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have nothing wrong with Disney going mad on Star Wars.  It’s an IP ripe for creativity.  They just need people who understand and love the universe to hold the reigns.
    Get schwifty.
  • Locking the stable door after the horse has spent 8 years making a series of poor decisions across the production of 5 movies.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Locking the stable door after the horse has spent 8 years making a series of poor decisions across the production of 5 movies.

Well quite.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    There's like, zero substantiated evidence for that. Her contract for Star Wars is up in 2021, after it was renewed in 2018, the last time she was rumoured to be getting the nudge.

This is fully correct. Anything that happens following is coincidence.

Or well timed

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/989123-lucasfilm-president-kathleen-kennedy-contract-renewed-through-2021/amp

• More up to date link (july 2020).

Disney and Kathleen Kennedy have come to an arrangement and Kathleen Kennedy will soon be departing from LucasFilm. Indeed, in practical terms, she is already effectively out," says Doomcock who offers specifics on Kennedy's departure from Disney Lucasfilm are not known.

https://cosmicbook.news/george-lucas-saving-star-wars-kathleen-kennedy-jj-abrams.

Her interference at lucasfilm is stuff of legend now. The woman single handedly ruined star wars.
  • Theres also this rumour (july 2020)

DISNEY WANTS GEORGE LUCAS TO SAVE STAR WARS

Regarding George Lucas, it's claimed Disney wants George Lucas to take the reins from Kathleen Kennedy and save Star Wars.

"Disney investors have been trying to get George Lucas back for a few months now," explains Doomcock. "Up until a few weeks ago, Lucas would change the subject when asked about returning, avoiding the topic, or responding in a noncommital way. Well, about three weeks ago, they asked Lucas point-blank, 'What would it take to get you on board with heading up Lucasfilm?' Allegedly, George Lucas said this: 'If I were to return, I have four conditions that would have to be met.'"

The four conditions George Lucas wants from Disney to return to Star Wars includes:
    Condition #1: I get to make my Sequel Trilogy.
    Condition #2: I have full creative power until I decide to hand it off.
    Condition #3: Kathleen Kennedy is gone.
    Condition #4: Disney agrees to never ever mess with the original trilogy, leaving it untouched.

Doomcock offers that Lucas closed out the communication with Disney noting that none of this is negotiable, which saw Disney respond: "So when do you start?"

https://cosmicbook.news/george-lucas-saving-star-wars-kathleen-kennedy-jj-abrams?amp
  • Cosmic Book are not exactly well regarded. They're considered part of the stupid Comicsgate movement, fishing around for whatever morsel of weird anti-liberal slant they can use to get clicks.

But moreover than that... are we really going to take the word of "future ruler of earth" Doomcock as gospel with absolutely no evidence?

You need to learn how to vet your sources.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    This fits in with a rumour I've heard from Apocalypsevagina that Disney are planning to use the control chips that the COVID-19 vaccine will place inside of us to beam George Lucas' sequel trilogy directly into our heads.
  • Mate, Doomcock is an absolute bellend who just makes shit up for clicks. You might want to get a better source.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!