The Star Wars thread - "Chewie, we're home."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Remember that eejit Supershadow? Whatever happened to him?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dunno. I don't even remember him tbh.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    He claimed was a friend of lucas and had scripts of 7 .... 9 years ago. Some tosh about clones of the emperor and luke......
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cosmicbook News, Bleeding Fool, We've Got This Covered (all of them like, one letter/word off from actual reputable sites like Comic Book News, Bleeding Cool etc) all well known muckraking websites that report each other as authorities and stuff, started by people who got left out to dry during the whole comicsgate movement.  

Personally wouldn't trust 90% of youtubers far as I could throw them, actually vetting where this news comes from and why it matches specific agendas is pretty worth examining. The minutes are ticking away until The Quartering covers this exact topic I suspect, which means you know it's true.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    More up to date link (july 2020).

Disney and Kathleen Kennedy have come to an arrangement and Kathleen Kennedy will soon be departing from LucasFilm. Indeed, in practical terms, she is already effectively out," says Doomcock who offers specifics on Kennedy's departure from Disney Lucasfilm are not known.

https://cosmicbook.news/george-lucas-saving-star-wars-kathleen-kennedy-jj-abrams.

Her interference at lucasfilm is stuff of legend now. The woman single handedly ruined star wars.

Ayo i see this a lot, and i just want to remind people to their due diligence a bit. Films Kathleen Kennedy has produced, a list:

Raiders of the Lost Ark (associate to Steven Spielberg, 1981)
    Poltergeist (associate producer, 1982)
    E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (producer, 1982)
    Creepshow (associate producer, segment: "The Crate", 1982)
    Twilight Zone: The Movie (associate producer, segment 2, 1983)
    Gremlins (executive producer, 1984)
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (associate producer, 1984)
    The Color Purple (producer, 1985)
    Young Sherlock Holmes (executive producer, 1985)
    Back to the Future (executive producer, 1985)
    The Goonies (executive producer, 1985)
    Fandango (executive producer, 1985)
    An American Tail (executive producer, 1986)
    The Money Pit (producer, 1986)
    *batteries not included (executive producer, 1987)
    Empire of the Sun (producer, 1987)
    Innerspace (co-executive producer, 1987)
    The China Odyssey: 'Empire of the Sun', a Film by Steven Spielberg (associate producer, 1987)
    The Land Before Time (co-executive producer, 1988)
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit (executive producer, 1988)
    Always (producer, 1989)
    Back to the Future Part II (executive producer, 1989)
    Dad (executive producer, 1989)
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (associate producer, 1989)
    Tummy Trouble (executive producer, 1989)
    Arachnophobia (producer, 1990)
    Gremlins 2: The New Batch (executive producer, 1990)
    Roller Coaster Rabbit (executive producer, 1990)
    Back to the Future Part III (executive producer, 1990)
    Joe Versus the Volcano (executive producer, 1990)
    Hook (producer, 1991)
    An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (executive producer, 1991)
    Cape Fear (executive producer, 1991)
    A Brief History of Time (uncredited executive producer, 1991)
    A Wish for Wings That Work (executive producer, TV, 1991)
    Noises Off (executive producer, 1992)
    Schindler's List (executive producer, 1993)
    We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story (executive producer, 1993)
    A Dangerous Woman (executive producer, 1993)
    Jurassic Park (producer, 1993)
    A Far Off Place (executive producer, 1993)
    Trail Mix-Up (executive producer, 1993)
    Alive (producer, 1993)
    Milk Money (producer, 1994)
    The Flintstones (executive producer, 1994)
    Balto (executive producer, 1995)
    The Indian in the Cupboard (producer, 1995)
    Congo (producer, 1995)
    The Bridges of Madison County (producer, 1995)
    Twister (producer, 1996)
    The Best of Roger Rabbit (executive producer, 1996)
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park (executive producer, 1997)
    A Map of the World (producer, 1999)
    Snow Falling on Cedars (producer, 1999)
    The Sixth Sense (producer, 1999)
    Olympic Glory (executive producer, 1999)
    Jurassic Park III (producer, 2001)
    A.I. Artificial Intelligence (producer, 2001)
    The Sports Pages (executive producer, TV, 2001)
    Signs (executive producer, 2002)
    The Young Black Stallion (executive producer, 2003)
    Seabiscuit (producer, 2003)
    Munich (producer, 2005)
    War of the Worlds (producer, 2005)
    Persepolis (executive producer, 2007)
    The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (producer, 2007)
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (producer, 2008)
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (executive producer, 2008)
    Ponyo (U.S. version co-producer, 2009)
    The Last Airbender (executive producer, 2010)
    Hereafter (co-producer with Clint Eastwood, Robert Lorenz & Steven Spielberg, 2010)
    The Adventures of Tintin (producer, 2011)
    War Horse (producer, 2011)
    The Secret World of Arrietty (U.S. version executive producer, 2012)
    Lincoln (producer, 2012)
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens (producer, 2015)
    The BFG (executive producer, 2016)
    The Girl on the Train (uncredited executive producer, 2016)
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (producer, 2016)
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi (producer, 2017)
    Solo: A Star Wars Story (producer, 2018)
    The Mandalorian (producer, 2019)
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (producer, 2019)

The idea that Kathleen Kennedy has that list of credits but just tanked the latest trilogy into the ground like some incompetent wannabe joke sjw woke feminist who had no business being involved in Star Wars is laughable.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Also - George 'I had full control for them great prequel movies' Lucas is seen as the saviour.? The guy whose tinkering with the original trilogy has pissed fans off over the years?

Disney should just take a wee break. Release one which is a more or less self contained story but seeded with a few possible lose threads and see what the audience reacts to. It worked for iron man, it worked for the original star wars. It worked for the matrix. Stop trying to launch trilogies unless there is a clear source and reason. I can only think of the Harry Potter movies and the Lord of the rings that worked as multi film plots that were launched from the start.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Disney and their hubris are what did for the last trilogy, they made similar mistakes that George did.

The difference is that Disney is a faceless corpofuckery that doesn't care how their films are received as long as they make their money. Unlike George, who had fully drunk the kool aid over the decades and forgotten all the help he had from those around him when he created the original trilogy.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I don’t get this let’s go back and redo it again cos some fans weren’t happy. It sold well enough it ended the story (in an admittedly meh way) but Disney should just move on and my understanding is that they have. Taika has a stand alone film and I’d be amazed if they don’t call in Favreau at some point to oversee another film or even trilogy.

Mandalorian has proved you don’t need the Skywalker stuff for Star Wars to be interesting.

Seems like if they aren’t trying to shoehorn in legacy stuff (Solo and Rogue One obvs) then they will be on to a winner.

Let’s just forget the “fan” wankery of what could have been.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I have nothing wrong with Disney going mad on Star Wars.  It’s an IP ripe for creativity.  They just need people who understand and love the universe to hold the reigns.

I think it would be better if someone didn’t give a toss about Star Wars gave it a go.

I’m basically basing this on Paul Verhovens treatment of starship troopers turning out great.

Imagine someone making something broadly Star Wars ish without the need to pander to anything. They’d be unshackled from a lot of boring crap like Hand solo needing to be there and his stupid gun or a light saber whip.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Rian Johnson had a bash ;-)

Edit - seriously I don’t agree. I think it needs people who love what Star Wars started as. But just leave out the old stuff. They need to the love to get the right feel for Star Wars. Rogue One did it well mostly and obviously Mandalorian did it a bit better.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’d be very interested to see George Lucas’ ultimate vision for the nine part series, if I’m honest.  Back in the eighties, when the truth about whether there was actually meant to be six or nine movies was murky, my mate managed to speak to Mark Hamill on a radio show (I think he was promoting a film called...Slipstream?...something like that) and I always remember he confirmed to him that Lucas had a nine movie vision.  As wonky as the first three ended up being, anything’s better than what we got in the final three.
    Get schwifty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Doomcock? Never heard of him but I'm already willing to believe every clickbait article he spunks out.

@Roujin That's a thoroughly decent list, but it doesn't mean she didn't drop the ball with the direction(s) this sequel trilogy took. Rian Johnson helming the middle piece, and putting a different spin on what was before and would come after couldn't ever work. I'd liked to have seen a draft of his trilogy, JJ Abrams' take, and pick one. Not try to shoehorn them both together. Presumably Trevorrow or whatever he's called had another idea for the finale. Total catastrophe waiting to happen.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I actually want to see George Lucas' 10 or 12 or whatever it was series, with the prelude film and interlude films between trilogies. I'd argue the prequel trilogy shows signs of being more than three films originally with Phantom Menace taking the place of the prelude film and the Clone Wars consequently between squeezed into a film and a half with another half a film setting up A New Hope. Make it the four or five films it was intended to be and let it breathe.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think Kathleen Kennedy had the reasonable idea of letting a new generation of directing talent do their own auteur-led takes on Star Wars instead of being a tightly controlling Kevin Feige figure and unfortunately just happened to be completely shafted by the talent she picked.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    I think Kathleen Kennedy had the reasonable idea of letting a new generation of directing talent do their own auteur-led takes on Star Wars instead of being a tightly controlling Kevin Feige figure and unfortunately just happened to be completely shafted by the talent she picked.

No no no, sounds to me like she interfered with the projects relentlessly.  Kennedy is almost certainly a Sith.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Go fucking me.  I just checked Hamill’s IMDB and he made a film called Slipstream in ‘89.  It was shit if I remember correctly.
    Get schwifty.
  • Roujin wrote:
    The difference is that Disney is a faceless corpofuckery that doesn't care how their films are received as long as they make their money. Unlike George, who had fully drunk the kool aid over the decades and forgotten all the help he had from those around him when he created the original trilogy.

Sorry, but that's horse poo. Disney put huge amount of money into these movies. They might not give 2 fucks as to how the critics rate their movies but they do care about how the general public take to a movie. I'm sure the artistic merit might not be quite as high as the commercial but they certainly need it to to turn things into a proper Disney franchise. They need fans invested enough that the next round of films gets that audience on board. Why do you think rian Johnsons trilogy got kicked to the kerb. Its also why marvel didnt stick with Norton hulk.

And as bad as Disney star wars is, compare it to the cluster fuck of the DC movies when they were trying to copy marvel. Justice league is far worse than any of the new star wars.movies.

I'd imagine the bigger problem is that a film, and a story, needs a strong guiding hand. You can't put these movies together by committee or by market research. I'm guessing that's more where Disney went wrong.

So star wars fans want the universe expanded with new characters and adventures but also want it to respect the original plot lines and hits those nostalgia glands? They want directors to bring a new vision to the movies but not to stray too far from the look and feel of the original movies?

Boom! That's how we get star wars 7 to 9.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not taking the piss on star wars fans there, just more that basing your movie on market research is doomed to failure.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Go fucking me.  I just checked Hamill’s IMDB and he made a film called Slipstream in ‘89.  It was shit if I remember correctly.

It was
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Take Lucas’ treatments for films 7, 8, and 9, give them to proven screenplay writers, assign a proper director to each film (David Fincher (pop quiz-he worked on Jedi), Denis Villeneuve, and finally Ridley Scott.)

Basically my sci fi wank fantasy.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    But that’s how you Star Wars.
    Get schwifty.
  • I'm struggling to think of three directors I'd like less to work on StarWarz.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Please god not Scott
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Please god not Scott

I still believe in that guy.  He just needs to work from the right screenplay.
    Get schwifty.
  • Wasn't George going to go further down the midichlorian  road, it sounded even worse than what we got.
  • Yup. George's plans were a fucking hellscape of ideas.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I know the midichlorian stuff was cringe. But in the context of the Jedi in the originals being mythic things from a lost age, it made sense that at the height of their power they understood some of the science of the force.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:

It's not reasonable to let three different directors do their own take if you expect a coherent trilogy at the end of it. And I'm sure she had a rough idea of what each of them had in mind for the franchise, which is why Trevorrow's plug was pulled. She realised the error of her ways.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    Wasn't George going to go further down the midichlorian  road, it sounded even worse than what we got.

Source?
    Get schwifty.
  • Do you not have access to Google?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yes, thanks.  Seemed like something very specific.  Sorry I asked.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!