Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Never underestimate Disney's ability to milk.
  • Btw was this ever discussed on here?

https://www.deseret.com/entertainment/2020/1/15/21066236/star-wars-episode-9-spoilers-colin-trevorrow-duel-of-fates-rise-of-skywalker-original-scriot-disney

The original script for “Star Wars: Episode IX” has reportedly leaked online, and it shows a much different version of the final film than the one we got.

What’s going on: The leaked script — which was first shared to Reddit — was penned by Colin Trevorrow, who was originally picked to direct the final film of the Skywalker saga, and Derek Connolly.

Trevorrow was fired from the project over creative disagreements, per Collider.
    Lucasfilm hired J.J. Abrams back instead.
    What it was called: “Duel of Fates” would have been the original title of the final film.

The opening crawl: The leaks included an alleged new opening crawl.

The iron grip of the FIRST ORDER has spread to the farthest reaches of the galaxy. Only a few scattered planets remain unoccupied. Traitorous acts are punishable by death.

Determined to suffocate a growing unrest, Supreme Leader KYLO REN has silenced all communication between neighboring systems.

Led by GENERAL LEIA ORGANA, the Resistance has planned a secret mission to prevent their annihilation and forge a path to freedom ...

What would have happened: There’s a lot to unpack about from the leaked script. You can read the entire breakdown at Reddit. We’ve picked out several highlights that will have Star Wars fans going berserk.

Rey would have had a double-bladed lightsaber that included Luke’s cracked blue lightsaber.

Coruscant would have played a role. It would have been filled with scavengers and been home to the First Order.

Rey, Finn and Poe would have stolen a star destroyer ship.

Kylo Ren would have been the main villain.

Kylo Ren would spend time on Mustafar, haunted by Luke’s Force ghost.

Kylo Ren would have found a Sith Holocron with a hologram message from Emperor Palpatine, who would relay a message meant for Darth Vader. The message would say to meet an ancient Sith teacher on a distant planet.

Kylo Ren would have destroyed Vader’s helmet in anger.
    General Hux becomes Chancellor Hux and leads the First Order from a political standpoint.

There would have bene an increase emphasis on the battle between the Resistance and the First Order.

Rose plays a bigger role. She gets captured and is tortured before escaping.

Kylo and Rey battle on the planet Mortis, using Force energy.

Kylo reveals he killed Rey’s parents.

Luke, Obi Wan and Yoda try to convince Kylo Ren to join the light side of the Force.

Kylo Ren is then “extingiuished.”

Resistance and the First Order battle. Resistance wins.
    Han Solo appears at some point.

Yes, but: As Esquire points out, Disney nor Trevorrow have confirmed these leaks. They likely won’t ever support them as the true story.

Right now, these are just claims from a Star Wars Reddit board, which previously shared leaked photos and details from “The Rise of Skywalker” that ended up becoming true, according to Esquire.

“Real or not, this alternate story for ‘Episode IX’ feels cathartic to read right now. It’s refreshing to imagine something–anything–different than the film J.J. Abrams made. Who knows, maybe Trevorrow will actually get to direct a ‘Star Wars’ movie someday.”
  • Btw the full script can be found here

https://mega.nz/file/MegFDK7Y#dK6dhZsRXTmIgZ39l9719Macz1TQCZQtlhSCz0EdmOI

Also the confirmed concept art (by colin teevorrow). He confirmed the name of the movie as well.

Screenshot-20200802-191812-Twitter.jpg[/url]
    Screenshot-20200802-191828-Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot-20200802-191853-Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot-20200802-191904-Twitter.jpg
  • A dog shit milkshake would be a better script than the one we got.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Who gives a flying shite.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The story ended at Ep. 6

That trilogy should have been all new characters set in the universe; either before Ep1 or after Ep6. Clean of any ties with old characters.

Three films dealing with the chaos of a crashed empire would have been fine. But the final igominy of bringing back Palpatine finished off any trace of dignity the IP had left.

Structurally, Ep.9 was actually OK. It felt like a Star Wars film with a group of people facing a problem. Such a shame.
    Ep. 8 remains an absolute car crash of a film.
    Ep. 7 was OK as a remake of Ep4 but even that compromised the Ep. 4 storyline with the Death star flaw being by design. 

I have no desire to see any of that trilogy ever again.

Hollywood film making is ultimately deeply flawed - it has totally compromised the creative process. So finding stuff like this comes as no surprise. Only an auter with enough clout can now deliver anything of worth.

How those Marvel films ever delivered anything of merit was a miracle. Maybe the fact that core story existed gave them some grounding around which they could work. They are still highly impressive ensemble cast films.

There is simply too much at risk with these big franchises for the money people to not have an adverse effect on them. These people have abilities that are required to get product out the door, but they have no discernible feel for the creative process , especially within the parameters of a well known and loved franchise, display a total lack of knowledge about what makes them so popular.#

The fact is they look down their nose at it - something the nerds like. So how can anyone with that mindset make a contribution to anything like Star Wars which is now a man-child fantasy which is what it was never meant to be. And maybe that's the problem itself.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I think The Mandalorian approach is positive though. Favreau and Filoni genuinely seem to have a love of star wars ( proper og trilogy) and that is apparent in the show itself.
    Considering Mando's success I'm hoping the Disney exec team put 2 and 2 together and get a passionate movie "showrunner" in place for the next batch of movies. And maybe have the fucking trilogy prewritten this time
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @davyk - some good points there. But wasn’t Johnson the auteur they have free reign too and people seemed to not like that he fucked with the formula. (Me included though I’ve appreciated some bits of it more on reflection).

I’d agree Favreau would be a safe pair of hands as an overall custodian of the franchise. They already have Waititi on board as next director don’t they? He’s proved he can do action, with that spot of humour it’s Thor Ragnarok.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @b0r1s

I was rambling there a bit. I just really wish they had left Star Wars alone - or at least that story arc. 

I was very much the generation that made it what it was. I was 11 in 1977 and ESB will forever be my best cinema experience ever. Sigh.

Star Wars was great hokum. It was never meant to be anything else. In videogames terms it's Contra or original Doom. Ramshackle breakneck fun.

Ep1-3 made it po-faced and then 7-9 just screwed it up. :(

However at least 1-3 completed the story arc despite its numerous mis-steps.
  • davyK wrote:

Star Wars was great hokum. It was never meant to be anything else. In videogames terms it's Contra or original Doom. Ramshackle breakneck fun.

Ep1-3 made it po-faced and then 7-9 just screwed it up. :(

However at least 1-3 completed the story arc despite its numerous mis-steps.

I agree but I think a good portion of the fan base won't allow it to be pure hokum anymore. It will never get back to the innocence of the first film which hinted at a bigger story, a great second film which expanded just enough without getting lost in lore and a third movie which, personal feelings aside, ties things up in a decent manner.sure the ewoks are shit and the han rescue is super silly and takes up too much time but it's all done to entertain.
    SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The sequel trilogy had the opportunity to be entertaining hokum for a more media-literate age. They declined to pick the low-hanging fruit of just, like, planning the basic narrative arc of the main plot and characters on a basic level.

I'm convinced with I-III and VII-IX they've made making decent Star Wars look harder than it is. I mean they nearly got there with TFA and TLJ.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The SW gen were lucky enough / cursed enough to have experienced a really great fantasy tale in the cinema at a time when the tech was around to deliver it. I think that impact echoes still - some of us are still chasing the high of that era. That body of people will never be satisfied. Essentially they need to grow up and see SW for what it was.

Ep.4 and 5 were great cinema. Ep6 was "only" good - but there was enough inertia and excellent set pieces and McDiarmuid to see it through.

But too often the magic formula is stumbled across and I believe that was the case with SW. ESB was pure craftsmanship though.

Lightning in a bottle and all that.
  • I'm halfway through reading Duel of the Fates, epsiode 9 script. Its so much better than the actual movie by jj abrams.

The introduction of Rey in this movie would have blown the heads of the star wars nerds.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I mean - the dialogue even of the classic trilogy. It's bloody awful but the sheer pace, simple story, great characters and design see it through. It's wonderful entertainment.

But I remember being slightly underwhelmed by it in the cinema at 11. The hype-reality gap was to blame for that though.
  • You couldn't get away with a movie as simple as ep IV now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    yup  -would be a straight-to-stream effort.

People expect too much but that's grounds for disappointment. Films have got far too big for their boots.
  • Bit of both I think.
    People definitely expect too much but ep IV is extremely basic. Empire and Jedi are passable, they at least have A and B stories.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I still think ESB feels modern. But that's probably my rose tint.
  • The fact it has a twist makes it quite modern.
    Ever since M Knight Shwarmaham every twat wants a twist.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.   A downbeat ending was very much out of kilter with pop culture films then. Plenty of bleak 70s output but not for the SW audience.

ESB does have an air of dread about it. Maybe that's just because I know it too well.
  • For those saying you can't do a simple film, I'd point to fury Road. A simple film can work - you don't need a huge plot or cast of characters for something to be entertaining. You just need to focus on what type of entertaining you want to do. To me that's the problem with some of the big blockbusters. By being everything to everyone they run the risk of not really satisfying anyone.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Some rumours doing the rounds that disney are considering a soft reboot of the latest triology or a Luke Skywalker trilogy set after Return of the Jedi with mandolrians. Also possibility of George Lucas returning to direct.

Just when you thought the skywalker shit was done and dusted with....

I'll be honest, a proper Luke thing with Mark hamill would still appeal to me.
    As much as it's bullshit and too little too late...for me star wars was about Luke Skywalker.
    IMHO the sequel trilogy....was designed to remove the old characters and promote the new (nicest way i can put it) as they didn't think old actors and characters would be popular enough so there'd be a delicious irony if they had to go back to Hamill even older...
    Not that i have much faith in Disney for the story, and hope they don't let Lucas anywhere near directing.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mandalorian was at least entertaining while feeling like Star Wars. Sure we were strung along for a few episodes but I'd have taken a film version of it against those 3 films.  It was brave enough to break away from that main story and was all the better for it.

It still think Rogue 1 was the best of the SW-Disney output - it's worrying though that two of the best characters so far have been the robot from Rogue 1 and the robot bounty hunter from Mandalorian....
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Some rumours doing the rounds that disney are considering a soft reboot of the latest triology or a Luke Skywalker trilogy set after Return of the Jedi with mandolrians. Also possibility of George Lucas returning to direct. Just when you thought the skywalker shit was done and dusted with....
    I'll be honest, a proper Luke thing with Mark hamill would still appeal to me. As much as it's bullshit and too little too late...for me star wars was about Luke Skywalker. IMHO the sequel trilogy....was designed to remove the old characters and promote the new (nicest way i can put it) as they didn't think old actors and characters would be popular enough so there'd be a delicious irony if they had to go back to Hamill even older... Not that i have much faith in Disney for the story, and hope they don't let Lucas anywhere near directing.

Well of course the sequel trilogy was aimed to create a new generation - wouldnt have made sense to do otherwise. If it had worked, they could have gotten another 6 films from the cast given the speed of the disney/ marvel machine.

Hamill coming back is fine but there was nothing wrong with the new generation introduced in the Force Awakens. The three actors all had good chemistry together and the characters themselves all had potential to be good. Hammill coming back doesnt solve the problem of the Disney Star Wars films.  (far too hampered with 'lore', obsessed with the force and light sabres, everything must be connected and no real sense of where they are going long term)
    SFV - reddave360
  • I dont think you could have made a trilogy of the O.G cast outside of Hamill and Daniels anyway and nobody likes Anthony Daniels.

Ford: Uninterested in a trilogy, would rather make weird talking dog movies.
    Baker: Dead
    Fisher: Died while shooting third ep
    Mayhew: Couldn't do what they did make, now dead.
    James Earl Jones: 80 something and sounds it.
    Cushing: Dead and let's not talk about the CG version.
    Prowse: in his 80s
    Alec Guiness: Long dead and his force ghost would probably turn it down anyway.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    [Hamill coming back is fine but there was nothing wrong with the new generation introduced in the Force Awakens. The three actors all had good chemistry together and the characters themselves all had potential to be good. Hammill coming back doesnt solve the problem of the Disney Star Wars films.  (far too hampered with 'lore', obsessed with the force and light sabres, everything must be connected and no real sense of where they are going long term)

Correct. I quite liked the 3 new main characters. They just needed a real proper bad guy to go up against.  The final film showed what was possible with a real threat for them to face.
  • I liked the new characters - Rey, Finn and Poe (in first film in particular) are good, and Kylo was the most interesting (and best performed) across the trilogy. I changed my phrasing and then tried to make it a bland generic thing than start up another big discussion.
    However...
    If Disney had done a straight reboot with the new characters and left the old gang out of it (which is what the films are really except the old cast are shoved in there) then it would have been fine and the films work a bit better without the baggage. Or you do a sequel trilogy and use the old characters properly. Calling it a sequel, repeating the story of the originals, and (IMO) showing little respect for the old characters and their fans was a pretty shite move.
    So the bitter fan inside would be delighted if Disney now felt obliged to go back to Luke to try to get things back on track.

That it A: Won't happen anyway, and B: Prob would be shite if it did, is kind of moot... ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I'm not too against the old guard being in there in TFA.
    Han dies before we see Luke so there is no overlap there. Leia works as leader of the Resistance makes sense. Chewie is welcome, I could take or leave him after TFA though.

The issue for me came with TLJ when we now had another Resistance leader doing what Leia should be doing, Rose who goes on the trip instead of Poe leaving Poe with nothing to do. Then they kill off the big bad forcing another big bad to be added into RoS, didnt have to be Palps but needed someone to be the devil on Ren's shoulder. Porgs and the weird helpers on Luke's island of solitude.

It all goes to shit character count wise in RoS. Lando for no fucking reason. Lando's daughter and friends distracting from Finn being the converted Stormtrooper. Rose for 45 seconds because there is nothing for her to do. Yoda because Yoda sells merch.
    Richard E Grant, bet ya forgot he was in RoS. Who the fuck was he? Who cares.

By the end of it, except for Ren and to an extent Rey the characters haven't evolved from TFA.
  • I was thinking that maybe they should have either made Rey the daughter of Luke or framed the story properly on Kylo Ren. As it stands there’s nothin that makes episode 7 the next chapter in the story imo.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!