PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Well, that and extra training makes you safer I suppose.
    I was a better rider than our instructors when I took my course!

I've got a video of me jumping buses on Blue Peter and my Dad knows Lance Armstrong!
  • Moto70 wrote:

It's amazing how often you hear this from bikers.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    I've got a video of me jumping buses on Blue Peter and my Dad knows Lance Armstrong!

Quality quote!
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Matt_82 wrote:
    Moto70 wrote:
    It's amazing how often you hear this from bikers.
    You've taken it out of context, the whole post was in jest as shown by the bit that Jimmy quoted!
  • Yeah I knew you were kidding.

It just reminded me of how many times I've heard that claimed.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I can barely remember my course/test other than I'm surprised only 1 failed out of the 6 of us and that I thought I had failed when I got impatient waiting at a T junction in rush hour traffic and just joined as soon as I saw a gap that at best was just big enough for the 125cc I was on. It turned out that they were rating confidence and awareness highly that week so I was only asked one question (what happens when you carry a pillion passenger?) and then told I'd passed.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    adored wrote:
    Ideally don't want to spend more than a grand on the bike itself as I'll have to fork out for CBT, helmet etc. Bloody provisional license has already cost me £79 - robbing bastards.

I've been looking through some old copies of Scootering and think you might struggle to get a PX for less than £1300-£1500

Time was they attracted an even bigger premium when Piaggio announced they were being discontinued because of the emission laws, but that should have gone away a bit now as they brought them back to market by adding a cat.

You can try looking or asking on the local club forums, sometimes they have bikes for sale there. Or go along and ask round. Bit of a long shot.

These lot are the biggest round here, and localish to you
    http://www.freewebs.com/northernfacessc/

Newcastle Dragons don't appear to have a site anymore, from memory they meet somewhere off the coast road as well.

These lot have a site still
    http://wearsidewanderers.com/
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I've been looking through some old copies of Scootering and think you might struggle to get a PX for less than £1300-£1500 Time was they attracted an even bigger premium when Piaggio announced they were being discontinued because of the emission laws, but that should have gone away a bit now as they brought them back to market by adding a cat.

Yeah, considering they're only 3 grand brand new, there seem to be a lot of 10+ year old ones at £1500+

Fancy a trip to Manchester?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Not especially.

The LML is an Indian copy of a Vespa. They used the same moulds left in the factory when Piaggio officially withdrew from India. They are a cheap way to get something very close to a PX, and the parts are interchangeable, but they're not the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lohia_Machinery_Limited

If that's what you want to go for though I will come over.

I've got a lead on on a White PX125 (WReg 2000) via the Vespa Club of Great Britain board, hopefully he'll come back with good news and a non silly price.
  • Didn't even notice the LML thing. That's out then.

Cheers for the help fella, much appreciated.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    If you're going to spend £1,500 then why not see if Vespa are doing any 0% deals and go for a new one?

I was going to get a Honda 125cc on 36 month 0% (but my credit is shit) as it worked it out it would be free with the savings in fuel!
  • My credit is also randomly shit. Fine with mobile phone companies / estate agents / Virgin media for example, but shit with pretty much any bank including even my own despite regular wage & savings account etc.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    adored wrote:
    My credit is also randomly shit. Fine with mobile phone companies / estate agents / Virgin media for example, but shit with pretty much any bank including even my own despite regular wage & savings account etc.
    I ran up my credit cards when my wages were lower several years ago, also as I spent most of my time abroad I was basically living 2 lives on one set of wages so I struggled to keep on top.

Anyway fast forward quite a few years and I have a bank account that sees at least £1,700 a month going through it (my missus uses her own bank account) with around £2,500 - £5,000 a year more from private work each year, 2 credit cards that have around £600 per month between them spent and then paid in full every month (I've never missed a month in paying it off in full, ie never use the credit side of them) and yet I couldn't get the interest free credit, I was told that I could have credit though to buy the scooter but it would be with interest. I told them to stick it.

What pissed me off (though I am not blaming anybody else for me getting in debt back then) all those years ago, but I don't know if it's changed now, is that I have never once had the need to know how many oranges Peter can hold in one hand if Jane has a bag of apples in her hand. Not once was I ever taught in school about mortgages, credit cards, pensions and so on...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Pff, shit weather.... 

After that failed exam in November, the first lesson I had on the parking lot was a complete disaster, my mind was so focussed on what to do, that my body didn't do anything. So my instructors decided it would be time to have a lesson on the road (officially not allowed at most schools till you have your bike control). God, that did change me, loved it, wasn't afraid for one second, just the quick acceleration made me smile, was a shame that the other student (which was already allowed on the road, and therefore had to be first) was so god damn slow. Many times I've heard via the radio things like "as soon as it hits green, let others see you're on a bike, and speed up as fast as you can", but he just didn't do it. At one point he took a wrong turn (again, first few times I followed, didn't want to lose the other) and I decided to take the correct route. Instructor didn't matter, and she said it was ok for me to be in the leading position now.
    Not once I've heard the speed up comment again, and a few times I had a hard time seeing them in my mirror, but whatever, was having the time of my life. Was complimented at the end of that lesson, and I was sure that this really was something that I want to do.

Fast forward in time a bit (I couldn't get any lessons planned before the exam at the end of December, than Christmas and New Year happened) to about two weeks ago. First lesson again at the parking lot. Went a lot better, felt much more confident. The 180 turn and the figure 8 still won't happen, but all the others are at least sufficient. So I was ready for the exam next week (the 25th), feeling sure that with the 3 lessons I had planned I'd be able to make it, and go for the other exam by the end of February, start of March. Now snow has happened, both my lessons this week have been cancelled, not sure about those next week and if the exam won't be cancelled. 
    Quite disappointed, and am not sure if I can do the exam if I don't get the chance to have some more lessons, don't want to throw 200+ euro's away.

Meh, I'd really want to be on the bike again, cold doesn't matter that much, but the snow does.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I reckon you'll be fine.

If the NL examiners are anything like the UK ones then they're surprisingly not dickish.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm lucky with my school re examiners. For the bike control exam they don't do individual exams, they always have one day in the month reserved and then another parking lot is used for the whole day. The examiners are always in a good mood on those days, as all the instructors I have are great persons, and everyone that doesn't have an exam (or has just passed it) has a good time together.

Just getting nervous that the exam might be the first day on the bike again after two weeks of a winterstop.

Most frustrating part is that my bike is already in the garage, although it needs a few fixes. Most important ones are the tiny hole in the tank (luckily it's on the top, so no spillage while on the way) and that the battery isn't great anymore, this one has hardly been used for over a year. Bas can get it working by putting the bike in second gear, run a few meters and hit the gas. Has made for some fun moments at traffic lights that.
    Want to give it a re paint as well, not that big a fan of this dark blue, was more thinking of an orange-ish/red colour.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I've got to knock up a banner for a local bike shop and they have this in stock...

2008 Vespa GTS 250 - £2,495

mediaid82188630_zps196fa560.jpg

mediaid82188633_zps9b1a4a50.jpg

My main worry is that it would get used a lot in all weather plus I don't have a garage so it would be left out and that chrome looks like it might need some tlc...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    That's a nice bike. You see those vents on the side of the leg shield... they blow hot air on your legs. Mmmmm, hot air.

Rip the God awful fly screen off and you'd have good looking bike. Bit overpowered for a local commuter, a 250 will pull 70+ easy. I wouldn't worry about the chrome, somehow it manages to weather the elements. At my old old house both my bikes lived outside with covers on, they were fine.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Bit overpowered for a local commuter, a 250 will pull 70+ easy.

I wouldn't worry about the chrome, somehow it manages to weather the elements. At my old old house both my bikes lived outside with covers on, they were fine.
    It was the 250 bit that made me interested, we have a two lane climb out of our town and from the start of that all the way to my work it is 60mph roads. I thought the screen might be good while it's cold and we're having non-stop rain and drizzle!

I'll have a think over the weekend, just out of curiosity is it a buyers market at the mo and is that price about right or do you think I could get them down a bit?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I've no idea of GTS prices sorry. A quick look on eBay should show you what people are asking for trade and private examples.

Winter time should be a buyers market really, but having just been scouring the classifieds for a PX though I'd say for them it very much felt like sellers market. I dread to think what it'll be like in a few months.
  • At 70mph I'd be wanting that screen tbh.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, but you ride one of them foot forwards with ape hangers and saddle bags so you don't count :p
  • The saddle bags are off!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-1322-1360008241-0.gif
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I don't have a child, but I'm pretty sure that would be my first thought as well.
  • He seems very nonchalant about it.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Serves him right for having an automatic.

Which, after passing my CBT yesterday brings me to my new bike...
    px125.jpg
    Massive, massive thanks to Mod, who has been an absolute legend over the last couple of months, offering advise and assistance way above and beyond what anyone could reasonably expect.

@Moto70, how is your sticker producing set-up these days? May need to commision something from yourself if you're still able to.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Look how shiny it is!

And you're more than welcome.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    adored wrote:
    Serves him right for having an automatic. Which, after passing my CBT yesterday brings me to my new bike... px125.jpg Massive, massive thanks to Mod, who has been an absolute legend over the last couple of months, offering advise and assistance way above and beyond what anyone could reasonably expect. @Moto70, how is your sticker producing set-up these days? May need to commision something from yourself if you're still able to.
    whatever you want, free of charge because I'm drunk! Obviously within reason but just PM with what you want...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!