Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    open any birthday cards
    You as well?

indeed, i knew there were someone else but with no forum history to check and rubbish memory i were lost,
    now i remember.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    awwwwwwwww.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Normally Xmas Day runs over 4 days. One day with my Mum, one day with my Dad, one day with my step-mum and a day with the in-laws. 

Only 3 days this year as my Dad told me last Friday he was emigrating to the US. 3 days later. Absolutely no warning signs prior to this, so I can only imagine he's murdered someone or I'm about to get bailiffs giving me a visit.
  • Ill join in on this thread then.  My family doesn't really do Xmas now that we're all grown up with careers and adult life and such, so this year I've been invited to join my gf's family in Jersey for the week of Xmas. Apparently her parents host the worlds most over the top family Xmas, complete with big meal, Xmas jumpers, carol singing, decorations everywhere etc. I'm equal parts excited and also scared... This will also be the first time I've met them.  I smell a tv sitcom episode

Meet the Parents vs National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I'll watch that..
  • hindu prominent house has not much care for Christmas except what's on the telly and my dads first break in a while coz he's a postman.
  • Postman Patel?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Not quite! My school was featured in readers digest for having the most Patels though.
  • Christmas is supposed to be at my sister-in-law's, as they've just moved into a new place, which breaks the eight year trend of me hosting the family dinner, which is a bit annoying.  On the plus side, they've had a leak and their kitchen is currently being heated and ventilated, and will probably need a refit, so I'm on standby.  On the minus side for them, their pikie chancer neighbours have claimed the leak has ruined all the furniture in their front room, and have already put two old sofas, a table and an armchair on a skip (where it's been handily been getting soaked by the rain).  Must've been some damp.
  • Christmas is at my Grandparent's house (Mum's side) this year. This is my favourite setup for Christmas of the three possibilties (at my Parent's, at my Grandparents on my Step Dad's side) as my Grandparents are pretty cool and have lots of wine everywhere.

Thing is, we're a bit of a hands off family, no hugging or any of that shan stuff, and Christmas has been on a permanent thrift since my Mum was made redundant, so it is never really what i'd call 'warm' and we don't go in for the Carol nonsense etc and my Step Dad's parents are one half overly pandering to my Brother and another half stuck up twats so they'll inevitably bring the mood down somewhat.

My Grandparents do have a Pub Skittle table, so that will be brought down, and i'll probably wrangle some family into playing boardgames and stuff, it'll be pretty good if so.

Idealy I'd like to go and see my Dad and his Partner with my Girlfriend after Christmas, to see The Hobbit and lay on the floor and let those micro dogs play havoc for hours and stuff.

NOT THAT ANY OF YOU CARE
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    i always want to go to tokyo.
    i never will, this saddens me.

reg has a cinema room!!!!
    Correction- REG'S PARENTS HAVE A CINEMA ROOM COZ THEY ARE MONEYBAGS

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have nothing:(
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Presents and food and drink and family and friends and kisses and handshakes and snow and shit TV and games and time off fucking work and lots of happiness. 

Religion isn't even an afterthought, glorious. In your face Baby Jebus.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep, it really is time to take our traditional winter solstice based celebrations back from those religious types who have hijacked it over the past couple of millennia.

I'm looking forward to Christmas this year. I haven't seen my family since last Chrimbo so that'll be nice. I expect it'll be the usual affair, presents in the morning, non-turkey based dinner (most of us don't eat meat), just me, my brother and my parents and possibly our own yank friend of the family who often joins us for lunch. Probably a pretty sober affair too, neither of my parents drink and so me and my brother are unlikely to be getting pished. But still, I can't wait.
  • Christmas is a bit more difficult as my GFs family is in Torquay, and we live in Bristol. She doesn't really get on with her sisters (they are both 20 years or so older) so it would just be seeing her mum and dad. Now we have the kid, this makes things tricky.

I've got two brothers, a sister in law, and a nephew here. We have Christmas dinner with the whole bunch, and my grandparents on Christmas eve, and Christmas day is a really fun day of presents, drinking, eating and just having a good time. Normally the consoles are out for some gaming with my bros, board games are played and so on. It's awesome.

My GFs parents just basically sit in their front room all day, watch TV, and have dinner. Boring as fuck, for someone like me who wants the time to spend with my family playing games and having a laugh.

Normally, I would suggest that the parents come and stay with us for a few days, that way we can see them, but also do my family thing. Trouble is, GFs mum isn't very well at the moment so travelling might be out of the question, which could throw up the issue of us going down to them. Obviously my GF wants to see them, but I reallllly don't want to go, and I would imagine our son would go with her so there is the possibility of not seeing him Christmas day. He'd also have a much better time at my families on the day.

So a nice, difficult conversation to be had pretty soon.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Nothing much, which is just the way I like it. It is but another day.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I've asked if I could have all 3 days off this year (so Eve, and both the Christmas days), as Sinterklaas (which is officially 5 and/or 6 December) is already proving to be a pain in the ass to organise. After quite a bit of discussion (apparently, is close to madness to some people in Bas his family that I asked for them to come over, as I have to work both days this weekend. 1,5 hour in the car is too much for some) my weekend will look like this: work 12-7, than probably no time to redress or get a shower, drive south for 1,5 hour, have a few hours of presents/sarcastic poems and probably silly costumes, go to bed not too late, than in the morning drive north for 1,5 hours to be at work again at 12. Not looking forward to that.

So Christmas here is usually about the food, no presents, my mom has already claimed us to come over for dinner at the 1st Christmas day (which is apparently at my godfather's pub, the two seem to have gotten quite close over time, but no speak of a relationship yet, confuses the hell out of me), so we'll have to see which day suits Bas his mom (which will probably be the same day, these things are never easy) and hopefully I'll have some time with just Bas, or maybe some friends as well.
    So Christmas will be spend driving around the country again, we live in Amsterdam, Bas his mom 1,5 hours southwards, from there it's about 1 hour eastwards to get to my mom, than about 2 hours towards the north again to get home.

Hmpf.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm only going to call Christmas Sinterklaas from now on.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    We were always told Sinterklaas was here first, and Santa Claus is just the way the Americans pronounced it, and made their own party around it all.

Not sure if it's true, at least Santa's little helpers aren't that much a problem in the current world. Sinterklaas has loads of black men walking around on the roofs in the winter, to push presents into the chimney. There is talk in this country that it's wrong to have black men working for you in this day and age, but it's all about tradition, right?
  • I saw a film about it and Sinterklaas was a horrible Pope or something who had been burned alive on a ship full of children he'd snatched to take away as slaves and instead of being black his helpers were charred and burnt, rub a dub dub, is this true?
  • I bought my new neice a snare drum and some drumsticks because she bangs her fists on every surface she can, which amuses her greatly, but as she's only nine months old I guess I'll be playing it all day, pretending to be The Stone Roses' very own Reni now then now then.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @Tempy was it this film? That's supposed to be a horror story, although Sinterklaas was used to scare children. We were always told if we weren't good kids for the whole year, one of the Zwarte Pieten (the black helpers) would take you with him and you would be on your way to Spain (where Sinterklaas is supposed to come from every year, but originally it's Turkey I think).

I loved the whole thing as a kid, was a very long believer as well (think I was one of the last in my class to realize it was all a set up), but I just didn't want to realize it. He arrives in November, on a ship from Spain, then it's putting your shoe in front of the fireplace in the evenings, with a carrot in it, plus some pretty drawings. Carrot was for the horse of Sinterklaas, drawings were hints for Sinterklaas as to what to get you. In the mornings you'd get out of bed as quick as possible, hurry downstairs to check if something was in your shoe. Sometimes a small present, candy or mandarines. Then on the last day, it's present overload usually.
  • Yes, it was Saint!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Is it watchable? I know it got pretty good reviews here, but it just seems to clash with everything I loved about this whole period.
  • I've got Christmas and Boxing Day off this year.  Parents can't come, as they're visiting my brother in New Zealand, so will just be the 4 of us, my step brother, and my brother in law.  Christmas will go something like this:

Woken by sound of kids arguing about whether or not it's too early to wake us.
    Groan and tell kids it's alright to come in.
    Get jumped on, then feign surprise at the wonderful things Santa has brought them.
    Read thrilling letter from Santa I wrote the night before.
    Open my own stocking and show genuine surprise at the wonderful things Santa's brought me.
    Insist the kids at least eat breakfast before they can open any of the pressies under the tree.
    Eat breakfast, then open presents.  (Mine will take 5 minutes, and consist mainly of bottles of whiskey from well meaning patients who don't know I'm teetotal.  The kids will take all morning courtesy of various benevolent relatives.)
    Cook Christmas dinner.
    Eat Christmas dinner.
    Feel slightly sick. 
    Play with kids and/or toys.
    Watch Doctor Who.  (For a variety of long winded reasons TV is banned on Christmas Day except for Who.)  Complain that it was a bit rubbish.
    Point out to the kids that they don't need an evening meal because they've spent the entire day eating already.
    Make something quick for the kids to have as an evening meal.
    Persuade kids to sleep.
    Start watching movie/ playing game that wasn't suitable in front of a child audience.
    Get interrupted at an inopportune moment by a child who can't get to sleep.
    Watch rest.  Eat chocolate.
    Sleep.

Boxing Day will be spent with my In-Laws, who being Muslim don't actually celebrate Christmas, but being In-Laws are none the less very insulted if we don't come over.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Has anyone tried bringing up kids without the Santa lies? I mean to ask the people who use the 'holiday' to congregate with friends and family and not those who actually see value in the religious celebration.

I worked it out pretty young and spread the news only for my aunt to tell me off as a cousin was desperately upset. 

I didn't tell the lie but it affected me in the sense that I grew up thinking those closest to me were false.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Its just the two of us this year, I'll wake up alone 'cause the lady is sleeping at work on Chrimbo Eve.
    She'll get home at 0800ish and I'll bust out some Michael Bubble whilst singing along, totally ruining the classics but getting right into the festive spirit. I'll make her a fancy poached egg on toast and I'll stuff as much smoked salmon and Philly in my mouth as I can. We start with a nice champagne.

After that we fully get into the swing of things, tear open all the presents and polish off the bubbly whilst trying to eat the small mountain of snacks, sweets and nuts we've squirrelled away over the last month.

Lunch gets kicked off, probably with her shouting at me 'cause I'll be on Halo/Dishonoured/Far Cry 3/something and will take command of the lunch by standing around, stirring the occasional pot and generally doing nothing bar singing shockingly badly.

Dr Who is my 1 tv show, she'll have the standard Enders/Corrie and we'll just lay around in a typical Christmas food coma. Cheese, biscuits and few glasses of port will be had and two individual small puddings to really hammer home that great feeling of a day well spent.

Oh and I'll probably phone around the folks/friends at some point and discuss the day and spoils.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    This thread is equal parts happy and sad  : /

Sinterklaas get!
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have to say it is tinsel-fest with me - exterior decorations (not OTT mind), a brace of artificial trees inside and the odd battery powered singing reindeer head - all up by the 2nd weekend in December.

Church on Xmas Eve - I'm not a follower but the wife is and it's a tiny sacrifice for the general peace-on-my-earth that results - I also feel a bit self-rightous even though it isn't "my" church (I crossed the great N.Ireland divide when I married).

Two daughters are breaking into teens but still behind the average a tiny bit on the maturity curve (there's enough time for growing up) and way on up girlie curve - adds to the occasion.

Day has mother-in-law and bro-in-law over for food etc.

Day after is at my mother's for second wave of gift swap - generally knee deep in babies and noise generated from my siblings and their boistrous offspring.

I try and get the next few days off ( at my level I usually can - sometimes go in for a day because it's really quiet and a piece of piss - also much craic to be had with half-pissed or recovering singletons).

English in-law mob usually arrives during this period.

New Year's Eve is at ours - I'm dishing out cocktails to a smorgasbord of neighbours, friends and the odd relative...

Usually head to back work day kids drag themselves back to school - usually feel a bit down after it but that feeling has eased in recent years for some reason - probably because the years are going by far too quickly and there's always another event on the horizon seemingly.

Understanding wife usually gets me some sort of gadgetry or game-related nonsense - or even the odd nicety such as Miles Davis Bitches Brew collectors edition with vinyl, CD and DVD etc. which was nice surprise last year.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Oh my, I'd like that lots
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    You may join me for xmas Tempu.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!