Remember remember the 25th of December
  • Muppets and Griswolds are absolute favourites at camp dive. My Dad will drop everything at the mere mention of griswolds.

Band of Brothers is a good shout. Anything claymation gets a decent look in too.

For some reason Indiana Jones always goes down well at Xmas.
  • The Princess Bride, although not especially Christmas-esque itself, is always on around this time, so that and Home Alone and A Charlie Brown Christmas and something else that I've forgotten.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I like Bon Voyage Charlie Brown, also Garfield's Halloween Adventure.  Not big on the Xmassy ones, besides Yogi Bear's First Christmas of course.  It's mainly comedy at mine.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    National Lampoon, innit.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Possibly that.  I'll float Let The Right One In as Xmas fare perhaps.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • National Lampoon, innit.
    DS knows. I would sacrifice every other film of Xmas to catch this.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Crystal Maze used to be on Christmas Eve before The Snowman. Fuckasnowman,give me O' Brien's harmonica playing whimsy
  • regmcfly wrote:
    The Crystal Maze used to be on Christmas Eve before The Snowman. Fuckasnowman,give me O' Brien's harmonica playing whimsy

ah kids you done shite but I have a magic button that will make you win!

Also a preview of the new series games always an exciting moment!
  • Last year was my first Christmas away from home. I spent it in Hong Kong and had a fantastic time, but I'm extremely excited to be back with my parents and siblings this year. I'm also taking the cats home!

I love Christmas so much. Just relaxing with the family, not feeling the need to do much, but just being in each others' company. It's not that big a deal in Korea, but there are still a few Christmas trees out and about and the coffee shops are offering seasonal drinks.
  • Christmas film viewing should include Gremlins, where possible.
  • Elf, though a recent entry, has become compulsory xmas viewing in the house of Rouj. 

Also shout outs to the Crystal Maze, bitches don't know shit about game shows these days.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Rudolph and the Island of Misfit Toys. <3

Elf is a cracker though, to be true.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re films, the Alistair Sim version of Scrooge is still definitive - though I'm partial to the musical one with Albert Finney. Wonderful life is probably the best ever though - and The Snowman is another favourite too.

Fanny & Alexander is another one I'll try and make time for - Bergman's opus is very approachable - has a marathon Christmas bit at the start and then it moves into a bit which gets resolved with magical goings on.

Booting up Christmas Nights on ye olde Saturn is a must too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Last night with mrs reg before we go our separate ways is Its A Wonderful Life, mince pies and mulled wine. Fucking love dat movie.

Gremlins is back in cinemas for one day only on 11th Dec. get ye to it. Also a great film.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Eyes Wide Shut is set at Christmas time and makes for some wonderful Kubrick sets.

• Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Good heavens, fly on the wall.

"I'll just pop August Underground on, ok mum?"

"Alright dear"
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Last night with mrs reg before we go our separate ways is Its A Wonderful Life, mince pies and mulled wine...
    For how long?

When I worked for Nissan I'd be in France for the 3 weeks leading up to Christmas so I'd miss loads of things with my missus, kids and mates. It was horrible, you just cracked on counting down the days...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh only about a week. Nothing major like yours.
  • Presents and food and drink and family and friends and kisses and handshakes and snow and shit TV and games and time off fucking work and lots of happiness.  Religion isn't even an afterthought, glorious. In your face Baby Jebus.

I'm glad that I won't be the only going with the traditional Chrimbo! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I want to make Mary Berry's ice-cream Christmas pudding recipe at some point this year. I am DETERMINED.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Christmas will go something like this:

Woken by sound of kids arguing about whether or not it's too early to wake us.
    Groan and tell kids it's alright to come in.
    Get jumped on, then feign surprise at the wonderful things Santa has brought them.
    Read thrilling letter from Santa I wrote the night before.
    Open my own stocking and show genuine surprise at the wonderful things Santa's brought me.
    Insist the kids at least eat breakfast before they can open any of the pressies under the tree.
    Eat breakfast, then open presents.  (Mine will take 5 minutes, and consist mainly of bottles of whiskey from well meaning patients who don't know I'm teetotal.  The kids will take all morning courtesy of various benevolent relatives.)
    Cook Christmas dinner.
    Eat Christmas dinner.
    Feel slightly sick. 
    Play with kids and/or toys.
    Watch Doctor Who.  (For a variety of long winded reasons TV is banned on Christmas Day except for Who.)  Complain that it was a bit rubbish.
    Point out to the kids that they don't need an evening meal because they've spent the entire day eating already.
    Make something quick for the kids to have as an evening meal.
    Persuade kids to sleep.
    Start watching movie/ playing game that wasn't suitable in front of a child audience.
    Get interrupted at an inopportune moment by a child who can't get to sleep.
    Watch rest.  Eat chocolate.
    Sleep.

Boxing Day will be spent with my In-Laws, who being Muslim don't actually celebrate Christmas, but being In-Laws are none the less very insulted if we don't come over.

This is almost my Xmas day(kinda scary), minus bottles of spirits from patients & the visit to the Muslim in-laws on boxing day, as its only been the last year of 17 they have actually started to speak to me. Throw in being a semi-drunk ninja whilst putting stockings on bed at a crazy time in Xmas morning & having a traditional pint or 2 with my brother at our local on the day & its almost word perfect.
  • cindemon wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Christmas stuff.
    This is almost my Xmas day(kinda scary), minus bottles of spirits from patients & the visit to the Muslim in-laws on boxing day, as its only been the last year of 17 they have actually started to speak to me. Throw in being a semi-drunk ninja whilst putting stockings on bed at a crazy time in Xmas morning & having a traditional pint or 2 with my brother at our local on the day & its almost word perfect.

Weirdly, this has probably become my absolute favourite bit of Christmas, and I'm dreading the time when the kids will be too old for me to do it.  Sneaking in whilst they sleep - and creating that bit of magic that I used to love so much as a child myself - makes me so disproportionately happy that last year I nearly woke my daughter because I was giggling so much...
  • Yeah, that must be one of the super awesome bits of being a parent.

:D

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yep - enjoy it while it lasts - even a year or two in primary school sees the rumours going around.

Our younger daughter was pretty "well informed" on the subject but the older one seemed to be holding onto it - I had the task to revealing the lie when she was almost 11 - and she cried sore for a good 20minutes. It was heart wrenching - it was like pulling someone into the first part of the shitty adult world.

She was aware of the rumours and outwardly passed herself in company - but inwardly believed it because we told her it was true...feck.

Fine soon after - wanted to know all the details of hiding places etc. But doing it was like breaking someone bad news and they know its coming but are somehow in denial - wasn't easy.
  • davyK wrote:
    Yep - enjoy it while it lasts - even a year or two in primary school sees the rumours going around.

I hate this evil of the world.  Aware of it, I have sounded out my eldest 2 during the summer before the Xmas of potential knowledge, based on what I know & the mutterings of the better half.  Both times they have confirmed what I was thinking, they knew.  Still felt like a badger/cunt for bringing it up tho.  Thank the stars my youngest is 4 as I reckon its my Naths(2nd youngest)last year of belief, & g(always loved ya gospal) its awesome because becoming part of the myth/lie somehow brings the Xmas magic back you felt, as a child ten-fold.
  • As long as they never stop believing in Krampus; that's the important thing.
  • krs wrote:
    As long as they never stop believing in Krampus; that's the important thing.

This is soooooooo huge in my world!  

Internet, cindy was scarred by the image of his old man placing a stocking on his bed for many a Xams after.

Parents, Way of the Ninja, drunk or not, is the way!
  • krs wrote:
    As long as they never stop believing in Krampus; that's the important thing.

My brother in law (lives in Salzburg) sent me a video last week that he took in a nightclub of about 20 guys dressed in full Krampus gear, massive horns, claws, pelts and all, all rocking out to Back in Black by AC/DC.  Quite a sight.

Christmas this year will consist of:
    23rd Dec - Xmas dinner with brother and sister in law (over from Austria until 24th), mother in law (who is working through xmas) ans some others from the wifes family from down here who have nowhere else to go.  

24th Dec - Work, followed by doing something christmassy with the kids.  Then prepare for getting kids to bed by leaving a carrot for Rudolph and a mince pie and a glass of very specific malt whisky for Santa.  Finish wrapping presents, creeping about like aforementioned ninja with stokcings, then bed.

25th Dec - Up at stupid o'clock (actually, they've both slept in on xmas day for the last couple of years), which is really no different from every day, open the stockings on our bed and then downstairs for uber-excitement and shrieking from both boys.  Breakfast for both before any presents are opened, then wait for mother in law to come over to witness the present carnage before her late shift commences on an adult elderly mental health ward (Merry Christmas!).  Commence present apocalypse, commenting of how ludicrous the amount of presents is - promising to keep a lid on it next year - and make a posh breakfast for the adults.  Play with the kids and open my own presents (games and booze mainly), then prepare for travel.

Lunchtime, drive the 150 miles to my mums house (which we wouldn't normally do, but she's own her own for the first time this year) and commence prep on the 2nd xmas dinner - I'll be doing my famous pork, sage and chestnut stuffing balls (well, they're famous to me at least and are the most awesome thing about dinner) - which also includes commencing drinking.  I think I'll be on the Teuthy Rexs again this year (3 fingers of Kraken Rum, topped with a bottle of Crabbies and a wedge of lime).  Eat about 5, after the rest of the family returns from in-laws, and open second round of presents.  Continue to drink and nibble throughout evening, chatting and perhaps playing games if we don't all have the meat-sweats.

Christmas for us is all about the kids now, and is the better for it.  While I'm not a fan if the build up, I do love the day itself.  It's simultaneously hectic yet relaxing and thankfully religion never gets in the way - although if the big JC does turn up, he's welcome to a dram and a shot on twister.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Forgot about the leaving the carrot and mince pie out. The kids wanted a glass Coke bottle left too (power of ads - eh?) and after they were dispatched to bed I would recap the bottle after consuming - so adding to the mystery the following morning. Bits of carrot were thrown around outside as crumbs from the reindeer's mouth.
  • davyK wrote:
    so adding to the mystery the following morning. Bits of carrot were thrown around outside as crumbs from the reindeer's mouth.

It's all in the detail, I love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!