SteamBox aka Steamy Gabecube aka SteamOS
‹ Previous123456799
  • A new thread on the new Steam Box by Valve.
    Anyone check out the new Steam interface yet?
    It's very.........consoley. 
    Or consoledised....
    Or whatever.

Is there even room for a fourth player in the console wars?

Someone at Forbes seems to think so.....Click me

edit: added linky to make OP more interesting
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I'm not sure really.

It'll be interesting seeing how Valve approach it, with the pricing of games and downloads etc. I suppose it'll be a test if a download approach will work. I can't see myself buying one right now, but will be keeping an eye on it.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Wonder what OS will form the basis of the firmware? 
    Windows? Linux? 
    Definitely interesting to see Valve make the jump to the living room. They are a huge player and definitely not one to be underestimated.

Still not convinced on the interface though.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I reckon this will turn out well. How well though, it's hard to say.

Somehow, I reckon that Oculus Rift thingy will feature in their plans... Everytime I read a story about that
    thing, a name of a Valve employee invariably crops up...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Half Life 3 is coming!
    Or maybe not...
  • The Steam Box also marks the start of the seperation of Steam and Windows.
    Steam will become platform agnostic (for the most part).
    I still suspect Gabe eyeing Linux to be the future home of Steam Box. 
    Makes sense financially, why pay MS royalties for windows when there's an obvious open source solution?
  • Whilst the platform agnostic bit makes sense, how about the affect that will have on the games? The number of Linux games available on Steam is tiny in comparison to Windows isn't it?
  • If they could deliver a gaming PC for £400, it would be a good deal if people were willing to take the savings they'd make buying from Steam into account. I'd still be worried that it would be more prone than a console to falling behind technologically. What does Battlefield 3 look like on a 2007 gaming rig?

Linux makes a lot of sense in terms of ditching an expensive OS that you shouldn't need in theory if all you want to do is play games, but in practice, it seems vital for games at the moment. I don't know if Valve are big enough to change that. I wonder actually if the whole thing is a bluff aimed at MS.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Steam box yearly editions like iPads.
  • How is this shit even going to work? Seriously?

It's a PC for the living room. Presumably it will be similar in hardware specs to the Nextbox and the PS4 and similar in price?

Will it have a disc drive? If it's a steam box and running Linux (!? srs !?) I guess it's going to be digital downloads only? So you probably aren't going to be watching any dvds on the thing. 

Presumably devs will need to port their games to Linux to run on a steam box?

It sounds like hassle. Newell is all like 'Ooh I think PC manufacturers will be releasing PCs for the living room from next year' lots of people already have a PC for their living room, they either have a 360/PS3 or an actual PC in there already to play games on, or they have a laptop, or a tablet. 

What sector of the market is the Steambox designed to fill? Because I can't find it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • 2nd or 3rd console for gamers.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have about 100 games on steam. If ican transfer those to a steam box and play them on my tv... Well. Boom.
  • Sweet, all them Linux based games I have yet to play can finally be mine!

Edit @ Reg - You could spend as much on a steambox on the equivalent PC and just plug that into your TV and play Steam games now on your big TV, or just move your PC into the lounge and hook it up to the TV if you do lots of PC gaming already.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Would never move pc into lounge. Feels a bit transgressive. Have always traditionally had a pc room, want to keep it that way. For your first one, it just depends on what a Steambox costs I guess
  • Your back catalogue won't work though, will they?
  • I imagine the steambox has to be equal or less than the next MS or Sony offering. Unless it is going to be more powerful, but if they launch with a Linux OS with the resultant smaller catalogue of games are people going to opt for it over one of the 3 main consoles?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Am I the only one here thinking that SteamBox sounds like a gay sauna?
  • No.

But I'm going to exhaust all the other avenues of logical reasoning as to why it will probably be shit before I round on the name. Anyway it's a less gay name than WiiU.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    How is this shit even going to work? Seriously? It's a PC for the living room. Presumably it will be similar in hardware specs to the Nextbox and the PS4 and similar in price? Will it have a disc drive? If it's a steam box and running Linux (!? srs !?) I guess it's going to be digital downloads only? So you probably aren't going to be watching any dvds on the thing.  Presumably devs will need to port their games to Linux to run on a steam box? It sounds like hassle. Newell is all like 'Ooh I think PC manufacturers will be releasing PCs for the living room from next year' lots of people already have a PC for their living room, they either have a 360/PS3 or an actual PC in there already to play games on, or they have a laptop, or a tablet.  What sector of the market is the Steambox designed to fill? Because I can't find it.

This is my opinion exactly (except for the Linux bit, because it'll mean FA to the user).

My mate showed me his Apple TV thing the otherday... Shit was dope.

If someone made a set to box with a Wi-Fi / Net connection, integrated net based TV, a proper games channel, decent graphics and an optional retina seering headset for £220 or less, then I would buy it*

Especially for the chance to play Half Life 3.

What's more, web based TV works surprisingly well these days... If I was minted, I'd buy a web TV box over an equivalently priced blue ray player...

But if that was all that Valve released, I would be fucking surprised...

This thing will turn out to be quite nifty... 

You'll see.

*Hmm That sounds suspiciously like an XBOX 360...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Hardware potentially by multiple hardware manufacturers though? A new platform using a new OS that could potentially pack a greater hardware punch than equivalent hardware available at the time? 

I'm having flashbacks to the 3DO.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    This is my opinion exactly (except for the Linux bit, because it'll mean FA to the user).

I think it will matter to the end user.

1A96g

1A96S

1A97Q
  • I guess Valve is thinking; "Build it and they will come"?
    The Linux Box that is.
  • They really need to get a lot further down the road with Linux games before I can see this working, even if they do manage a miraculously low price. No EA either, how long before the other big publishers follow that stance.
  • I want one, then again I've always had a bit of a hard on for valve. As described by Gonzo is my wet dream of a console. If it played the valve noise when you turned it on if probably explode with excitement.
  • There's something niggling away at me re this thing. Something saying "How would it work?". But I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly that is making me doubt.

I don't see how they are going to deliver the performance that a £900 rig can bring, which for me, is the reason to buy a gaming PC, for less than £400.
    Or maybe it has something to do with the impression I have of the PC market. For me a market driven by constant hardware change and evolution. But this thing by nature would appear to be a little more static. I certainly wouldn't be buying a new Steambox at, let's say, £300 every year to keep up to pace. 
    But then if the rumours are true then the Nextbox is probably just going to be a cut down PC, so why wouldn't this work?

I guess if this was released around the same time as the Nextbox for maybe £100 more but could still blow it out the water playing games at stupid res and silky frame rates a year after release then I am in.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    The move to cloud gaming was supposed to remove the need for anything other than a basic terminal and may yet.  Anyway, solves the problem dunnit.  SteamLive?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • It could be that Valve has been eyeing Google and their work on Android.
    As of late it's no secret Valve hasn't been too happy with their Windows overlords and by now they're thinking: if Google can do it, so can we?
    That is take Linux, develop it, mold it to your liking and integrate it with your own hardware. Google did it, no reason Valve can't either.

And why not, MS has been quite vague about allowing 3rd party stores in Windows8 which would potentially leave the steam store out in the cold hampered by its lo-visibility. How is Steam to thrive in such an environment? Perhaps it can't and therefore the only solution is to launch your own hardware platform.
  • i think the question really is whether they could get the library of PC games onto it.  if they just go linux 'as is' and hope developers follow them and start devloping for linux, then it's a big gamble... if they go with windows then they're just selling a valve branded pc with steam pre-installed, and you can't really see microsoft doing them too many favours if it's stepping on their xbox's toes, and again i think that will be a bit of a hard sell...the magical third option would be if they could develop their own OS based on linux, with their own hardware APIs and interfaces through steam framework, and in a way that it's really easy for developers to migrate from microsoft's directX type stuff...so you end up with a 'free' OS not tied to microsoft (so more of the cost can be on hardware), but all the 'windows PC' games on steam will work on it, so you can keep your existing library and not miss out on future 'PC' games too.  then i think people would get excited.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Skerret wrote:
    The move to cloud gaming was supposed to remove the need for anything other than a basic terminal and may yet.  Anyway, solves the problem dunnit.  SteamLive?
    Not for a little while yet.
    If you want sub par PS3 gaming in a small window with input lag and stalls then cloud gaming is your answer right now.
  • @Ram 
    You've touched on something else making it all bit huh hmmm to me. 

Option 1 - they are relying on devs to code specifically for it. So it's basically another console that might be easier to port to. But you still need devs to be arsed to do it. So not the magic PC gaming bullet I am after. 

Option 2 - The magic bullet.  But like you say, massively treading on MS's toes, so I can't see that happening and besides its declared Linux innit?

Option 3 - see option 1.
‹ Previous123456799

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!