Cyberpunk 2077 - new CDProjekt Red
  • Yup, Cyberpunk is now done - patches aside. Agreed that there’s room for more but hey ho.
  • I suppose given the launch, I can understand why they'd want to move on.

Still, if there are some patches to come, then maybe we will get some incremental improvements.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Paid for PL, the amount of people giving me "yo its big James Bond vibes" has me intrigued. Will fire up this weekend.
  • It's very Bond/M:I once it gets going, yeah.
  • Lol you can lock yourself out of the main storyline in PL by simply refusing to do stuff, and it's intentional. Love that.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Double dipped on this after trying out heroic launcher + GOG on steam deck to get it working. Tried every version of proton and it would load the first time, but subsequent loads kept crashing.

So, bought on Steam, which is what I should have done in the first place, and got the DLC bundle for £50, so I've effectively paid full price for the game.

Worth it though as it works at 60 fps on the deck, I followed this video and it does weirdly work.

• Think I've finally got into this a bit.

Only took 4 attempts to get to the title card.
    Spoiler:
  • It's tremendous. What a world.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just got the flathead again, so back at the beginning thought I prefer my new character build and the skill tree looks more fun. Plays well on the deck though that hack in the above video isn’t a hack but a bug. Thought it was playing slow and turns out it’s not actually running at 60 so knocked it down to 40 and works well.
  • I love this game so much. The story hasn't changed so I guess there was always a brilliant narrative buried in there but I didn't have the patience or imagination to see past the sloppyness on release.

So many things pulled you out. The driving and the way the npcs just went about the world was stupid. People walking in weird ways, cars driving crazy. It's not perfect now but it's enough to pull you into the world. It feels legit. Lots of little things ironed out just enough. 

Once you're invested in the world the new skill tree makes it easy to do extreme builds and the game lets you go wild with them without breaking the immersion. So many ways to play a given scenario it'll keep you entertained whilst going through the great story that was always there.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I thought the story was fine. It’s a great world to get immersed in, but the main narrative was serviceable at best, IMO.
  • Compared to what other action game?
  • Two games that I like reading positive feedback about but couldn't handle playing myself are this and Death Stranding.
  • Everyone's different. They're both in my top 10.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Compared to what other action game?

None, really, they all pretty much exist on a grading scale that runs from fine to shite.

The original Halo might just earn a good from me.
  • So if fine is your upper grade for this type of game then I don't understand the point of posting it was merely servicable other than I dunno, it's not Shakespeare.
  • Also, and I loved Halo, the narrative was good for a game of the time but it was still shite.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There are a ton of issues with the story. Characters and plot lines that are introduced which go nowhere, the majority of choices that you are given not actually mattering in the slightest. It’s not actually near the top of the scale for action game stories for me, it’s very middling, but it kept me going. I was interested to see the various endings at least, even if I stopped paying much attention to the story itself fairly quickly.
  • So, again, what is? And don't say Halo.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Prince of Persia The Sands of Time was pretty good, although mostly for the way that it played with narrative rather than the narrative itself. Oddworld games tended to do pretty well on a story front too, Abe’s Oddysee, Stranger’s Wrath. Hell, even the original Doom’s three sentences in the manual worked fairly well.
  • So you think the narrative of those games, manual or no, is better than Cyberpunk's characters?
  • I'm not arguing, maybe you do. I felt genuine affection for certain characters in cyberpunk. Never got that from a manual.
  • It baffles me when people moan about the story in TLOU2. As an interactive narrative* told in a cinematic style it's beyond anything I've played, yet it gets compared unfavourably to the best of TV. Which in itself is a compliment to really, because is videogame storytelling really that good? Mass Effect was an interesting universe imo. Firewatch. Finch.

FFVII? Not for me Clive.

*Pre-determined, but the player takes part.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There were a couple of good characters in Cyberpunk, but for the most part, they were pretty one-dimensional.
  • Like three sentences in a manual?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It baffles me when people moan about the story in TLOU2. As an interactive narrative* told in a cinematic style it's beyond anything I've played, yet it gets compared unfavourably to the best of TV. Which in itself is a compliment to really, because is videogame storytelling really that good? Mass Effect was an interesting universe imo. Firewatch. Finch. FFVII? Not for me Clive. *Pre-determined, but the player takes part.

Yes.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It baffles me when people moan about the story in TLOU2. As a videogame narrative told in a cinematic style it's beyond anything I've played, yet it gets compared unfavourably to the best of TV. Which in itself is a compliment to really, because is videogame storytelling really that good? Mass Effect was an interesting universe imo. Firewatch. Finch.

FFVII? Not for me Clive.

For me this just comes back to videogame stories generally being pretty shit, and even if you do happen across a good story in a game, it suffers from the fact that it’s being told in a game rather than via a medium better suited to storytelling.

I’m happier with games that dispense with the story as much as possible to let you enjoy those things that gaming does better than any other medium, as opposed to having to sit through things that other media does far better than videogames could ever hope to.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Like three sentences in a manual?

But I wasn’t expected to care about that. I was given a scenario and a motivation, which, frankly, was going above and beyond what was required, and the game did the rest.
  • I usually skip the story sections in games because they tend to be somewhere between fully shit and actually good, which just isn't rewarding. I like Zelda games but I probably couldn't tell you what happens in any of them between Ganon appearing and the eventual vanquishing. Some things are worth paying attention to though, but they often split opinon - I thought Oxenfree was great, for example*

Cyberpunk may or may not be in the club, but there is a club these days.

*I'd probably add Spiritfarer too. And Hobb's Barrow.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It baffles me when people moan about the story in TLOU2. As a videogame narrative told in a cinematic style it's beyond anything I've played, yet it gets compared unfavourably to the best of TV. Which in itself is a compliment to really, because is videogame storytelling really that good? Mass Effect was an interesting universe imo. Firewatch. Finch. FFVII? Not for me Clive.
    For me this just comes back to videogame stories generally being pretty shit, and even if you do happen across a good story in a game, it suffers from the fact that it’s being told in a game rather than via a medium better suited to storytelling. I’m happier with games that dispense with the story as much as possible to let you enjoy those things that gaming does better than any other medium, as opposed to having to sit through things that other media does far better than videogames could ever hope to.

So your argument is it's not shakespeare after all. Bit weird you loved the Doom manual then.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!