"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s not that it’s not Shakespeare, it’s that it’s not even Eastenders.
  • But Halo is?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nope. Games are shit at telling stories.

Edit: Although Halo than this does.
  • Moot is right and you are wrong, IMO.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    *sheugs*
  • To say videogames don't tell good stories is bizzare to me.
  • People used to say that about books. Some still do.
  • BURN THEM!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    People used to say that about books. Some still do.

You what now?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s a fundamental difference in telling a story in a medium that functions by providing words and/or images for you to pay attention to vs one that functions by allowing you to control what’s happening. It doesn’t seem at all bizarre to me to suggest that one of these might be less suited for relaying a story than another.
  • To say one artform is less expessive than another is odd. We had this years back with the "Are games art?". Of course they are you fucking lunatic. If you think they're 'less suited' that's your problem.
  • And this coming from Halo Doom guy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Less expressive are your words. I’m saying that certain mediums are better at expressing certain things than other ones. I don’t think that’s particularly controversial.

Games do world-building better than any other medium, no question, but they struggle with telling stories. Novels are fantastic at telling stories, but they struggle with painting an accurate picture of what someone looks and sounds like. Films nail what people look and sound like, and are great at telling stories, but those stories are limited by what can be shown in 90-180 minutes.

All mediums have things that they do well and things that they don’t do so well, if they didn’t, then we would t need them all.
  • Games can do words and films and pictures, and games. What the fuck are you on about?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Games can do all of those things, but what they can’t do is control the pacing of how they are doled out, it might have been four hours since your last story beat, four hours in which you’ve been getting frustrated to a point where the story has disappeared into the background. Nor can they compete with a player’s sense of agency within the game, you find a character annoying so you try to shoot them in the head but you’re not allowed, breaking immersion in the game and failing to gel with the fact that you shot 150 people in the head in the last level without issue. Nor can they account for the fact that while I’ve been standing here in a room explaining the next part of the narrative you’re supposed to be following, you’ve been jumping up and down on my desk and rifling through my drawers, which apparently I’ve either not noticed, nor felt the need to comment on. All of this breaks immersion, and all of it makes it harder to tell a story effectively.
  • Certainly harder than a Doom manual but I'm sure it'll get there.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My point with the Doom manual was that what was in there was effective for the medium. I mean, videogames grew out of experiences that offered no stories whatsoever. Pong was the first successful videogame, what was the story for that, exactly? Or Tetris? Space Invaders had a story entirely encapsulated by a two word title, that was all you needed, much like a few sentences in the Doom manual was all you needed as far as story goes to be able to redefine an entire medium.
  • Yet you think Cyberpunk is mediocre?
  • Oh yes, because it's not Dickens.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah, back to a reductive version of my argument that I’ve already responded to once already. Probably a good time to call this a night.

Laters SG.
  • Your argument was Halo is better than Cyberpunk's story. You're wrong.
  • That's apples to oranges anyway.
  • Idm apples, perfectly serviceable. I ate an orange ten years ago, that was good. But fruit isn't really suited to being tasty, unlike popcorn
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Remember lads: don't bother arguing with SG between the hours of midnight and 4am, thou shalt not win
  • I think it's also worth remembering that I was right.
  • I've unlocked the top tier skills in the Cool tree now. Am mixing it up with Reflexes to be a dashing, sliding, one-hit knife throwing machine. Feels awesome.

The story is subjective, but I find it well put together, even though I don't really like V as a character.
  • I think the main story was fine. Thing with Cyberpunk though is it's more the world building and the characters that it really excels at. You really have to dive in deep and put a lot of time into it to get the best out of it, but ultimately where it shines is with the journey you take and the friends you make along the way. That's the real top tier stuff.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I've redownloaded this following you lot singing it's praises. I enjoyed it a lot the first time I was playing it, but dropped off.

Am I right in they'll reset my skills even if I don't buy the dlc? So I need to refigure out my build. I was a proper runner last time, with some weapon skills too. But hacking cctv, other people etc was my jam.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yeah all skills stuff is reset and if continuing refunded.
    If you start fresh it's just the new system from the off.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!