What can staff do to make a visit to GAME better for you?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    As Elm stated, the Edinburgh one are good on twitter. I'd say I've really lucked out- my Game store is exemplary - the manager always comes to talk to me when I'm in (I do spend a whack of money in there, and bought my WiiU and so on in there) , they help constantly with purchases and chat with me about stuff. So them.

Which is the perfect example, as Reg could have got £20 off that WiiU AND had it delivered while he sat at home in his pants otherwise.  But I'd like to see the stores laid out so I can actually spend time chatting to someone about something game related without worrying that I'm holding up a line or occupying someone too busy.

Loyalty schemes really do work for me.  Even if you're only giving me 2p in the £ back, the fact that whatever you give me I have to spend at Game means you should be giving me opportunities to fill up on loyalty points.  Even if it means I'm getting a £5 discount on every game I ever buy from you, then that's fine; they're still games I wouldn't be buying from you normally!  So pre-order something?  Bonus 50 points.  Pick it up and pay in full?  Double points, 800 for a £40 game rather than 400.  Buy a bundle or the manual, or add anything to your order?  Bonus 250 points on top of the value of the items, and then quantify it; "thanks sir, you now have £26.54 in points on your card, and you got £4 of them with today's purchase!"
  • Looking at Roujin's post from the opposite perspective; online retailers can ONLY get the game to you on launch day, quickly, easily, cheaper, and without selling you tat you don't want.  Game could do a LOT more than that because you have real people there selling to real people, but instead, you use your people as a negative by getting them to sell crap and force bundles and warranties on people.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Stop asking me if I have a fucking loyalty card, and when I say no trying to force one on me every single time I go in. Have Trials set up so I can spend hours in there showing off, too.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Also sell more game related stuff, t-shirts etc. I hate buying clothes online so I'd spend a ton if you had some Trial/Borderlands/Far Cry t-shirts or stuff.
  • Stairs so DS can't get in and oversex the place
  • Game needs more sex but probably not of the DS kind
  • Stop asking me if I have a fucking loyalty card, and when I say no trying to force one on me every single time I go in. Have Trials set up so I can spend hours in there showing off, too.

But do sell them to people; "you should get a loyalty card because it's free, and this purchase alone will get you £2 of points that you can redeem straight away."

Do what America does and tie loyalty cards to cellphone numbers, so if you've left your card at home you can tap your number into a PIN pad thing and it finds you.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Stop trying to force bundles on me, stop trying to ram second hand games down my throat too.  If I've decided to buy a new one, maybe I just want the new one?  I don't care if a sweaty pre-handled copy is £2 cheaper. 
    I can’t speak for other stores, but for us, we’d only push a particular bundle if it’s really a much better offer. Like at the moment you can get a 4Gb 360 with a 320GB hard drive, Forza 4 and Skyrim for a tenner cheaper than a 250GB on its own.

As far as pre-owned goes, I don’t see what’s wrong with an offer. It depends what you mean by ramming it down your throat. I’ve seen people take issue with a simple offer of “Do you want this for £2 less”. That’s bollocks, if you don’t want it, just say no.  Some people haven’t seen it, but would prefer it. To me it’s poor customer service not to offer the choice.
    Elmlea wrote:
    Pre-release lock-ins or tournaments etc sound like they're going to attract loads of 15 year olds, which means you might be relying on parents to bring them etc.  I think demo access is difficult as so many games nowadays are so big that you're not going to get the immediate feedback from something unless it's a sports game or fighting game, or something of that ilk. 

Possibly, though we’re in a student heavy town, and if it’s an 18, they’d have to be 18. But yeah, otherwise you’re right.

Elmlea wrote:
    Social media; absolutely.  I was very impressed that one GAME in Edinburgh replied to my tweets about 3DS XL trade-ins, so that's absolutely essential.  If they had a Facebook page where I knew my question would get answered by someone local who knew what they were talking about, then I'd use it. 

Not every store does do this, but there are some. I’ve got lax with Twitter recently, so will make an effort to keep on top of it. Game Newcaslte are someone I think does Twitter really well.
    Elmlea wrote:
    The staff are the big thing though.  Right now it appears to be "can I help you find something?" followed by "would you like to pre-order/would you like this bundle/we have this pre-owned?" at the till.  No-one likes that sort of thing unless they're in their 70s buying for a young relative or something, so lesson one to your staff is that at 33, I was probably playing Spectrum games before they were born so they need to not bracket people by age!  

Not really sure what you mean by the last line. I think the can I help you thing is a personal thing though. I think it was Google who liked it because it meant he could get what he wanted and get out in the shortest possible time. When I’m shopping I also prefer someone who knows where everything is to get what I need for me.
    Elmlea wrote:
    Get staff who know what they're talking about and make sensible, serious recommendations.  Sure, hordes of people will just flood in to buy CoD, but when I'm picking up something esoteric that's your opportunity to try and point out to me a few things I might not have considered.  The stores might need redesigned to fit that though, as it's normally an assembly line at the till, so even if the guy notices that I've bought something wacky like Tenchu Z and realises I might like the older Hitman games, he doesn't have the chance to pull me aside, show me, and talk to me about them.  I will react favourably to someone who's smart enough to talk about Alpha Protocol because of what I'm buying, but not to someone going "DO YOU WANT TO PRE-ORDER COD AND FIFA" because they're the next big releases. 

Yeah, I absolutely agree with this. We’re lucky that we have this, though I’ve seen other stores where staff don’t have a clue. Usually management. It doesn’t take much to learn though, but if management don’t care, why is the 4 hours a week lad going to bother to find out more about the products?
    Elmlea wrote:
    The fact you have the people there in front of you is what makes you different from online.  You can make recommendations and think about what people might like by assessing them there and then, not running an algorithm on a website that says "people who bought X like Y.  BUY Y."  Sure, suggest pre-owned to me, but be open about it; I was impressed once where a guy in Gamestation said "I'd normally not recommend it, but the pre-owned version of this is on offer so you'll actually save £8 rather than £2, and if you're tempted, I'll make sure I find one where the DLC code hasn't been used?"  And off he trotted and came back with one with the code intact and unused, and even offered to fire it up on their test machine to make sure the disc worked. 

Having test machines is an issue there, but if you have it absolutely. Showing the quality is easy enough to do. “Do you want this?” as I show you a pristine disc doesn’t take much effort.

Elmlea wrote:
    Right now it seems it's mostly full of disillusioned people pushing the shit bundles that management want, and half the employees seem unsure of what they're selling.  If you can't tell the difference between the various models of DS then you shouldn't be working there.

This is a polar opposite to what we have, so yeah, if you’ve been in that store, I wouldn’t want to go back either.
  • In all honesty there really isn't much they could do for me.  I'm not a very social person so competitions etc would be lost on me and my decision on who I buy stuff from is based almost entirely on price.
  • Elmlea seems desperate to have folk sacked.  Maybe better training would help.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Stop asking me if I have a fucking loyalty card, and when I say no trying to force one on me every single time I go in. Have Trials set up so I can spend hours in there showing off, too.
    But do sell them to people; "you should get a loyalty card because it's free, and this purchase alone will get you £2 of points that you can redeem straight away." Do what America does and tie loyalty cards to cellphone numbers, so if you've left your card at home you can tap your number into a PIN pad thing and it finds you.

We have that sort of. If you have the Game app, you can use that instead of a card.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I dunno, um.

Knowledge, spend a bit of time edumacating staff on games. If you're gonna upsell pre-orders at least make them relevant, not just reel off a list of stuff out in the next 2 months.

"I see you have Sleeping Dogs in your hand, the Northpoint DLC was amazing, here buy some points so you can get it"
    "I see you have Bioshock 2 there. The sequel is out soon, thought about a pre-order?"
    "I see you're buying a Vita. You're a fucking idiot. Here let me show you our 3DS range"

Learn to tell the difference between a customer that wants help and one that doesn't.

If it's rammed at the tills people will just turn round and walk out. If you've got games in baggies behind the counter run down the queue and get them ready. Then might be a good time to temporarily kill the upsell debasement and Reward card whoring.

If you haven't got enough room in the stock room for big box items, tough. Stacking them in the window is not an acceptable alternative.

Keep an eye on demo pods. If a reasonably dressed middle aged man with slightly questionable hair is hovering by the WiiU pod there stands a good chance he's more likely to be buying one than the 12 year old scrote in school uniform who's been on it for the last 20 minutes.

Would it kill you to not treat PC games like a second class citizen? Squeezing 10 shelves worth of stock on to one because you've only allocated one section to them does not make for a pleasant browsing experience.

There now follows a rant about what GAME plc should do. Any reference to 'you' is GAME plc, not Dante, or anyone else on the shopfloor:

If you're going to ask me to pre-order a game but can't tell me what it costs then you (excuse my French) are a fucking moron.

Pre-ordering helps GAME a lot more than it does me. If you want MY help then tell me how much I'm commiting to pay for a game before taking £5 or whatever it is off me.

Stop charging for 'Reward' cards or whatever they're called this week. Want all my buying habit preferences and marketing opportunities? Sure, make it worth my while don't (excuse my French) fucking charge for it.

Don't upsell me at the till like a two bit market trader. Sell me something politely and efficiently then let me leave. No I don't want a strategy guide any more than I want a massive bar of chocolate with my newspaper.

Let me check online how much you want for a game, then reserve it in my local store, then have it available for me for (excuse my French) the same fucking price. NO, prices MAY NOT vary in store.

Stop selling second hand games dearer than new ones. Have some comprehension of the wider market, If retailer X are doing an offer match it. Or at least try to get close to it.

If you're going to sell non game but game related tat, which I do like the idea of, at least make it semi desirable, not the mankiest low rent licensed stuff imaginable.

Don't take the absolute piss with trade in prices. It's a good service to the gaming community. You treat it like a merciless cash cow and seriously risk killing golden goose. Mixed farmyard metaphor wahey.

And breathe.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    Elmlea seems desperate to have folk sacked.  Maybe better training would help.

Not really, I'd rather they employed the right people.  I get the impression that you're more likely to have experience behind the till at Boots get you a job in GAME than knowledge of the subject.  Makes sense in a way because it's just another retail outlet, but on the other hand it's more important than most that you know what you're selling.
  • I still think targeted, sensible upselling with a decent amount of time to think about it is fine.  It's just the "DO YOU WANT THIS NOW?" at the till when there's a queue that I hate.
  • Modlol. The Vita is awesome. Also reward cards are free.

Education though yes, 100%.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    FFS I CAN USE STAIRS
  • Looks like we're gettin the DS sex, panting and breathing and hurting as it will be
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Since when were they free? They used to be charged for. Why have I never heard someone say they're free. I read sites and enough posts here.

Nowhere on the GAME site does it say it's free. Not till you actually click the Signup and see £0.00
  • I walk into Game and am immediately put off by the ridiculous prices on entry and that just sets in my mind that whatever I buy, I'm going to be fleeced. £40 for a 3DS game? Really? A new copy of FC3 for £22.50 (v. reasonable) or a used one for £30. The staff in my one are utterly clueless and like others have said are constantly trying to sell shite games to parents. Dante is very much the exception to the rule, in my experience. I went to buy some Turtle Beaches in the Victoria one (not a great barometer, admittedly) and they laughed at me when I insisted that they weren't just for PCs. 

It's always seemed that Game's whole business strategy was based around lining their pockets today and dismiss any long-term business plan. Better to shift terrible stock now and misinform customers than be concerned with proper customer service and continued business. Game used to be one of my clients (retail research related) and I had a few meetings with the top brass. Bog standard profit-focused businessman with absolutely no clue about the market. Stack it high and sell it cheap. Neglecting to realise that the online retailers could sell it far cheaper. Going into an Apple store and you're schmoozed by geniuses and seduced by whiteness. I don't buy into it, yet I can see why people love it. Game has absolutely no redeeming features from a retail point of view. Why can't managers stamp their creativity on the place and actually do something with the layout? Perhaps give it more of an independent feel. Have high score competitions to scratch the arcade itch from years gone by. Winners get a half-price copy of the game. The ones I frequent most (Epsom, Kingston and Brighton) are utterly dull and uninspiring.  

My wife went to buy my son a 3DS XL at Xmas. The great deal got us into the store. Annoyingly though when she was purchasing it, they'd neglected to tell her that there was no charger as standard. I went back to ask them for a charger to which the same member of staff said pretty quietly and sheepishly that they had sold out of them. He hadn't mentioned it to the guy who was queueing near me with a 3DS XL in his hand who he'd just served. The guy went nuts and started ranting about 'how would you feel if you couldn't use your Xmas present on Xmas day'. I felt for the member of staff but just encapsulated everything about Game staff for me; I ultimately have no trust in them and the brand. 

I'd love for Dante to come down and sort the South East's Game stores out. Sounds like he'd be ideal.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Since when were they free? They used to be charged for. Why have I never heard someone say they're free. I read sites and enough posts here. Nowhere on the GAME site does it say it's free. Not till you actually click the Signup and see £0.00

About 18 months? Maybe more. I don't really use our site, but having looked it's shocking that it doesn't mention it's free. At best it's implied. That's an email to fire off I think.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm old and curmudgeonly so you won't care but - better stock - older stuff - this gen old I mean. 

Asking for retro is a step too far and a waste of resource in stock/storage/cash etc. but it would be really nice.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Been a while since ive been to the Brighton Game but it wasnt much fun, actually iirc it was being opened while i lived there and was interesting to see a new branch lack so much character
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    I fell foul of that 3ds charger lark from game too. Daughter couldn't play much on Christmas.  Then we went back to buy a charger when they re-opened.

Except they had no stock.  I was the sixth person asking that morning.  I mean, putting people off by not mentioning the charger at the point of sale is one thing but to not have enough in stock for the inevitable rush for them after Christmas Day was daft beyond belief. Any business that stupid deserves to go under.
  • There's some gold in here Dante.

I think you can split the suggestions into two categories related to competition. Price and differentiation.

In terms of price;
    Its going to cost me a couple of quid at least to drive or get into town, and then I've got to park. To then find you're selling the newest release for £43.99 or £39.99 as opposed to £32.99 to £36 means that to be honest, eventually I'm never even going to make the journey. I realise you're hamstrung here slightly by head office, their pricing and returns strategy, but they have to be realistic in the end £5 more expensive is not getting my money (and eventually as I say I'll stop even coming in the shop...as why bother) £1 or £2, and brand loyalty will kick in.
    Pre owned? Lots of profit in these (and the risk of upsetting publishers, and cutting off future supplies), but £1 or £2 cheaper is a joke, especially when people know that you are paying significantly less for them at trade in. Make less sell more. (and gain shop footfall)

How can you differentiate yourself from competitors.
    Already said, but I'd like friendly, non laddish, knowledgable staff. I realise the pay isn't awesome, but I do believe the more you try and put into your job, the more you get out. You guys should know more about games and tech than I. Talk to me about it tell me about that 2nd hand cheap copy of a game thats similar to my purchase (i.e. bayonetta if I've got anarchy reigns) you got in the other day in trade that I might want as well. Thats the kind of upselling I like.
    I really don't mind being asked about a loyalty card, I find it easy to say yes or no without having a stroke (no dig DS!). Don't charge me to take one out though.
    Personally I don't mind more explicit upselling of the next big thing or strategy guides, but maybe preface the sell with 'so do you use strategy guides at all?' or 'Do you play CoD?', then know about the product (for example the Dark Souls guide was a beauty) don't just push it like a robot. It's a little better and less embarrassing for you this way too.
    more rewards for Pre-orders
    Bundles and 3 for 2s to clear old stock. Look how much stuff Game shifted in the liquidation sale last year.
    If anyone ever sneers at one of my purchases. I'm never coming back!
    Personally I'd like the shop to be clean and smell nice. And this goes for the Pre owned stuff too. Clean the boxes and the contents. I'm not buying something with unidentified stuff on the box cover. No pubes please.
    Clean the demo pod controller after each person has used it. With wet wipes.
    Parent nights for them to take the kids along to play together and to educate them about games in general sounds good to me.
    A twitter account for each store that actually talks about games like it loves them, interacts and is funny would be good (Oxford st Waterstones used to be a good one).
    I'm sure there's more, but that's off the top of my head.
  • Argh, the 3ds charger thing was so irritating. Can't believe people didn't mention it though. It's pretty fundamental!
  • I can’t speak for other stores, but for us, we’d only push a particular bundle if it’s really a much better offer. Like at the moment you can get a 4Gb 360 with a 320GB hard drive, Forza 4 and Skyrim for a tenner cheaper than a 250GB on its own. As far as pre-owned goes, I don’t see what’s wrong with an offer. It depends what you mean by ramming it down your throat. I’ve seen people take issue with a simple offer of “Do you want this for £2 less”. That’s bollocks, if you don’t want it, just say no.  Some people haven’t seen it, but would prefer it. To me it’s poor customer service not to offer the choice.

What I didn't like was ages ago, when trying to just buy a 360, and being told I couldn't unless I bought it as part of a bundle with a pile of stuff I didn't want.  Likewise the games in bundles being fixed.  A 360 with HD, extra controller, and "any 2 games" sounds MUCH better than the wall full of random deals where it's £x for one with FIFA and Halo and then a slightly different price with Forza and Skyrim but the one with CoD and Halo is a different SKU etc etc...

Not every store does do this, but there are some. I’ve got lax with Twitter recently, so will make an effort to keep on top of it. Game Newcaslte are someone I think does Twitter really well. 

It's all about engendering that sort of community feeling.
    Not really sure what you mean by the last line. I think the can I help you thing is a personal thing though. I think it was Google who liked it because it meant he could get what he wanted and get out in the shortest possible time. When I’m shopping I also prefer someone who knows where everything is to get what I need for me.

Don't pigeon-hole your customers, is what I mean.  Not every 17 year old just wants FIFA and CoD and not every single mid-30s guy there is buying for a kid.  What I mean is that virtually every sub-25 member of staff at GAME I've dealt with seems a bit surprised that anyone older than them might be a big gamer.  Know your market, we're the ones with huge disposable incomes!
    Yeah, I absolutely agree with this. We’re lucky that we have this, though I’ve seen other stores where staff don’t have a clue. Usually management. It doesn’t take much to learn though, but if management don’t care, why is the 4 hours a week lad going to bother to find out more about the products?

And therein lies the rot that means the whole chain is probably double fucked again in the future.  How can you have a company selling videogames with a bunch of people in management who don't know what videogames are?

I mean, I have enough relevant experience to apply for executive level jobs.  Maybe I should apply to run the chain.  There must be plenty out there!
    Having test machines is an issue there, but if you have it absolutely. Showing the quality is easy enough to do. “Do you want this?” as I show you a pristine disc doesn’t take much effort.  

Forget the test issue, it was more the fact that the generic "do you want this pre-owned for £2 less" was replaced by someone who appreciated that maybe £2 was worth it for a new copy, and who also understood that the presence or otherwise of the DLC code would make more of a difference than a tiny discount.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Oh and stop trying to stick bloody labels that tear cardboard boxes when removed on my limited edition games/consoles etc!  Had this only a few weeks back with Dishonoured.  

It's almost as bad as when games used to deface every per-owned game with marker pen! Thankfully that lesson was learnt, I dread to think ow many games game ruined with that practice.
  • FFS I CAN USE STAIRS

OK some sort of DS emancipation grid then
  • Elmlea wrote:
    I can’t speak for other stores, but for us, we’d only push a particular bundle if it’s really a much better offer. Like at the moment you can get a 4Gb 360 with a 320GB hard drive, Forza 4 and Skyrim for a tenner cheaper than a 250GB on its own. As far as pre-owned goes, I don’t see what’s wrong with an offer. It depends what you mean by ramming it down your throat. I’ve seen people take issue with a simple offer of “Do you want this for £2 less”. That’s bollocks, if you don’t want it, just say no.  Some people haven’t seen it, but would prefer it. To me it’s poor customer service not to offer the choice.
    What I didn't like was ages ago, when trying to just buy a 360, and being told I couldn't unless I bought it as part of a bundle with a pile of stuff I didn't want.  Likewise the games in bundles being fixed.  A 360 with HD, extra controller, and "any 2 games" sounds MUCH better than the wall full of random deals where it's £x for one with FIFA and Halo and then a slightly different price with Forza and Skyrim but the one with CoD and Halo is a different SKU etc etc...

I'm 99% sure that they flat out lied to you there.

The problem with any 2 games is being able to do it not at a loss. There is an option for that with the Wii U at the moment. We'll try and trade games in for more to try and get what the customer wants, but it's not always possible.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Every store should have DS fapping away in the corner and never be acknowledged.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!