What can staff do to make a visit to GAME better for you?
  • Gonzo wrote:
    Are we really having this discussion? Game are doomed. Dante should be setting up an indie rival. Wish i'd taken pictures of the voltaire shops in Paris. You actually want to go in there.

If you're fronting me the money I have no problem with doing this.
  • Once Game and HMV are gone that will hopefully encourage some cool indie game stores to open.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Not sure how a high street store, where you can walk in buy and leave with game in hand, can't match an online store that would take at least a day to deliver game to you.

Next day delivery can be quite pricey and isn't even instantaneous like a shop. But shops don't seem to be interested in pushing this angle and it wouldn't help if they keep doing crazy shit like selling Ridge Racer 3DS for £40 anyway as nothing can compensate for such piss-takingly high prices.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Only games-mart I'd now visit would be an arcade I think, and that's only to play things where net lag is still a ballache. Charge me a fiver for an hour's patronage or something, keep the machines clean and functioning, have nice bogs.
  • Hire only desperately plain, even ugly staff, both to reinforce my sense that the videogaming industry is the last refuge of the damned and make me feel sexier.
  • I appreciate that the above is a long way of typing "keep on keeping on"
  • I was thinking this suddenly - game take over a two floor hmv residence - get some arcades in there!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    What arcades?

What you been in a Namco funzone? It's a struggle to find anything that isn't a light gun game from 5+ years ago.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Only games-mart I'd now visit would be an arcade I think, and that's only to play things where net lag is still a ballache. Charge me a fiver for an hour's patronage or something, keep the machines clean and functioning, have nice bogs.
    Cafe id is like a gaming heaven, particularly for fightmen.

Two linked up arcade cabinets, 2 PC stations, 4 360 set-ups and 2 PS3 set ups. More arcade sticks than you could ever need, plus Poongko. 6 quid to stay as long as you want (up to 24 hours). They also have beds for if you want to have a late one. 

Perfek. More of this sort of thing.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    What arcades? What you been in a Namco funzone? It's a struggle to find anything that isn't a light gun game from 5+ years ago.

remember when the arcades were places you could play games you couldnt at home? well they’re just recalling that trradition.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I suppose.

Personally I went to arcades to play games with graphics that were better than my Spectrum. i.e. all of them.

Some raster graphic Sega shooter from 6 years ago does not make me wet my pants with graphical joy.
  • Less about playing the un-ported to the home as creating a space of slightly more concrete technical and social conditions than some titles can currently be enjoyed in in our own huts. Once the tech eliminates things like lag bullshit etc. there'll be less reason to attend an actual venue, so goes my mind.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    There's at least two lan gaming places round here. There was a third but I'm pretty sure it's shut down now.

There's no way in hell I'd ever go in either of them.
  • Arcades used to deliver that novel, shiny experience that home consoles couldn't. That's gone now and people aren't willing to develop shiny titles for something that doesn't get paid for anywhere outside of Japan. Which is a shame, as I really miss lightgun games and all their showstopping set pieces  I guess the FPS can do that on your TV now though.
  • Agreed, makeovers required. Corporate gloss can be the best defence against hobbyist awfulness. I'll say one thing for GAME stores - always plenty of light.
  • It just makes us look all pallid and gross
  • i find it sad that people value the experience of talking to someone of a like mind in person so lowly
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Who finds talking to people of a like mind in person so lowly?
  • If game was full of people who could talk games shit with me on a decent level i'd pop in every time i was in town, and maybe even buy something, even if it was just an angry birds stuffed toy for the chick
  • Sad to say, but I'd rather do that on the internet (ie here) too.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    There's at least two lan gaming places round here. There was a third but I'm pretty sure it's shut down now. There's no way in hell I'd ever go in either of them.
    What/where are they?
  • Retail is dead. No one really wants to go into a shop any more. Zero draw, zero reason (unless clothes shopping etc).

It'd never happen but these places probably need to focus more on being a social point that (in Game's case) organises tournaments, cafe area etc and sells games as extra. 

For smaller stores a lot of that isnt really possible. I dont actually see any value of a small store existing in the format it does.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    There's at least two lan gaming places round here. There was a third but I'm pretty sure it's shut down now. There's no way in hell I'd ever go in either of them.
    What/where are they?

There's one just down from Tilley's on the left there above a (I think) Chinese supermarket.

The other is embarrassing because I can't actually remember where it is, but I know I saw it then thought "oh, that's two lan places round here, weird". Ahem.

There *was* one up by you on that trading estate with the Gorman's chippy, but I'm pretty sure that's closed down. Either way I don't remember the name of it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yeah I knew about one in Westerhope, I saw something about it in a news letter. What do they do in those things then?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Connect up a bunch of PCs/consoles and play games against each other, basically. I assume they run tournaments and that sort of thing. Dunno, like I say, I'd never go in one.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nah, I wouldn't want to be branded a paedo either.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Something tells me we'd be the youngest in there.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    So they'd be trying to groom us? Blimey.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Most likely. Especially Dan. He'd be the prize.

Thing is, if I want to get trounced then mocked by the kind of people that think they're good enough for LAN play I'll go play COD with the mic open. Don't really see the point of paying extra for the privilege.
  • I'd like to think that face-to-face puts a squeeze on XBL-style ill-mannered fuckwitism.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!