What can staff do to make a visit to GAME better for you?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I'd like to think they politely shake your hand and congratulate you on a good game well played. Somehow I don't think that happens either.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I'd like to think that face-to-face puts a squeeze on XBL-style ill-mannered fuckwitism.

Yes. But everyone but ourselves seem to be happier in a darkened room with an Xbox and a bag of Doritos*.

*As he once wrote on a videogame bulletin board one Saturday morning...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I think the reality is likely actually somewhere in the middle Mod. A lot of what goes on on XBL is down to sitting in a room on your own. Surrounded by other people, behavior will change.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'm sure it is probably somewhere in the middle. But I still don't need to see the whites of someone eyes to get satisfaction from beating them.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I'd like to think they politely shake your hand and congratulate you on a good game well played. Somehow I don't think that happens either.
    I know they're not your thing, and there are always exceptions, but fightgames generally seem to go along with the above in my experience.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a spot round the corner from where I work that started up as a virtual golf centre - they have added in a gaming lounge and it seems to have extended its drinks/snacks area. It sells itself as a mid-to-high-end group activity and has been going for a few years now - far longer than I thought it would...maybe that's one way - but the market would be small.

My experience with running small tourneys in the office shows me that a console+projector in a decent roomful of like-minded competitive people is a very enjoyable experience - which is not available in most homes - so maybe there is something in it. There is nothing like the same room multi-player experience - and at my tourney - some experienced online gamers have had shaking hands in this environment at times.

http://www.citigolfbelfast.com
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The thing that Game have that the internet can't compete with is staff. Maybe make more of them in store. Off the top of my head, show mugshots of them with a list of their preferred consoles / favourite games / currently playing. This would possibly make me more likely to talk to the ones I had similar interest to.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Holy shit, I'm going back to Belfast later this year. I will definitely take a look at that golf place.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Mangman has nailed it there.  Pretty much everything listed in here is solved with one thing; staff.  Intelligent, interested staff.  If your staff are engaged, and care, and have a modicum of common sense, they would clean the sticky box that just got traded in, they would recognise after the first sales question on the script that this customer isn't interested, and not ask the remaining five, they would be reading Edge or Gamesâ„¢ or whatever, they would be highlighting deals that benefit the customer, not the store, they would know the alphabet and, consequently, where in the trade-in section a game should go.

That said, a lot of issues are, I imagine, prescribed at a higher level.  Fifteen copies of the same game in three different places, misleading sales stickers, the entire trade-in policy.  I've lost count of the times I've had second hand games in my hands, but two are part of a 3 for £10 and one is part of a 2 for £20, or whatever, and I've given up.  Occasionally you'll find games which appear to be the only game available in a particular offer.  It's confusing and results in zero sales, as I can't be bothered working out what's best.

Have a few screens around where I can check your stock, the prices, and condition of any pre-owned games.  I'm sure I could ask staff but that would involve waiting for one to be free, and talking to them.  Usually, at least one of these is an uninviting proposition.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    God I hate it when I use the same two words in a sentence twice and the word wrap makes them appear above each other.
  • Part of the problem of cleaning boxes is time. We barely have time to process pre-owned games, let alone clean them up. I always make a point of at least removing any other stickers on them, but unless a box is really gross, it's going to be difficult to clean them.

Making the pitch for more hours to a regional for that purpose probably isn't going to end with an affirmative unfortunately.

We're getting a new mystery shop script soon, so it will be interesting to see what has to be asked now. I can guarantee that pre-owned and Gamecare if it's a console will be on there. I suspect digital will be on there, which is always a fun thing to fit in on a DS sale.
  • Mystery shopping should burn in hell. It is anti-customer service because you end up treating everyone like a mystery shopper. The problem being that all customers are different and mystery shop scripts are rarely anything like what a customer wants.

I was good at retail, I had retail jobs where customers would ask for me by name on multiple occasions, I would up sell and they would leave happy, yet I failed every mystery shop I ever got tested on.
    Later I actually did mystery shopping as the shopper and it is just as ridiculous.
    Terrible, terrible concept that should have gone with the ark.
  • In my experience, with the exception of Saturdays and December, there's plenty of time for Game staff to keep their stock clean.  It is not an issue in other shops, and I don't see why it should be an issue in yours.
  • I'd fire everyone, close all their stores and replace them with vending machines. 
    Game has always been an irredeemably rancid franchise, and absolutely nothing can change that.
    They will go out of business, nothing can stop that, and nobody will miss them. 
    I'd genuinely sooner buy my games in Tesco than give Game my patronage.

pfffft

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'm not sure how you feel about this, g.
  • I'm clearly undecided.
  • I was going for imbalanced, but sure.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    There's always (whilst we still have physical discs) going to be a section of the market that can't shop online, needs to pay cash, or doesn't mind paying over the odds for immediacy.

I'd be particularly sad to see the trade in part go. There are kids (I was one once) that need to take in old games so they can get new ones. It's just a shame GAME treat them like fat whales that need to have the maximum amount of profit squeezed out of.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    I was going for imbalanced, but sure.
    heh.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    New carpets; fewer gamers.

Serious (currently unworkable) answer is a new-games ATM (good for the near-future fibre-deprived). Shove your official portable media into the slot, punch in your prepaid code and away with you. 24/7.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I've waved the flag for some form of instore download service onto USB for years now. I realised the other day it was remarkably similar to the instore MP3 kiosks I mocked HMV for but kept quiet about it. Would be useful for games because of the file sizes being bigger and the licence transfer/trade in angle SO SHUT UP.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Would be useful for games because of the file sizes being bigger

If console-makers would play ball...

They don't care about your download time, so long as you are downloading. ATMs would be great for lunch-breakers and the pissed pound.

Lower prices a bit and advertise offers on a protected screen directly above.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Maybe once USB3 becomes standard. Waiting for 10-15gb+ to copy at USB 2 speeds would take your entire lunch break.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yes, that. And also what G said, which I didn't read earlier and have now read and says what I've said.

USB 3 tabs via a giant PEZ dispenser. Hole-in-the-wall is Forward.
  • I've seen in airports here Best Buy vending machines, where you can swipe a credit card and have dispensed a pair of $300 Bose headphones, or even an entire 3DS XL, boxed and everything.  All the receipts, warranties etc are emailed to you, info that could be easily stored in a loyalty card.

Stick all the latest releases and a handful of accessories etc in a vending machine and put them all over the place.  As long as they're somewhere with plenty of CCTV or security like airports, they're unlikely to be victims of vandalism or anything.

I think there's more mileage in that than downloads to USB.  By the time USB3's widespread enough, won't we all be happier downloading it to our cloud-centric next-gen machines while we're at work anyway?  I think a better option is linking our XBL Gamertags to our GAME accounts, so that when we're at the till they can offer us a £5 impulse buy.  Agree, and said downloadable game/DLC is credited to your XBL account, your machine is woken by request from your router, and it downloads while you're walking home from the shops.

GAME, Dante, you can have the vending machine idea for a 1% cut.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The fear of ACTUAL HUMAN CONTACT that some people have on here never fails to amaze.
  • Game in Bristol didn't do anything to mark the WiiU's release. No midnight launch meant it missed out on my custom.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    The fear of ACTUAL HUMAN CONTACT that some people have on here never fails to amaze.

Martin Hollis - the man who said NO to self-checkouts in Tescos.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The man who said NO to Sat Nav.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Haha, when I was at uni I always used the self-checkout so I didn't have to interact with my fellow human beings, those insufferable meat cunts.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!