I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Plodding away at Gigawing via MAME. Practicing level 4 and 5 but it's tough tonight - just isn't happening. Making more sense of level 5 though and have some routes forming through level 4 for consistency too. Progress then.

Will maybe have a go at the DC port over the weekend to see if my learning on level 4 transfers over - particularly with the level 4 boss.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Gigawing campaign continues. Almost have level 4 mastered now. I'd expect to no miss no bomb my way to level 5 now.

Once I've got a bit more consistency with that I'll move onto level 5 and really starting grinding a route out.

DC and MAME experience is largely similar but level 4 on MAME does feel a bit easier as the bullet speed feels a bit slower.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    ayayayayayayay

Can clean level 4 with ease when I load from a save state. And royally screw up when I try and do it as part of a run.

It's at the same rank because I no-missed up until the point where I saved so there's no excuse.  Irritating.   :<
  • Davy mate I fucking love your posts here, you remind me of my solo infatuation with IIDX were I'm sure I'm talking to the void. Rest assured you aren't, keep it up la' and I know you'll crack the bastard. Looking forward to when you 1cc. I believe in you <3
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hmmmm...  got to mid-boss of level 5 last night.

Using 1 bomb against the level 3 boss - just isn't worth the risk otherwise. It finishes the boss off just as it starts spitting out bullets in a particularly nasty pattern.

Got through level 4 losing only one life and that was a daft mistake. Level 4 boss is a piece of piss now. Level 5 felt strangely manageable. Weird. Maybe it's something akin to what @nick_md was saying in the music game thread.

Created a save state going into level 5 so I'll see if I can repeat that feeling today.  Not holding out too many hopes on that front. :)  But a path is emerging.
  • Good stuff; keep at it man!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Left it for a few days - back today.

You know when you are just having an off day? That was today. Can't use the break as an excuse - even screwing up in level 1.

Played both DC and MAME - got to level 5 on one run but just too many mistakes. Involved getting the 1UP in level 4 which was a nice save (the only place this damn game gives one out - and only when you are down to your last life!) 

Leaving it before I interface my boot with the screen. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Went back to it. Got a decent run to level 5 again. Grinding level 5 using save states. Got to the end of level boss with a life and a bomb so saved that state for future use. level 5 boss seemed OK-ish but my life losses probably dropped the rank.

Finding a level 5 path is proving tough - the timing for the reflect use is super tight but it's enjoyable when you get it right and take out 3 or 4 big bullet spitting enemies :)

How anyone 1CCs something like this in an arcade setup is beyond me. Apparantly the best Japanese players credit feed and gradually need less and less credits. Dedication and a few quid required for that.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Battle Garegga is now available on the X1.

Not in EU but easy enough to buy from the US store.

Been playing a few shmups recently, continuing my theme of jack of all shmups, master of none.
  • Heyyyyyyy!!!!

Nice to see you, to see you....

Also. Sorry haven’t got back to you on DDP and Crimzon. You still have them? I was short of cash but have plenty in PayPal account now from selling shit on eBay too. Can do deal if you still them please.
  • Will have to get onto Battle Garegga. Always found it a faff to buy in PSN Jap, but easier on Bone.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Hey Elf!

Yeah I think I have both, will check. What DDP was it again?

• Banana!

Good to see you, whether the visit be fleeting not.

Xox
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Hey dude. Hopefully not, though I still no don't have a job where I can post my life away on forums.

Somewhere along the line I really didn't think my career moves through enough!
  • Hey Elf! Yeah I think I have both, will check. What DDP was it again?

I think you had original DDP Jap version with OST? That one. Not the black label. I have that.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Will have a look in the shmup draw in the morning.

Anything else your after, got a fair few doubles if memory serves.
  • Feel free to list them here. The only thing I’m actively looking out for is Mushi HD limited one. Goes for a ton on eBay. I think I sold my standard edition to you! In the hope that I’ll find ltd ed for a decent price.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blitzing away at level 5 tonight from a save state. Got to the end and beat the boss on one occasion. Let me sample level 6 which is just a boss fight in this game. Save stated that though I only had 1 life left and no bombs so it's of little use at the minute.

A level 5 path is starting to emerge. Made a fair bit of progress and the first 3rd of the level at least is starting to lie down now. The mid level boss doesn't seem to be all that tricky. 

You can't relax at all though. In some sections I'm getting ahead of my route and that can be as bad as being behind sometimes. Need to stick to the pace I am used to.
  • Can you capture these runs Davy?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I can ghetto record my Dreamcast runs off the screen as I did with this old run I did months ago. 

MAME wise - I could create an INP replay file but I don't think my PC has the grunt to replay and capture it - could try I suppose.
  • Bruv do you not have a phone to video it with? When we say ghetto we mean ghetto.
  • Oh, in fact that is exactly what you describe :/
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I could try and record off the PC screen and show my individual level runs as well as a full run on MAME.

I have a Canon Powershot camera that has a video mode - that's what I used to record the DC run. Have a tripod I got for free back when I bought an old VHS-C video camera - I can mount my Canon on it just fine.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Run I did tonight up to level 5 only using 1 bomb. Made a pig's arse of level 5 though and my scoring was crap. But as a survival run it's an improvement over my earlier video.  Using shmupMAME 4.2

recorded ghetto off my LCD monitor which explains the image quality.

• Unbelievable Davy, it's been literally years since I've seen someone play like that (and even then!).

Thanks so much for taking the time to record that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm low tier. Gigawing is considered an easy 1CC in shooting circles. Still - not bad for a 51 year old.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    NNnnnnnnnngggg. Had an atrocious session with this yesterday. Was getting into a bad mood. I reckon a Dreamcast stick would do a lot of damage if I threw it. Switched off.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Grinding away at level 5 with some success. Have a consistent path to the half way boss and can deal with him pretty easily now. Have got to end of level boss a few times and even beat it.

Trying to grind/practice level 5 on the Dreamcast version using the score attack mode doesn't really work as you start powered down and it makes it an entirely different proposition altogether requiring a different path. One could argue that's the one to use for practice because of the increased difficulty but it's painfully tough that way and life's too short.

Couple of nice runs up to level 5 on both DC and MAME versions today. Have screwed up level 5 each time though. :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!