I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • I may hit one of you chaps up for mame shmup links when we're moved into our new house. One of the spare rooms is getting lovingly converted into a games room with arcade sticks, retro console and music games, the missus just doesn't know it yet.
  • Also, I only realised Akai means red last week (yay Japanese lessons). Red Katana.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Having no internet at ho,e I remembered that I'd dled shmupmame at some point

Turns out getting it working wasn't as scary as I thought

Had a lovely weekend catching up on old memories, wondering about an arcade stick though, as keyboard control isn't terrible but I feel far worse at these games than I remember being
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It isn't a genre that suffers fools* - or those who have been away for a while.

Keyboard, pad or stick - I think it depends on which you first played a game if I'm honest. I've been using a stick for a while but I recently played Futari with a pad and I felt more in control. So I'm a bit torn.

* for fools read casuals.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    In those bullet hell moments, knowing just how far a tap on the stick will move me would be far preferable to the keyboard as I'm mostly overcompensating

Growing up in a seaside town, I mostly played at local arcades so grew up with a stick on these
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Fell in love with Giga-Wing again, forgot how much fun that was
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm still concentrating on Gigawing (DC version though). Using a stick with that.

level 5 is tricky.
  • @Nick That sounds awesome, would love a dedicated games room! And any time, there's a couple of sites I've used for years that I'd recommend and I'll Dropbox some stuff. Same goes for anyone.

Like Davy, I switch between stick and pad depending on the game/platform. But for most games on PC, MAME/Steam/doijin stuff, I'm using the Hori PS4 Fighting Stick Mini, under £40 on amazon. It is small though, and has a square gate fitted, but if you don't wanna spend the earth it's fine. I mean, it's a Hori after all.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm control option rich.

I have 2 sticks for my Saturn - a PAL Virtua Stick (not great) and a HSS-0136 JPN stick. That one is nice but the stick isn't all that sensitive. It probably needs a bit of work. However the mk2 version of the Saturn pad is very good so I've found success with that. 

DC wise I have a set of 4 official sticks that I have picked up over the years. I find that stick pretty sensitive and are probably the best I have. I've also got a Mayflash generic stick that I've so far used mostly with my PS2 but I also have an adaptor for the shmups I have for the Gamecube. There's a USB connection with that too so I should probably try it with my PC.

I've two Hori fighting sticks for the 360 - have been playing a lot of Futari with those but I'm starting to think I might be better sticking with the pad.
  • Started playing Gradius V last night.

Went with Type 2 for the options, but I absolutely suck, even on the easiest difficulty.
  • It's a monster game.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Silly question, but can you load other emulators straight onto MAME or do I run them separately?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    MAME is the emu-monster now - has absorbed all others as far as I know.

Gradius V is glorious but is painfully tough even on lower levels. I've never really invested much time with it but getting past the first couple of levels felt like an achievement to me. I've never got on with hori shmups but RType + Gradius/Parodius are my exceptions though my admiration doesn't reflect my ability (as per usual).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    shmups.com voting closed.

Here's mine for the record:

[25] [Mushihimesama Futari Original 1.5] [360]
    [24] [DoDonPachi] [Saturn/mame]
    [23] [Giga Wing] [DC]
    [22] [Layer Section] [Saturn]
    [21] [Gunbird 2] [DC]
    [20] [Deathsmiles] [360]
    [19] [Radiant Silvergun] [Saturn]
    [18] [Muchi Muchi Pork] [360]
    [17] [Oshaberi Parodius] [Saturn]
    [16] [Gradius] [Saturn]
    [15] [Under Defeat] [360]
    [14] [Darius Gaiden] [Saturn]
    [13] [RType] [PS1]
    [12] [Castle Shikigami 2] [Gamecube]
    [11] [Game Tengoku] [Saturn]
    [10] [Star Soldier] [Gamecube]
    [09] [Super Swiv / Firepower 2000] [SNES]
    [08] [Return of the Invaders] [PS2/MAME]
    [07] [Raiden III] [PS2]
    [06] [Tempest 2000] [Saturn]
    [05] [Super Aleste] [SNES]
    [04] [Fantasy Zone] [Saturn]
    [03] [Asteroids Deluxe] [Arcade]
    [02] [Dropzone] [NES]
    [01] [Phoenix] [Arcade]

Honorable mention votes (a new thing afaik)
    [00] [Gate of Thunder] [PCE/Wii]
    [00] [Parodius Fantastic Journey] [Saturn]
    [00] [Soukyugarentai] [Saturn]
    [00] [R-Type Final] [PS2]
    [00] [Gradius 2] [Saturn]
    [00] [Astro Blaster] [arcade]
    [00] [Samurai Aces / Sengoku Ace] [PS2]
    [00] [Bangai-O]  [Dreamcast]
    [00] [Exzeal] [360]
    [00] [Geometry Wars 2] [360]

I have no doubt that I have games better than others ranked lower but I went with time spent + enjoyment.
  • Had another crack at Gradius V last night.

Switched the settings to default, and went with Type 1.

Only played the first level repeatedly.

I can now get to the boss on one life, but get fucked up royally.

I need to put more thought into what power ups to take, and when.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember that level 1 boss being really annoying because it has several forms.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DoDonPachi Daioujou BL has topped the shmups poll this year.

Have never played it - however it seems to run well on MAME even on my old PC so I'll be looking into that one.

The results this year are pleasing - a good mix of new and old and tate and hori. The usual Cave pomp of course but that doesn't really bother me as I'm on a Cave love-in at present. Have got the winner running fine via shmupMAME and have DDP Saidaioujou on order from play-asia.

01. DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou / Black Label (ARC/360/etc.)  
    02. Battle Garegga (ARC/SAT/PS4)                        
    03. Ketsui ~Kizuna Jigoku Tachi~ (ARC/360/PS3)          
    04. Mushihimesama Futari / 1.5 / Black Label (ARC/360) 
    05. Armed Police Batrider (ARC)                       
    06. DoDonPachi (ARC/SAT/PSX)                           
    07. Crimzon Clover / World Ignition (PC/NESiCA)        
    08. RayForce / Layer Section / etc. (ARC/PS2/SAT/etc.)  
    09. Radiant Silvergun (ARC/SAT/360)                    
    10. Ikaruga (ARC/DC/GC/360/PC)                          
    11. Mushihimesama / 1.5 (ARC/PS2/360/PC)               
    12. Mars Matrix (ARC/DC)                               
    13. Gradius V (PS2)                                     
    14. Strikers 1945 II (ARC/SAT/PSX/PS2)                  
    15. Progear no Arashi (ARC)                             
    16. Gunbird 2 (ARC/DC)                                  
    17. R-Type (ARC/PCE/PSX/etc.)                           
    18. Dangun Feveron (ARC)                                
    19. Raiden Fighters Jet (ARC/360)                       
    20. Gradius Gaiden (PSX/PSP)                            
    21. Raiden DX (ARC/PSX)                                 
    22. Batsugun / Batsugun Special (ARC/SAT)               
    23. Darius Gaiden (ARC/SAT/PS1/PS2/PC)                  
    24. Under Defeat (DC/ARC/360/PS3)                       
    25. Darius Burst: AC/EX/Chronicle Saviours (PC/etc.)    

Honourable Mention
    Akai Katana (ARC/360)                                    
    Battle Bakraid (ARC)                                   
    Border Down (DC/ARC)                                   
    Cho Ren Sha 68K (PC/X68)                         
    Deathsmiles / Mega Black Label (ARC/360)                 
    DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu / 1.5 / Resurrection (ARC/etc.)    
    DoDonPachi Saidaioujou (ARC/360)                        
    DonPachi (ARC/SAT/PSX)                                
    Dragon Blaze (ARC/PS2)                            
    Einhänder (PSX)                                    
    Eschatos (360/PC)                                    
    ESP Ra.De. (ARC)                                    
    ESPGaluda (ARC/PS2)                                
    ESPGaluda II / Black Label (ARC/360)                    
    Flying Shark / Hishouzame / Sky Shark (ARC/NES/etc.)  
    G-Darius (ARC/PS2/PSX)                          
    Giga Wing (ARC/DC)                                  
    Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou (ARC/SAT/FC/etc.)       
    Great Fairy Wars [Touhou 12.8] (PC)             
    Guwange (ARC/360)                                        
    Ibara (ARC/PS2)                                           
    Judgement Silversword (WSC/360/PC)                 
    Kamui (PC)                                        
    Muchi Muchi Pork! (ARC/360)                           
    Perfect Cherry Blossom [Touhou 7] (PC)                 
    Phantasmagoria of Dim.Dream [Touhou 3] (PC)          
    Phantasmagoria of Flower View [Touhou 9] (PC)         
    R-Type Delta (PSX)                               
    Raiden Fighters 2: Operation Hell Dive (ARC/360)     
    Soukyugurentai / Terra Diver (SAT/ARC/PSX)             
    Strikers 1999 / Strikers 1945 III (ARC)           
    Thunder Dragon 2 (ARC)                         
    Thunder Force IV / Lightening Force (MD/GEN/SAT)        
    Twin Cobra / Kyukyoku Tiger (ARC/PCE/etc.)     
    Twinkle Star Sprites (ARC/SAT/DC/etc.)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Nice to see cho ren sha, Einhander and Border Down in amongst the mentions, and I've still never touched Battle Garegga need to fix that at some point
  • 'Tis a fine list, found myself nodding along as I read through it. And no problems with all the Cave love, their shmups are heady wonders and sumptuous as all fuck.
  • We had it good with the 360. Depressing how bad the scene is for the current gen. No way I'm gonna faff around with a Jap account to get Dangun Feveron and Battle Garegga on PS4.  Release in U.K. Please!!!

I did order Astebreed physical copy on PS4 via Limited Run Games. It got some goood reviews and should give me a shmup fix.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Running a DDP score competition in work next week with a big rotated screen and shmupMAME. I expect casuals to find it mind blowing. Have gone into service mode and set it to easy.

Have a standard pad configured for player 1 side and a mayflash arcade stick configured for the player 2 side so players and pick their preferred method.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wow, I want to work with you, thought I spoiled the folk with the odd sf comp but that sounds several levels of sexy
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm thinking of slapping down a cash prize if anyone can best my score if I play just a single game all week.

I'm far from good at this genre but compared to someone who hasn't played a modern shooter I would probably appear God like. Best I've managed is about 15 or 16million at level 5 on 1 credit. That was on the Saturn version which is pretty close to recreating the original.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The peeps in work loved DDP. Some guys have rediscovered their love for the genre. I had to restrict myself to my best 1 life score to keep it competitive. Good fun though.  I was rusty - though I got to level 4 boss on my best 1 credit run.

DDP SaiDaiOuJou for 360 arrived as a birthday present to myself. Will give this a blast over the weekend.
  • Not as good as DFK/Resurrection imho. Didn't stop me buying the super big box limited edition though. It's gorgeous. 

I miss Cave.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's what I've heard. It's more a throwback to DaiOuJou and more about dodging than cancelling. Videos show it's looks mighty purty....it's supposed to be painfully tough too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    SaiDaiOuJou first impressions. Looks gorgeous. Tough as old boots. I can usually get mid way through level 2 first go at a Cave game. Their first levels are usually warmups. Not here.

I like the auto gathering when lasering. And I like the bomb you get when you cancel your hyper (at least I think that's what it is).

The one thing I didn't like about DFK/Res is that the levels don't feel individual - at least not until you hit those bloody laser wheels - but already with SDJ I feel the difference between the first two levels. With DFK you can't really see the backgrounds but with SDJ you can - maybe that's part of it.

Music is great too.

Plenty of content with arcade HD, 1.5, novice and exclusive 360 modes. And then you have 4 ships, the doll types and autobomb options.

For some reason I don't like autobombing though - just feels cheap. That's maybe another reason I'm not so keen on DFK (though i know there are options that don't use it).
  • You can switch auto bomb off in every Cave game dantbyou?

In other news, I impulse bought Dariusburst CS limited edition Limited Run box on PS4. Better be good, cost a fair bit! I know Eurogamer loved it. I did like previous Darius games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    In DFK you have different styles and some have autobombing. In DFK BL it is selectable.

Futari's novice mode has it and you can't unselect it which is a pity because it's too easy with it and without it novice mode would be a good stepping stone to original.

I've never really got into Darius games. I was lucky enough to first encounter the big multiscreen cabinet in the arcade but mostly I've played Gaiden which is nice but you need to use the auto fire to get anywhere (at least I do).
  • Sky Force: Anniversary then. Played for a few hours and it builds into something quite interesting after a slow start. I doubt it's one for purists though. It's a grind, where you repeat levels to earn cash and bulk up your ship, but the challenges on each level and the higher difficulties that unlock make it natural to keep trying them anyway.

Also, stage 5, which seemed like an awful idea at first, turns out to be a smart challenge. A submarine fires an EMP missile at you near the start, which then follows you throughout the level until it hits you and disables all weapons. At first I thought it was unavoidable, and you had to get hit and then just dodge everything, but it turns out you can keep away from it and even rescue the humans while doing so (which means hanging around in the same spot for a few seconds). So, eventually I did the perfect run: avoid the EMP, destroy all enemies, rescue all humans, collect all stars, and don't get hit.

Need to do it again in Hard mode, of course.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!