Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Aye. Ikaruga is a funny one. I admire it but just don't like it even though I've held onto it. (I have the US Gamecube version). It doesn't feel like a shmup. Quite unique actually.

I love the thing but yeah it's as much a puzzle/maze game as it is a shooter, bit like the Sonic bonus levels

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ikaruga usually does well in the vote but it splits opinion.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59431&p=1241350&hilit=13th#p1241350

I'm holding onto it because there's a chance I may change my mind about it. I did that with Radiant Silvergun.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Ikaruga is best. It's so bloody good. And I'm so bloody rubbish at it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's a toughie. I think what puts me off is that survival play is just OK. It's all about the scoring. I like to play survival and then think about that.
  • I'd love to love Ikaruga and I've bought it three times for various systems but I just can't take to it. An average verging on boring manoeuvre around scenery-em up with bursts of awesome shooty stuff here and there. And those ship designs, crikey, both Ikaruga and Ginkei are up there with my favourites of all time.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:

Yikes. My copy has no spine but I have the reg card. I paid £50 for my copy when noone knew anything about this game. Think it was the 2nd game I ever imported. At first I didn't like it at all but have since grown to love it - though I haven't really made a concerted effort to progress.

Did you complete it or did you just now get it? It splits opinions too.
  • Have it on XBLA so no need to keep it. Never did finish it but never did get along with it too much.
  • Battle Garegga didn't actually go for as much as it normally does. But I got more for Silvergun than usual prices. So works out fine in the end.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Fair enough. I was surprised that the value held but that's the collector gene for you.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What did you get for Battle Garegga? Thinking of getting it after selling a load of tat.
  • £137. Seen it go for close to £200 before. Silvergun is usually around £100 mark.
  • Luck of the draw. Some mug paid me £210 for my Castlevania IV... just as well. It's hard for me to let go of my SNES games. Couldn't quite get myself to put up the rest (Nintendo and Square and Enid/Quintet games)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    £137. Seen it go for close to £200 before. Silvergun is usually around £100 mark.

Good price. Have seen it around £170 on average. How did you get on with Garegga? I'm tempted to go for it but it will be by far the most I have ever spent on a game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Luck of the draw. Some mug paid me £210 for my Castlevania IV... just as well. It's hard for me to let go of my SNES games. Couldn't quite get myself to put up the rest (Nintendo and Square and Enid/Quintet games)

Jesus. I still have my C IV but if I'm honest I just don't play the SNES now.
  • Okay then a top 25 was harder than I though, whittling down the last few was painful and a couple of my beloved indies, Blue Revolver and Jamestown, both took a hit. This is what's left, and whilst not in order of preference the one on top just happens to be my all time fave.

Mushihimesama Futari
    Espgaluder 2
    Muchi Muchi Pork
    Deathsmiles
    Akai Katana
    Progear
    Ketsui
    Gurwange
    DoDonPachi
    Radiant Silvergun
    Bangai-O
    Gradius V
    Batsugun
    Mars Matrix
    Giga Wing
    Armed Police Batrider
    Battle Garegga
    Dragon Blaze 
    Gunbird 2
    Kamui
    Alltynex 2nd
    RefleX
    Blue Wish Resurrection 
    Crimzon Clover
    Warning Forever
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Espgaluda 2 - picked up the 360 port of that but haven't really played it yet. Same with Akai Katana. I had to say to myself to stop jumping between games and concentrate on one. I probably have enough shooters to last me until I can't pick a controller up.

Trimmed my list to this lot. Have started to put them in order but only top 4 are close to being settled.

The shmups poll allows you to allocate weightings too - which further complicates things.

Mushi Futari (360)
    DoDonPachi (Saturn/MAME)
    Gigawing (DC)
    Layer Section (Saturn)

Deathsmiles (360)
    Radiant Silvergun (Saturn)
    Muchi Muchi Pork (360)
    Gradius (Saturn)
    Parodius:Fantastic Journey (Saturn)
    Under Defeat (360)
    Gunbird 2 (DC)
    Super Aleste (SNES)
    Super Swiv (SNES)
    Darius Gaiden (Saturn)
    RType (PS1)
    Castle Shikigami 2 (Gamecube)
    Game Tengoku (Saturn)
    Super Star Soldier (Gamecube)
    Return of the Invaders (arcade)
    Raiden III (PS2)
    Gate of Thunder (PCE)
    Fantasy Zone (Saturn)
    Dropzone (NES)
    Asteroids Deluxe (Arcade)
    Phoenix (Arcade)
  • I do love Deathsmiles, it'd be my go to now tbh as it's by far the most accessible Cave-em-up I know.

A lot of my list would also probably be done by which Boss music I like.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Love a bit of Deathsmiles too. Only reason I don't play more of it is I'm trying to concentrate on one game at a time and seriously go for a 1CC. Still at Gigawing. Getting better at level 5. Improving my route on level 4 to try and get more than 2 lives and plenty of bombs going into level 5.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I was wondering if any Kenta Cho games would get on there, I remember finding Warning Forever when we were all in the marun-rum and it blowing me away, because I was enjoying it simply as a shooter, it wasn't until the seventh or eight go that I realised
    Spoiler:
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Warning Forever's quite something and was a no brainer for my list. I think it's just a lil to different to appeal too the hard-core stg crowd in quite the same way though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. The hard core crowd love the route learning aspect with scoring opportunities.

Behaving ad hoc is something that the genre should be exploring more.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    got shmupMAME working again after going to Windows 10.

DoDonPachi really is rather good. Its the mark of a great game that on returning to it after a long break it still feels good if not better. Definitely at no. 2 in my list.
  • It is rather brilliant. I feel a similar way about the Gunbird games, doesn't matter how long I leave them, going back they always feel so right.

I sadly lost my entire MAME32 and shmupMAME libraries just before Christmas (really shoulda had it all backed up) and I'm missing a hell of a lot of games I'd jump on for an hour or so. Really not looking forward to building it all back up and trying to get em running again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Messing about wth the original DonPachi today on shmupMAME (off work). Quite a nice game too and it's obvious that DDP is a refinement more than a sequel but those refinements elevate it to greatness.
  • With huge thanks to Davy I'm back in the MAME game (went for shmupMAME 4.2, got all but a handful of ROM's running), and quick blasts on Espgaluda and Progear had me sighing in contentment. Will probably rinse Gunbird and Gunbird 2 over the weekend. Happy days!
  • Progear's quality, love that chunky sprite feel.
  • Aye, it still looks and plays like a dream, and I'd still take it over Akai Katana. Awesome as Akai katana is.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!