I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. But Arrange isn't really a survival game. Think I 1CC'd first go. It's almost as easy to complete as novice. Arrange is more of a score attack game and quite different from the main modes.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Not a traditional shmup, but it does have bullet hell elements, Assault Suit Leynos is on sale on PS4 at the moment.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My house is at last coming together after the building work completed last year. Starting to feel homely. Gratuitous shot of where I play shmups on the 360.....apologies for the wilting flowers!

shmupStation360_s.jpg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Very nice!

I have a shmup question actually. What are the good 360 ones, available on BC?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Note sure any are.....Geometry Wars 2 has an XboxOne symbol beside it in my games list but nothing else I can remember. Will check again.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Very nice! I have a shmup question actually. What are the good 360 ones, available on BC?

Ikaruga is possibly the best shmup ever and is on BC.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ikaruga. I know I should like it but I can't bring myself to play it that much. It's too far removed from a traditional shmup for me. I prefer RSG as the survival aspect of that game is strong and you don't really need to think about chaining if you don't want to. Ikaruga feels like it's all about the chaining - more like score attack / puzzle game to me and it isn't something you can throw on to relax with  - at least I can't.

It survived my mini Gamecube clearout last year. I got rid of my PAL copy but I kept the US NTSC copy (which incidentally runs at 480p on my PAL Wii with component leads and Freeloader - just hold down B when booting up). No doubt the XBL version looks prettier (no doubt as does XBL RSG) but I'm holding onto the originals for the time being - though I'm starting to think about a more severe clearout.

Anyhow - perhaps the digital games have a better chance of BC? I have Caladrius and Shooting Love 200X on XBL - maybe they will get the treatment too?
  • Ikaruga's an amazing game although I totally understand your reasons there Davy.

If I were to play a shmup these days I'd probably pop in Deathsmiles as I find it the most accessible danmaku style title. I wouldn't say it's better than Mushi at all, but it's something I can easily get to the end of and I also enjoy the chunky, Halloween stylings.

Ikaruga would take me a few days of constant playing, at least, to build muscle memory back. When I was playing heavily it was with a flatmate and we score chased each other (until he couldn't keep up, heh). Having that environment of competition always gets the best performances. I miss them days.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mushi Futari is my most favouritist shooty game. But I have recently had a romance with the original DoDonPachi. Have played it a bit on MAME but my main experiences are with the Saturn port played in TATE. It truly is a wondrous game. I'm not convinced about the sequels but then I haven't played them too much. 

DDP:Res is nice but I'm finding it hard to differentiate between levels - they all seem very samey until you get to those laser wheels. I don't like the auto-bombing either as it feels like cheating.

I get you re Deathsmiles. Superb game and very friendly. One I need to get back to at some point.

I can see the attraction of Ikaruga once you build up the muscle memory - and of course having a bit of competition adds a lot more enjoyment. But you could say that about any top tier STG I suppose.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Playing a new Steam release this weekend - was given the key by a games review site I do the odd thing for. No it isn't DDP:Res which is out in a couple of weeks (I passed up on that as I have it for 360 and I don't think I'd be in the position to play a deep game like that to write an honest review)

Instead , I'm playing a rather nice space shooter called Xenoraid. It's a bit old school and has that low budget indie feel but it's solid and has some nice ideas. The more I play it the more I like it. I'll post a link to the review when it's up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Review up. This is quite a nice old school game.

http://www.cubed3.com/review/3135/1/xenoraid-pc.html
  • OMG Battle Garegga is coming to PS4 in December!!! I'm getting my preorder in.

Reminds me. Wasn't Dangun Feveron also supposed to be coming to PS4 by end of year? Gonna look it up.
  • Little news article here.

Dangun Feveron is next year now, I think.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wow - Battle Garegga is a physical release too.
  • Just read that it's digital only. The physical version will come with lots of tat and download code for the game. :(

One thing I love about my 360 is the batch of Jap shmups. Looks great on the shelf.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ah. Pity that. Odd too given that the target audience will want physical copies.

Saturn version fetches close to £200 now. Yikes.
  • Raiden V - £10 on Bone digital. Liking it so far! Gotta work out how the scoring works though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Does it have the multiplier that depends on how long you take to shoot an enemy? First saw that in Raiden III.
  • I think so. I managed to get it up to about x7 at one point but mostly hover around x3-5. I don't know what the medals do though. In Cave games, it's the medals/gems that give you the mahoosive points. 

I just credit fed my way to the end saw the worst ending. I think there are 7 endings or something. You probably have to no-miss no-bomb 1cc it to see the S-rank ending. I'm too rubbish to do that!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Raiden medals are usually just totted up at the end of a level for a bonus. Lose a life and you lose the medals you have gathered in the level. You get an end of level bomb and life bonus too if I remember right. Raiden hasn't ever been all that sophisticated when it comes to scoring.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fucking Gigawing.

It's doing my head in. Enjoying it though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gigawing campaign continues. Playing with Ruby.

Got to level 5 today for 1st time with 1 credit. Had to bomb my way past the level 4 boss though I don't think it will be that difficult a boss to master - seems quite do-able. Quite an entertaining fight - it's a giant robot which seems to dump its arms and then pick them up again.

Picked up a 1up in level 4 that I didn't know existed. Not sure if there is a set of conditions for its appearance or not. Was a welcome sight - no 1up score boundaries in this game.

Level 5 is a nightmare - got there with 1 life and no bombs - didn't last long.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Into the zone with Gigawing this evening. Caning the early levels - got to the level 3 boss with all lives and 5 bombs.

Took no chances and used 2 bombs on the bastard level 3 boss (one probably would have done the job). Had a level 4 wobble - at least one life loss was a silly mistake. Have read that the level 4 1up only appears if you are down to your last life. But got to level 5 again and progressed pretty well into it. Scored over 3 trillion.  :)

It helps that level 5 is now available for me in score attack mode which acts as a substitute practice mode.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Still at Gigawing. Have no missed up to level 4 a few times now and have got to level 5 with a couple of lives in stock. Pretty sure I have confirmed that level 4 will offer up a chance of a 1up if you are down to your last life, otherwise it dishes out a handful of ginormous gems to boost score.

Level 5 is nuts; will require some chunks of memorisation to get past. I keep nudging my high score too - 3.5 trillion now.
  • Alo', been absent from here for a while. Anyhoo, I bought rather a lot in the Steam sale. Granted, I already have some of these on other platforms but y'know, Steam sale innit. So;

Deathsmiles
    Mushihimesama
    XIIZEAL
    DELTAZEAL
    Raiden IV
    Blue Revolver
    Crimson Clover
    Eschatos
    Starr Mazer DSP
    Stardust Galaxy Warriors
    Diadra Empty
    Steredenn

Also grabbed Metal Slug, Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3, and Super Time Force Ultra for run n gun fun and I still might fold and get DoDonPachi Resurrection, Strania, and Shooting Love 200X (or at least EXZEAL and TRIZEAL Remix).

Ikaruga, The Tale of ALLTYNEX, Sine Mora, Satazius, and other gems are in the sale as well for any who haven't had the pleasure, with the mighty trio of games comprising The Tale of ALLTYNEX (ALLTYNEX Second, KAMUI, and RefleX) being especially worthy of your pennies. Steam have really upped the STG game in the last couple of years, eh?

Now if I can leave Overwatch alone long enough to play any of these that'll be great...
  • Oh, also bought Silpheed: The Lost Planet for my old PS2 from Amazon 'cause I've never played it and I've always lusted after that damn ship and I couldn't stretch to the 1/100 scale model.
  • Love Deathsmiles, feels so chunky and satisfying.

Also - forgot to pop in here and props up Davy for his one man shmup torch bearing further up the page. Good on ya!
  • I was at the Post Office earlier and saw a 'tated monitor for some advertising or something, except it wasn't on.  Reminded me of when I had a monitor like that.  Miss shmupping.
  • Aye, big Deathsmiles fan as well. Can't see the PC version replacing my 360 Deluxe Edition but it's nice to have it on the laptop when i'm out and about. 

And yeah, nice going Davy. I always enjoy the posts even if I don't comment.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This is he only type of game I really enjoy any more apart from some Tetris style puzzling and the very occasional Wii family lark.

Haven't kept up my Gigawing campaign sadly but I was doing rather well and will get back to it.

Deathsmiles is a lovely game though I haven't spent a huge amount of time with it ; certainly not recently.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!