I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • I got Metal Slug Anthology in the PSN sale.

Didn't realise it's a PS2 port.

Feels like there's input lag. Anyone else got any opinions on it?
  • Haven't played it yet and didn't realise it was a direct PS2 port but knowing that I wouldn't be surprised if it had issues. Will give it a go later but will probably end up returning to the Steam or MAME versions if it's really noticeable.

Oh, and the Metal Slug Bundle, MS, X, and 3, is only £5.99 on Steam atm. And they're all wonderful.
  • Lag may be due to a (non-powered) HDMI switch box I've put in place, but I haven't noticed it in fighters where it'd be easy to tell if there's any extra input lag.

Still hard to go wrong with Metal Slug, Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 2, Metal Slug 3, Metal Slug 4, Metal Slug 5, and Metal Slug 6 for €6.99.
  • It's not the hdmi. I did a review of the PSP anthology back in the The Player days. The PS2 version, which I played later, has noticeable input lag which was barely mentioned in a lot of reviews, for some reason. Great games, but not great ports.

Sorry bud.
  • Balls to that so.

I've just put in a refund request. They probably won't refund me because I've played it, but given that the description doesn't mention it's the PS2 port, I think I have a good case.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The PS2 version of MS Anthology, at least the PAL version,  is a letter boxed laggy 50Hz mess.

The PS2 got individual disc releases for 3, 4 and 5 in PAL and they are very good.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • As predicted Sony, have said no refund.

I bought it by going to the PS4 section of the January Sale. I assumed it was going to be like the Mega Man Collection.

Really annoying me now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I know this isn't a shmup and as such shouldn't really be here - but - Nuts...

• Crickey. I'll never get over just how easy some people can make very hard games look. Show that video to a Metal Slug n00b and they'll probably be all "dun't look too tough, gimme a couple of 'ours an' arr can do that". Sure thing, Tarquin.

There is a genuinely genuine Run 'n' Gun thread lurking around somewhere that @BlueSwril made once upon a time after the pair of us derailed some other poor thread with Metal Slug shenanigans. Unfortunately I deleted all my bookmarks when I took a sabbatical from the forum. A few posts ain't gonna hurt though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Picked up again with Gigawing this evening.

It's funny but when I take a break from a game and then return to it , the 1st credit is usually a really good game. Maybe it's because I don't expect to do well and am more relaxed? Doing well at these games requires a fair bit of practice - sure - but a state of mind definitely enters into it. Got to the level 4 boss 1st credit in nearly a month.

I'm trying to get a couple of credits a day in. But I reckon I need to really grind some practice on level 5 if I'm to make any meaningful progress.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Back into the Gigawing groove now. Getting to level 5 with a couple of lives is what I'm expecting now.

Thing is. Level 5 is a nightmare of bullets. It's going to take some grinding and memorisation. I'm motivated to do it but when it starts to feel like work I start to wonder if its worth it. Still - maybe it's time for me to take a stand and not admit defeat.  Maybe this is what it takes for someone of my age and ability.

There's a score attack mode that unlocks levels as you access them in arcade mode on 1 credit so I now have level 5 available on that. It's just a pity that mode doesn't have a quick restart which would facilitate more efficient practice.

I've just read that the DC version has less slowdown than the arcade version. That's understating it - I have yet to experience any slowdown at all.  :/

I'm going to grind on and I need to start just playing score attack on level 5 and try to plan a route. There are a few youtube playthroughs that might give me pointers too. 

My current high score places me one off the bottom of the shmups.com high score table.  Go me!!
  • Props, Davy. Onward and upward mate.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The modern shmup is such a demanding genre if you want to play them correctly - i.e. the 1CC. I'm not overly familiar with modern FPS and roam around games so maybe the tougher examples of those are in the same league. Would be interested to hear an informed opinion.  

I don't think they can be compared because their length excludes the concept of a 1 credit clearance?  The impression I have of modern games is that with save points and grinding anyone can complete them - but maybe something like Dark Souls is more in keeping with old school toughness?

Setting challenge aside I also believe that because shmups can be played for survival and then for score and then with different ships they have a longevity equal to seemingly larger games.

Gigawing, for example, consists of just 5 levels; each with a boss, and then a level 6 final boss fight, followed by a true final boss fight (level 7) if still on 1 credit. A run can be completed in 30mins. Of course that run is the result of many hours of practice. The muscle memory built up doing that gets severely challenged when trying one of the other 3 available ships - firstly because of the different movement speeds and shot configuration, but also because the order you tackle the first 3 levels also changes. This means you are playing the first 3 levels with different arrangements because the rank is partially related to the level number - it is really noticeable with the boss fights..no other genre consistently offers this differing level of challenge.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Interesting that you cite the Souls games, like a lot of shmups they are a champion of level design. Using the levels and enemies as key parts of the narrative, architecture being the way the dev can really interact with and guide the player

I wonder if in open world games, for years it was enough that there was freedom so size was the key above all else, Souls didn't do this, it doesn't reward freedom or exploration, it actively punishes it in many instances, you go where it wants you to go. It's enemies don't have artificial intelligence, they have attack patterns as rigid as anything you'll find in a shmup, and that's no bad thing, you learn, and when you fail you always know why, so you can try again and be a tiny bit better
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Haven't played Dark Souls but from what I've read here and elsewhere makes it sound very old school but also a bit of a time sink. 

The short run time of a shmup is what also attracts me to the genre as I've limited time and I usually lose the thread of any narrative in adventure games too easily. Sounds like Souls appeals to my sensibilities though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Made this run to level 5 this evening setting a personal high score. Broke 4 trillion for the 1st time. Getting to grips with the first part of level 5 but too many daft mistakes in level 4 left me with only 1 life and no bombs.

• Anyone gonna try Jap PSN store for Battle Garegga? Was out in December. I've forgotten password
    For my Jap account. May have to open another one.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If I had a PS4 it would be top of my list. Have only messed about with the original in MAME but haven't spent any real time on it.

Getting to level 5 Gigawing consistently with 2 lives. I'm using continues in level 5 to try and learn a path through it. Gigawing lets you store your high score when continuing - not many games do that. Up to 4.5 trillion today.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    oooohhh.. got deep into level 5 tonight. 5.4 trillion first game. Then had 2 shit runs and gave up.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    But you got deep, so yay, sure it'll get better
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Being honest, I got cocky because I was scoring (for me!) really heavily and caning the early levels (hit 1 trillion after level 2 instead of at the level 3 boss) and then the  game smacked my arse.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just learned of game called 1943 : Joint Strike on XBL. Looks good - anyone here played it?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I remember playing various versions of 1943 as a kid and later, always fun, but have no existence of the version you mention
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looks a bit weird being a verizontal game. There's a local and online co-op mode.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The levels look a bit sleepy - esp. compared to modern games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Never voted in this but I'm going to this year.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59432

The place has rather vocal elitists but it's a good place for info sources etc. and this vote always gets people riled up so I'm going in.
  • I'm all for old school shmups but Joint Strike looks depressingly bland. And yeah, I'm not sure the vertizontal style suits it at all. When it woks it's great (Jamestown take a bow) but here it looks like here you get a screen mostly empty of enemies and bullets which makes those dull backgrounds stand out all the more. Nah.

Will devour shmups.com's annual top 25 vote with glee though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Thought about shelling out for 1942 Joint Strike but it looks very bullet light and a tiny bit dull so I'll pass.

Here's my candidates for the vote:

Mushi Futari (360)
    Gigawing (DC)
    DoDonPachi (Saturn)
    Gradius (Saturn)
    Darius Gaiden (Saturn)
    Parodius:Fantastic Journey (Saturn)
    Under Defeat (360)
    Super Aleste (SNES)
    Super Swiv (SNES)
    Layer Section (Saturn)
    Raiden III (PS2)
    Gunbird 2 (DC)
    Fantasy Zone (Saturn)
    Tempest 2000 (Saturn)
    Asteroids Deluxe (Arcade)
    Game Tengoku (Saturn)
    RType (PS1)
    Twin Hawk (MD)
    Hellfire (MD)
    Gate of Thunder (PCE)
    Star Force (Arcade)
    Super Star Soldier (Gamecube)
    Castle Shikigami 2 (Gamecube)
    Exzeal (360)
    Bangai-O (DC)
    Deathsmiles (360)
    Phoenix (arcade)
    Radiant Silvergun (Saturn)
    Dropzone(NES)
    Return of the Invaders (arcade)
    Muchi Muchi Pork (360)
    Astro Blaster (arcade)
  • Whadda list, Davy! There's a fair few I haven't played granted, but the likes of Gunbird 2, Bangai-O, and Under Defeat all gettin' love warms my heart. Mushi Futari and well, anything Cave goes without saying. Mastery of the craft. Also, the inclusion of Radiant Silvergun but exclusion of Ikaruga is something I wholeheartedly agree with.

I might be tempted to have a go, on here like, dunno if I'm brave enough for shmups.com. Expect a shedload of doujin gems.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Ikaruga is a funny one. I admire it but just don't like it even though I've held onto it. (I have the US Gamecube version). It doesn't feel like a shmup. Quite unique actually.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!