I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK wrote:
    Anyone know of a service/company that can repair arcade sticks? I have a Hori stick for my 360 and the primary button (green) is playing up - when I'm playing a Cave shmup and using normal fire it must be sticking a bit as it pops in and out of laser mode - as if I'm holding the button down. I've just reassigned the buttons in the game but long term I'd like to get the button replaced. Opened the stick up and the green button is beneath a PCB and everything is soldered in place anyhow so no way I would tackle fixing this myself.

Is it this stick: http://www.gamemanx.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/xbox360-hori-ex2.jpg

If so, everything is soldered in them, so fixing does require the use of a soldering gun.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. That's the one.

I have 2 of them but I'd like to get this one sorted out.  The buttons are nice and sensitive - the green button doesn't even feel different to the others but I've tried it with 2 different Cave games (DDP:Res and Futari) and I'm getting the same effect.

Using red and blue resolves the issue of course - but I don't like having dodgy hardware like that.

Know anyone here who does that sort of thing?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Where do you live Davy? Might be easier to find someone to help.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Belfast.

Not much hope of finding someone in this area. There is a local guy who does soldering/repair but not sure he'd be up for this. Would need to supply the parts etc.
  • Sure there's a whole fighting game scene in Belfast. Guarantee you'll find someone to help.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/irishfgc/?fref=nf

Post there or on our Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/0k8YDBGVSKMuS1PM
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    cheers for that..
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some guy playing DoDonPachi with Kinnect control. It's an unlockable in a JPN only interactive novel based on the IP.

Fucking mad. The port looks to be toned down a tad - but still - its DDP!

http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18619836

Playing DDP on the Saturn this week with my rotated CRT. Tough bast. Tried out its predecessor DonPachi on shmupMAME too - nice game.

Also went back to Mushi Futari this week (1.5 Original). Scored 70m with normal Reco which is a best for me. Got deep into level 4.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I was just looking to download Warning Forever as I haven't played it in years and decided to catch up on shmup news. Then I saw this

Now I know it's a contradiction given that the Kenta Cho masterpiece I named above is also in many ways a pure roguelike, but most scrolling shmups are so heavily reliant on level design that leaving that element up to random seems madness. It looks fun though and they've obviously got a large library of attack patterns that they'll be using and selecting from. Just wondered what you guys thought of the concept
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I like the concept of generated levels. One aspect of STGs I don't like is the heavy memorisation which can make it feel like work instead of play.

I can only imagine that the difficulty would have to take a knock to allow improvisation during play. In my opinion that's only a good thing. There's only so much pain someone like me can take with bullet hell games.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You mentioned MAME STG earlier in thread, is this a specific variant for shmups or just finding a decent library of them. Also what kinda standard is Saturn DC emulation at nowadays or can those titles run on MAME. I set it up once about ten years ago, and not had a PC since so have no idea what quality is like
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    shmupMAME is a special build of MAME that reduces lag. (MAME 0.99 I believe was the last build).

I have a version of it with a set of ROMs I got when I subbed to Stuart Campbell's website. PM me if interested. It appears to run the DonDonPachi, Battle Garegga, Strikers era of shmups pretty well on my 8-9 year old PC. 

Saturn emulation is pretty darn decent by all accounts. SSF is the weapon of choice. I have tried it on some games and it seems to work OK but my aging PC is probably holding it back.I haven't really pursued it that much as I only use it to check something out.

No idea about DC emulation.

On a related subject, there's a thread over at shmups.com about organising a Twinkle Star Sprite tournament using something called fightcade which on inspection appears to allow you to run arcade games in multiplayer over the net. Could be interesting for some shmup co-op play, or indeed a versus game of TSS.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I did run a DC emu back then so if there's still a community around it then I imagine it will run a tonne smoother, although I should get my Dreamcast back pretty soon anyway, can always burn discs if I need them. Interesting cheers, will have a proper look this evening. Just really fancy a few blasts on some old gems. Plus it seems Kenta Cho is still making games and quite prolifically, so much goodness out there that my aging and failing reactions will fail to let me penetrate
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    so much goodness out there that my aging and failing reactions will fail to let me penetrate

Tell me about it. I shit myself when I get to level 4 of anything now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Enjoying Saturn mode of DoDonPachi. It seems to act as a novice mode. It is slightly easier and has more generous 1UP score boundaries. It also has a level 0 complete with its own boss. It has one loop only and apparantly there is no requirement to reach the true final boss.

In the options you can select to play it as loop 1 or loop 2.

Managed to get to level 5 last night on it (loop 1, blue ship). It should be a nice segway into the arcade mode which is just that bit too tough for me at the mo.  I find the usual Cave novice modes to be too easy - this seems to just have the difficulty pitched right.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Still at DoDonPachi. It really is a stupendous game. Really loving it. I'm sticking with the blue ship which gives you less control when chaining but because of the spread shot gives me a chance at 1CCing it. 

I'm loving the bomb scoring rules - trying to keep the maximum bomb bonus going as long as I can - got a x2 multiplier going as I kept my max bomb going into level 3. Excellent stuff. It makes boss fights such a risk/reward thing with not wanting to bomb. Such a well designed game.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Right, I'm struggling, I grabbed shmupmame and a bumper pack of roms, now I'm just mega confused and none of it works, any chance of a link to a decent walkthrough
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Getting working roms to match the version of mame you have is tough. I'll pm you.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Appreciated
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    STILL at DoDonPachi and I'm actually making progress(!). Have reached level 5 a few times (it's a 6 level game) and enjoying it. Note the TATE-ed CRT.

DDP_ArcadeMode.jpg
  • Original or resurrection?

Reminds me. Darius Burst is £15 on PSN store. Gonna buy it. 

Wanna try and find Raiden V on Bone for a dedent price too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Quote jealous of the vertical screen, I tried looking for a mount that would do the same for my 50" plasma, couldn't find one
  • I used to have a rotating monitor. Sold it and bought a big TV instead that had far better picture quality.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Original or resurrection?
    Original on Sega Saturn.Arcade mode. Though it was trying resurrection that prompted me to go back to the original.

Just playing for survival at present though I try and chain level 1. I'm also flirting with trying to milk the bomb maximum bonus but once I hit level 4 it's about staying alive. The game is quite generous with bombs - with each life loss it adds one to your stock up to a max of 6 - but it's infuriating to lose a life with a full bomb stock.

Not really going for bees and any thoughts of the 2nd loop are delusional.

I'm finding that having the hit box at the front of the ship is more manageable than with games that have it at the centre of your ship (e.g. Futari). I just seem to be able navigate patterns better.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Playing a bit of Pink Sweets this weekend - haven't really given it any attention before as I've tended to go for Muchi Muchi Pork on the same disc.

Now that I know what I'm doing I'm enjoying it. It's a tough one though it's a nice change from the usual Cave style. Have been looking into its predecessor, Ibara, itself a followup to Battle Garegga - didn't realise Pink Sweets was essentially a Raizing style game.

btw the price of the disc for 360 has gone up - not many examples of sold items on eBay for less than £90 now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jesus Pink Sweets is hard. I knew it was rated for difficulty at shmups.com but this is ridiculous. Credit fed my way to the end - level 4 has such a spike in difficulty - though I found the final boss easy but that was no doubt due to the rank crashing as I credit fed.
  • Yeah there's one level that just goes on and on and is so bastard difficult. Beautiful though and good design.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DDP:Resurrection released on Steam.  No interest to me as I have the 360 version but it's nice to see this sort of thing happening. No idea re how it performs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have decided to concentrate on Futari BL Original for a while as it's supposed to be the easiest when it comes to 1CCs. Playing with Reco. Was damn close to getting to level 5 today - the level 4 boss had about 5 seconds of life left when I crapped out. 170m odd but going by scoring guides you an get that score by level 2 (!!)
  • Arrange non-BL is easy to 1CC. Even I did it. BL Arrange should be too.
  • Yeah I got the 1cc on arrange ultra I'm pretty sure (repel the bullets?) Fun way to make ultra accessible, although it's more hold on in slow bullets then repel, than actual dodging.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!