• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Just played through Raiden V: DC, with lots of continues of course. As I suspected, these modern shooters are far too tough for the likes of me. Still, I manage some nice maneouvres at times, which is always satisfying. Some minor niggles, such as bullets getting lost in the busy backgrounds and those cheapo little tanks that appear from the sides right at the bottom of the screen, but overall I like how hectic it is, and the music's very good. I'll probably still play some more, maybe see if I can at least get a good chunk of the way through on an easier difficulty. End of level 3 is my best effort so far on normal.

Sniping tanks seems to be a feature of the Raiden series.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
      P.s. any update on your cab, Davy?

Was emailed documentation day before yesterday.

Includes stuff like a certificate to assure that the pallet is heat sealed (non coniferous wood etc.)  Making it all real. Three other bits of paper I can't make any sense of.

The guy at TNT has said to just print them out and wait for the company to contact me.  ETA still 5th Jan but the TNT guy said it should be arriving soon - so maybe a day or two before that? Mentally I'm still preparing for another week's wait.

I still can't quite believe this is actually happening!

Itsallhappening.gif

In some way it feels like we're all getting an arcade cabinet :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Properly lost it tonight and slammed my fist onto the controller after another retarded mistake (latter half of level 5 - all lives + 5 bombs in stock).

Had a couple of TLB runs earlier today. This is so effing annoying.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Will go back later and check I haven't fucked the buttons up. It's a fairly hefty stick but still....
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looks like I've knackered the buttons on my Mayflash PS2/PC stick.

Will need to try one of my Hori 360 sticks and hold my temper.

:(

There's been a lot of shit going on this past week which belongs in another thread (no gaming) so I haven't been playing.......seem to have resolution in sight so hope to be back at this in a day or so.

Also - 5th Jan is ETA for Asteroids Deluxe.......
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Played some more Gigawing last night for first time in nearly a week. Opened up my Mayflash stick that I thumped. No sign of trauma but none of the 8 buttons are registering in MAME. However MAME is showing double settings for each button which is weird - I may delete the cfg file and try again.

So I resorted to using one of my 360 Hori sticks which performs well (and works with Steam games - the Mayflash never did). Had a few runs to level 5. I then practiced the TLB from a save state and defeated it a few times with 2 lives.

Enjoyed it - I think I needed the break to be honest.

Went into Steam and played a wee bit of In extremis which is a very stylish vertical shmup. Enjoyed it but didn't want to play too much and mess up any Gigawing muscle memory.

Played the Dreamcast version of Gigawing a bit too.  It really does look a lot better playing this game on a CRT. The official DC stick is a joy to use as well. Did OK - had a couple of level 5 runs. I played about with a different character too which was enjoyable.
  • Good stuff Davy. A break is great for improving, you'll find you're stronger than before shortly enough.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Dunno if it technically counts as a shmup but this arrived today! Got a few bits coming from my Birthday funds :D

4FFCB970-63CA-42E3-B52B-70FF54801BA2_zpsqfhxypcd.jpg

3D1A7F07-3393-4305-A401-F24B9D206192_zpswpnjlrw0.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Asteroids Deluxe : 5th Jan has passed now with no comms from the importer.   :(

Weekend probably impacting - and it was only an ETA. Hopeful for something happening Mon/Tue.

Still adjusting to the 360 Hori stick for Gigawing. I'm activating the reflect shield by mistake sometimes which is a bit annoying - the fire button return isn't as snappy so the stick is detecting my rapid taps as holding the button down. Not the greatest stick but I'll adjust. Some level 6 runs with silly mistakes today.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That artwork for Next Machina or some branded boxed product? Nice whatever it is.

Since I've become less fat I've had a notion to get some shmup t-shirts.

Fancy Cave, DoDonPachi and RSG ones for starters - redbubble do them - anyone try them before?
  • It’s a Limited Run physical version of the game. Comes with soundtrack.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Thats the one. Just hope its good as I've never played it! Did get 20% off though so won't lose on it.
  • It’s ruddy great mate, enjoy!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice!
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Finally got time to try Nex Machina... what a fucking game! Absolutely love it! Really glad I got the hard copy now.

Didn't realise Eugene Jarvis had a hand in it either (Robotron is an all time fave of mine).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This bloody game. Gigawing. Playing really solidly but then I make a stupid mistake.

The fact that the game has no 1UPs apart from the mercy one in level 4 that you can only get when down to 1 life means there is little margin for error.

It requires no-missing up to level 6 and my consistency just isn't there yet. I keep losing my 1st life with 5 bombs due to a stupid mistake either in level 4 or 5. Sigh. There really is no excuse to losing a life in level 4. It has a couple of tight sections but I can normally get through them and there's always bombs. 

The switch of controllers hasn't helped but I feel that the Hori stick is better now that I'm adjusting to it and I think it will be a help.

Anyhow - on another topic - an obvious question that I don't think has been asked..at least in a while..

Favourite traditional shmup? I'll allow 3.

As usual as time goes by this changes but at the minute my picks in no particular order are DoDonPachi, Mushi Futari and Layer Section.

Gigawing is flavour of the month of course but I'm discounting that. It's a solid game that is very satisfying but I'm not sure it's a top 3. I can remember Edge having it in its 10 best shooting games lists which made me raise an eyebrow.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Hishouzame
    Mushihimesami Futari 1.5

First two are easy, need to think on the 3rd. I'm lucky enough to have owned the PCB for both, wish I still did.

The 3rd though... argh, so many potentials...
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Oddly I really don't like Layer Section.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If pressed I'd probably replace it with a Parodius game but at this point in time it stays.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re Futari 1.5 , what's your feeling on Black Label?

It feels more fun to play sometimes - I'm not sure though.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Re Futari 1.5 , what's your feeling on Black Label?

It feels more fun to play sometimes - I'm not sure though.

Not played it much to really comment, most of my gametime was on the PCB version of 1.5.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ah.. Black Label was DLC with the 360 port. It feels quite similar - like an arrange mode - though you don't have normal/abnormal shot type selection.  It just somehow feels more fun. Apparently 1.5 Original BL with Reco is an easier 1CC.

The gem counter colour changes every 2000 instead of 500 and you get a sound when it changes which is handy too.

I presume a Futari PCB would be costly?

If my Asteroids Deluxe experience is positive I'm seriously thinking of selling my collection and getting into JAMMA and PCBs.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    PCB prices for shmups have gone completely insane since I left the scene.

I think my Futari was £350ish but now, I dread to think.

You don't really lose with PCB's though, high cost to buy but you can normally sell for what you paid. Never lost on any of mine that I recall. Spending £500 on a PCB is easier to swallow when in most cases you can turn it back to cash in 24 hours for the good boards.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yikes. As you say though if you play and sell you can keep recycling the cash to play plenty of games. And shmups is a genre that requires you concentrate on one or two at a time.

Have thought about a Supergun but I'd really rather have a cabinet at some point.
  • My top 3 would probably be:

Ikaruga
    Mushi Futari 1.5 incl Black Label
    Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu incl Black Label
  • Battle Garegga arrives tomorrow. Mega excited!
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Such a good fucking game.

If you have any trouble I can screenshot the menu screens for the English one.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!