Zelda
  • I'm watching Tilly play BotW at 720p rn and I'm fine with that for TotK if it hits a stable 30fps.

I'd prefer a hardware refresh so it can run at 60fps though. I'm not an image quality snob but I value a smooth framerate and I've had my Switch five years now - six by the time the sequel comes out - so wouldn't feel stung by a successor.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'd prefer a hardware refresh so it can run at 60fps though.

This such an important thing for me. If Switch 2 doesn't have full b/c at a minimum I will be pissed. It should also improve performance on previous gen games like recent XBox/PS do.

If they go completely left field again and do a hard reset I would seriously consider just going full PS.

I like the Switch a lot, a lot of people do just look at the sales. For what it is it works perfectly imo, JoyCon issues aside of course. I just hope they stick with it now and run with it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Love DS coming in having not actually owned a Nintendo machine.

Big dogs do
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I owned them all lad shut ya pie hole. Switch was gash. Only good ones are GC and N64 shut up. Even had a Wii fml
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Here he comes Mr hotstepper
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Go back to ur Xenoblud
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    They put swimsuits in it
  • I can justify buying a switch for one game but every time I see this thread I’m a little bit ashamed that I haven’t played Botw
    GT: Knight640

• This was always gonna be a more of the same instead of the next big thing though. Like how Majora's reused all the assets from Ocarina for a quick cheap turn around.

There must be more to it than we've seen, it's due to take them six years to finish it and the BotW team was huge iirc. It's bound to be much more than just tweaked Hyrule + a few sky islands, surely. But if Hyrule is the starting point how the hell do they replicate the 'I'm going on an adventure!' feeling that was so intrinsic to BotW once you left the great plateau? Starting on a postage stamp of a map, without any idea of how far the playarea stretched, or what lay in the north, south, east or west.

It's going to sound greedy/fanciful, but I wonder if there's a switcheroo under wraps. Like a flipside Hyrule underneath, a monstrous map high above, or shifting landscapes or something. Basically I understand reusing assets, it's reusing the entire location I can't come to terms with, to the point where it still baffles me. All that stuff about points of interest drawing the eye and beckoning the player over in BotW....how do you sustain intrigue and interest in such a humongous playarea if the majority of players are revisiting it? That floating island above the lost woods looks nice?

'Let's reuse aaaalll this bit, and add these bits' - which may or may not have been said at a BotW2 whiteboard meeting - is absolutely bonkers. They've got the money, staff and ability to design an entirely new area (they did it for the first game!), and they've had the time too. Especially when the building blocks were already in place (I presume this is running on a tweaked version of the existing engine). There were six years between the original Zelda and A Link to the Past, and six years between that and Ocarina of Time. Game development has changed dramatically, but even so this doesn't seem like a six year wait kind of seismic mainline installment to me, based on what we've seen.

Will it be GotY? For a ton of people it probably will (myself included, perhaps). Reusing an existing Hyrule in a great game would still earn them a boo from me though.

I need to sign up to Reddit.
  • I just don’t see that it’s taken this long to develop yet it’s just going to be the same map but with sky islands and 1000000000006 new Korok seeds.
  • Maybe it'll be like the Light World/Dark World from ALttP.

Same basic land geography but with different towns, buildings etc.

What's the timeline difference between the two games? 10 years? 100 years?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 6 years.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It’ll be good and you all know it. Unless they’ve just put Skyward Sword in there and then it defo won’t be.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    This was always gonna be a more of the same instead of the next big thing though. Like how Majora's reused all the assets from Ocarina for a quick cheap turn around.
    There must be more to it than we've seen, it's due to take them six years to finish it and the BotW team was huge iirc. It's bound to be much more than just tweaked Hyrule + a few sky islands, surely. But if Hyrule is the starting point how the hell do they replicate the 'I'm going on an adventure!' feeling that was so intrinsic to BotW once you left the great plateau? Starting on a postage stamp of a map, without any idea of how far the playarea stretched, or what lay in the north, south, east or west. It's going to sound greedy/fanciful, but I wonder if there's a switcheroo under wraps. Like a flipside Hyrule underneath, a monstrous map high above, or shifting landscapes or something. Basically I understand reusing assets, it's reusing the entire location I can't come to terms with, to the point where it still baffles me. All that stuff about points of interest drawing the eye and beckoning the player over in BotW....how do you sustain intrigue and interest in such a humongous playarea if the majority of players are revisiting it? That floating island above the lost woods looks nice? 'Let's reuse aaaalll this bit, and add these bits' - which may or may not have been said at a BotW2 whiteboard meeting - is absolutely bonkers. They've got the money, staff and ability to design an entirely new area (they did it for the first game!), and they've had the time too. Especially when the building blocks were already in place (I presume this is running on a tweaked version of the existing engine). There were six years between the original Zelda and A Link to the Past, and six years between that and Ocarina of Time. Game development has changed dramatically, but even so this doesn't seem like a six year wait kind of seismic mainline installment to me, based on what we've seen. Will it be GotY? For a ton of people it probably will (myself included, perhaps). Reusing an existing Hyrule in a great game would still earn them a boo from me though. I need to sign up to Reddit.

Re-using Hyrule from BotW, even 'tweaked', would be disastrous. So much of BotW came from the exploration, opening up new sections, checking something local out and ending up on a horse for twenty minutes. If none of that existed, and you're left with fight mechanics and simple temple puzzles, even with more 'verticality', it's rubbish.
  • I trust Nintendo not to fuck it up.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • To a large extent BotW was Nintendo saying "hey, this is how you do open world".
    The industry response was "Oh yeah cheers, we'll do that then" to different degrees. Some took details others like Immortals pretty much made BotW2.

5 years later BotW is still excellent but wont feel as fresh to new players.
    Its a curse of success.

So yeah BotW with some floating islands and a Green Goblin glider isn't going to cut it really. Certainly not if it chuggs along while many of us have moved into a new hardware gen making that gap between Switch and the rest larger than before from a technical perspective.

That all said I do think there will be more to it than all that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It'll get an Edge 10 and be Skyward fucking Sword all over again
  • Immortality got an Edge 10.
    Everything gets an Edge 10.

Oprah.meme
  • All I know if I'm going to buy it and play it and I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it.
  • Maybe they've done an MGS2 with all the promo footage and after the first few hours you'll find yourself playing on a different island. As Beedle.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Maybe they've done an MGS2 with all the promo footage and after the first few hours you'll find yourself playing on a different island. As Beedle.

I'd play the fuck outta that
  • I have similar feelings... its kind of encouraging that they've changed it from BotW2 to a new name perhaps suggesting a more prominent sequel than we were initially led to believe.

BotW Hyrule was the absolute highlight for me (on Wii U no less lol) so i'd love to see what they do with this. 

I reckon the sky 'islands' will be like the way they handled the flying divine beast, you'll be able to see them from the ground but a cutscene will get you up there. 

I want proper dungeons this time though goddamit.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    I have similar feelings... its kind of encouraging that they've changed it from BotW2 to a new name perhaps suggesting a more prominent sequel than we were initially led to believe.

BotW Hyrule was the absolute highlight for me (on Wii U no less lol) so i'd love to see what they do with this. 

I reckon the sky 'islands' will be like the way they handled the flying divine beast, you'll be able to see them from the ground but a cutscene will get you up there. 

I want proper dungeons this time though goddamit.

I’m pretty sure they never called it botw2
    The Forum Herald™
  • They’ve always placeholdered it with “the sequel to Breath of the Wild”
  • monkey wrote:
    They’ve always placeholdered it with “the sequel to Breath of the Wild”

Which is not BotW 2
    The Forum Herald™
  • A Splatoon style sequel
  • Hey everyone it’s taken them six years to think of a subtitle! That’s a guarantee of quality !
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!