Zelda
  • Gorgeous version of Link's Awakening for PC.

Link here:

https://mega.nz/file/mcJzXTLY#QUSLLlmn6psyypmq9dBxHrZX3L19HgPUQ8YbQrCwuo0

No emulator required. Works on Deck too.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The big push starts now. In the Gerudu area investigating my 4th phenomena. Gonna get this done.

SPOILERS FOR SOME PROBABLY. Nothing major other than chat about boss phases/structure etc.

So the big push has been going on for three days now. We're on the final boss, and to compound my frustrations with so much else the game forces you to do, it's mystifyingly mean for a Nintendo game. You have to run a gauntlet just to reach the boss, and if you want to leave the boss fight you have to reload a previous save and (as far as I can tell), run the gauntlet again. All in an area that insists on thinking gloom damage - basically hearts being stolen that can't be restored - is a neat idea. Horrible. I've got four hearts to play with at the start of the fight and a load of health regen backpack meals that are essentially useless, so it's git gud (terrible fight/parry system yay) or bin my current save and redo the whole stretch with a backpack full of gloom remedies. Which I don't know how to make.

Unreasonably harsh imo, Tilly just wants to see the end and I just want to stop playing the fucking thing. The busywork just to get here has done me in.
  • I can reach the second part of phase 2 of the boss fight, just, but that's only happened twice in an hour.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Have you found any recipes that counter gloom? Pretty sure I was loaded up with those going in there.

My year in review had this at 200+ hours, loved all of it.
    Things can only get better.
  • I gave up and left the area, so I have some now (after a spot of Googling). Just need to build up the willpower to go back and do the whole section again.
  • It's done. Gloom regeneration grub made all the difference.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Nice!
    Things can only get better.
  • How many hearts and gloom meals did you have? My last save on this is me about to go down into the hole. Been saving it / putting it off until I've got a few straight hours to get it all done.
  • 12 hearts I think. Armour up to 21. I'd advise spending 20mins grabbing 10-15 more sundelions from sky islands and stocking up on meals as they go quick if your parry/dodge flurry game is weak (hello). I had about 8 and used them all.
  • Ok I've got about that in meals I think and about 20 hearts.
  • My parry technique is fine. It's the game that keeps fucking it up.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I agree there, the timing windows for stuff like parry and dodge is wonky as fuck and feels inconsistent
  • When I was stupidly trying to beat the boss with 4 hearts even the first phase felt different each time. Best I could get in the end was a 50% chance of success, and the sweet spot for the backflip seemed to keep moving. Seen people on the dreadedreddit talking about how they've bossed Sekiro/Elden Ring multiple times but never got their timings right for the TotK dodge flurries. I can believe it.
  • I agree there, the timing windows for stuff like parry and dodge is wonky as fuck and feels inconsistent

It is inconsistent - it was dodgy as fuck in BotW and they didn’t bother fixing it for Trudge of the Kingdom. Just, really shit combat.
  • Wait, people thought that?? Damn I wish I was more vocal about it. DS told me I was a scrub and I should have it nailed so I just kept quiet thinking okay maybe I am a scrub.

The dodge/parry thing in BOTW was fucking raw pish.
  • The combat needed a complete overhaul but much like a ton of other things it just got used again.

Here comes my broken record: I still can't fathom why literally retreading old ground got such an aggressively defensive free pass online.
  • It’s that rush of nostalgia that Nintendo stuff elicits. It’s powerful bump that everyone get hit with and blinds us to the TRUDGE.
  • The main quest is a bit of a trudge, can't disagree. It might be the best videogame playground ever created for just pootling about in though. Play it in Louis Armstrong relax mode and I doubt there aren't many games that can touch it. RDR2 maybe, I'm sure there are other viable shouts but none that spring to mind. Plough your own furrow and it's great, follow the yellow marker road and it's disappointing. Ergo not peak Zelda for my tastes and it'll be dropping out of my tentative top 5 in the reg thread.
  • The timing of the parrying is supposed to vary from enemy to enemy and with their different attacks. But it's too much of a mess, broken up, chaotic and unenjoyable to ever gain the right level of familiarity with it. You're better off avoiding parrying altogether and dodging out of the way if you need to. Now and again that dodge will kick off a flurry rush that you can use. But, especially in the early game, that's an invitation to use up a weapons durability that I don't want to take anyway.

It's best to avoid fighting anything. Pick them off with explosives and arrows. If you get stuck in a crowd, get out a big heavy weapon that lets you windmill around and knock them all back 20 feet. #LeetTips
  • The timing on the dodge is shit too. And it ain’t about different enemies and different timings - it’s just shit.
  • They do have different timings making it more difficult. But yes it's also extremely shit.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Jeez scrubs in here
  • The trudge has lifted. Just watching Tilly enjoy herself roaming around with no main quest markers to worry about and it's a very special game. Flawed as a Zelda quest, untouchable as a playground to piss about in.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The trudge has lifted. Just watching Tilly enjoy herself roaming around with no main quest markers to worry about and it's a very special game. Flawed as a Zelda quest, untouchable as a playground to piss about in.

I'm feeling the same way about Red Dead 2.

The amount of things to do is just overwhelming, but the main missions are leaving me cold.

It's such an epic game it's hard not to be impressed, yet my experience pales compared to the much simpler and streamlined first game.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • With you on that. RDR(edemption) was a 9 for me (just hopping between story scenes), RDR2 was a 7. You have to let the latter breathe a bit to get the most out of it and that's just not the way I play games.
  • I can't even comprehend the camp upgrades, and apparently you need to do that to fast travel. So I literally have to do side quests to upgrade the camp in order to make travelling quicker.

That's fucked.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Even then you can't fast travel at the drop of a hat, iirc. You can only travel from camp to elsewhere instantly, not vice versa.
  • TotK has really excellent music, I'll give it that at very least.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!