Zelda
  • mannaboy wrote:
    Took down one of the three headed dragons last night, epic fight, but yeah combat in this isn’t great. Spent most of the time hiding.

Yeah, my standard technique with those was to stick the relevant elemental eyeball on an arrow, and merrily fire from behind cover…

• mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Ditto. :)
    Things can only get better.
  • Fire temple done - I was pretty pleased with that whole section.

I don't feel like I did the temple the way that was intended but that felt kinda refreshing (I did a lot of climbing walls to reach the higher floors than mess about with mine carts and tracks).

Boss was also a nice throwback. Cutscenes remain cheesy as fuck. 

Will carry on doing sidequests then proceed to the next.
  • I'm at the end. It feels like a spike, so I'll be doing some more prep for now.
  • Have you done the gleeoks?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Nope. The real Dark Souls is dealing with ALL THE GLOOM
  • So it turns out it might be me that just sucks at the combat. My son has taken down a Lionel with just 8 hearts and effortlessly took on the three dudes I was struggling with my weapons and barely having to use any special items. He then said 'that's how you do it dad' and gave me an encouraging thumbs up before leaving.

I've done a couple of cool shrines this morning, Found the horse god and I've only one tower left to find.
    The Forum Herald™
  • The combat isn't hard. That's what multiple YouTube videos have demonstrated to me anyway. Fucked if I can get to grips with it though. The enemy attacks are easy to telegraph but all have slightly different timing so it's impossible to get any rhythm going with it. And there's no strategies for dealing with groups. So if there's two of them, I dunno. Don't get into that situation I suppose. Even if I'm making it work, none of it is very fun. Even if it was fun, your weapons break so there's a cost to it. And the silver enemies can take a ridiculous amount of damage.

So I'm more of an arrow between the eyes man. Long-range arrows. Close range arrows. Arrows when they're lying on the ground. Arrows when they're right in front of me with their backs turned. Arrows.
  • monkey wrote:
    The combat isn't hard. That's what multiple YouTube videos have demonstrated to me anyway. Fucked if I can get to grips with it though. The enemy attacks are easy to telegraph but all have slightly different timing so it's impossible to get any rhythm going with it. And there's no strategies for dealing with groups. So if there's two of them, I dunno. Don't get into that situation I suppose. So I'm more of an arrow between the eyes man. Long-range arrows. Close range arrows. Arrows when they're lying on the ground. Arrows when they're right in front of me with their backs turned. Arrows.

Yes. I accidently got hit by an enemy winding up to attack my little bird mate which happened to knock off my last heart and kill me yesterday.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Given how much there is of it, and how much you need the resources from the enemies, the combat should be the bread and butter of the whole game. The meat and potatoes.

Instead it's the baked beans in an English breakfast. The sprouts at Christmas. Something to be avoided and navigated around.
  • I don't like the mechanics for the fighty bits.  They're not fully bad, but it's hard not to imagine how much better both games would be with an actual legit, moreish combat system where you might jump into skirmishes just because they're fun. 

I still think Arkham style combat is the best fit for this sort of thing.  It's basic, but much more fun that the swordplay here imo.  Shadow of Mordor and Mad Max both used it and mopping up baddies was never a chore for me.  Spiderman basically used it too but the character didn't feel heavy enough for my tastes.
  • I've no issues with the combat other than when I get surrounded and blindsided. That can feel a little unfair but perhaps i should've run around a bit to create a better attack path. 

My attack strat is usually count to 4 while attacking then backflip/or sidehop. Then go back in smashing. If it's a big enemy (the fat round one) i'll keep my distance and use arrows with things attached. I always forget which is the homing one. 

I always forget recall too which is seemingly the best way to attack :D
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • What does recall do in combat ?
    The Forum Herald™
  • arrows fire back at enemies for one
  • i seem low on rockets, it's a shame you can't pick up the ones you see and store them.
  • Completed some kind of labyrinth thing which leads to a side quest.. then stumbled on side quest to find some stealth gear then went down a cave and killed a black hinok (At least that's what austy says it called One eye'd bastard)

Then came across some red .. that I cant kill.. any tips?
    Spoiler:
    The Forum Herald™
  • Prep advice:
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • If you come across that thing too early, run. I still run from them because they're a pain in the arse and the trade off for what I use to kill them isn't worth what they drop.
    But bomb flowers aimed at the eyes do a good job. You've got to bombard them repeatedly because the hands grow back if you don't finish them all off quickly. Getting to high ground helps as they can't climb. Any sort of distance you can get between you and them is helpful.

Some (I don't know how many) have a second phase as well.
    Spoiler:
  • Got up the zonaite tower thing in the sky, was fun. Going to head back to Kokoriko village and going to sort out this ring stuff so i can get past the people blocking me. Did everyone do that early? 

Then heading to goron again to do a tonne of sidequests
  • Gloom hands
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    With regards to the spoilered enemy I just launched myself in the air and fired like 8 bomb/ruby arrows. Did the trick.
  • Cheers Boys.

The other thing I'm struggling with is gettin high enough up to get to the sky islands.. falling boulders often don't go high enough..

Is there an unlock in the story or am I supposed to figure something out that I haven't done or do I just need ot upgrade my battery enough that a zonite powered hot air ballon will take me?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Battery and stamina upgrades mainly. Then as you reach one, it's a launch pad for the next. There's a couple of story bits that take you up quite high as well.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Towers are better than those recalled blocks typically for getting up high. Then building wing based craft to reach other distant islands. Having full stamina upgrades helps you fly longer. Having the Rito companion. Using waterfalls.

Some islands aren’t meant to be climbed, some quests or challenges will automatically put you up to their high point.
  • Unless you do what I did and miss the robot giving you the challenge at the bottom island and spend 15 minutes climbing up thinking there must be something amazing at the top.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Yeah I was too embarrassed to mention I just did the same thing. :)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yesterday and today were the days I finally overcame my zelda crippling overwhelmingness.

I cleared a significant quest in the depths with a boss that was an absolute lol in its mechanics, I finally took a band to see a person from old zelda games, I cleared out a village of hard-core pirates (this took hours of replays - is that dark souls?) And I got upgrades galore for a trusty device.
    That plus 2 tears.

All of this has put me in better place in terms of not feeling like I was just fucking drowning in content. Have a good sense now of getting on with it, but that moment of stepping out into the wild can really swallow you up.
  • You can only eat an elephant one bite at a time
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Yesterday and today were the days I finally overcame my zelda crippling overwhelmingness. I cleared a significant quest in the depths with a boss that was an absolute lol in its mechanics, I finally took a band to see a person from old zelda games, I cleared out a village of hard-core pirates (this took hours of replays - is that dark souls?) And I got upgrades galore for a trusty device. That plus 2 tears. All of this has put me in better place in terms of not feeling like I was just fucking drowning in content. Have a good sense now of getting on with it, but that moment of stepping out into the wild can really swallow you up.

Yes, spending two hours completing sidequests scratches that itch like where you've got a notification of an unread message on your phone. 

I am planning on heading into the depths soon as i've been a clue to some armour
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It wasn't that, even. It was the absolute mountain lf side quests and not knowing how to begin.

Not gonna lie, I googled where the thing in the depths was in terms of location, and really needed the big bump in terms of my power and so on. Feel ready to go back to it hard, but I'm also off home tomorrow from holiday so it'll also be FFXVI time baybee

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!