Zelda
  • I think they could emphasise it more than via colour, it should know if you have not enough hearts and therefore could one shot you. I mainly die because i'm blindsided by some enemy. 

Has anyone used the homing arrow? How homing does it go? Is it a guaranteed headshot?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • It's a guaranteed hit I think.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I just fused a rocket with a shield
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    I just fused a rocket with a shield

Easiest way to complete shrines
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Nah, the kids love solving them properly
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Bob wrote:
    I cannot fucking believe that when attacked by the
    Spoiler:

There’s no checkpoint after the cutscenes and conversation then hint screen then conversation before you can try again!!

Watched a video and did it second time of asking - your ai mate tells you to get in close but you don’t want to until after
    Spoiler:
    The Forum Herald™
  • This is the game which keeps on giving. I am starting to photograph everything for the compendium. Makes it a nightmare mid battle, i do feel like it should pause the game like when you're searching which item to attach to an arrow. 

Did eventide yesterday, was epic. Then went to the depths, not ready for that yet i dont think. Need some beefier weapons.
  • If anyone has finished it, what's the rough amount of hours from completing the four regions to the end credits?
    Spoiler:
  • anyone tried fusing courser bee honey to an arrow and firing it at an enemy? :D :D :D
  • Personally speaking, after 100+ hours, I'm done with this for now and I'd be going towards the end game. But I'm sharing the playthrough with the kid. I don't know how long she's going to be interested in it for. Could be a day, could be six months. So I'm going to be ticking over on it for a while. 
    I've still got quite a few shrines to clear off. About half the depths left. I'm going to have some ongoing farming chores left I'll need to do regularly to keep her in rupees and a few other materials.  

It's an amazing game. Probably one of the best ever made. I haven't got so into a game since Skyrim or Mass Effect 2. I've spent 50 minutes riding a dragon, scraping various body parts, waiting 10 mins for it to recharge, harvest another one, repeat. I never do that sort of stuff anymore. 

My attitude to it has changed quite a lot. First twenty hours, I'd say was pretty good but the weapon-breaking was a joyless ballache. Then maybe 20-50 hours was spent realising quite how much time I'd have to spend in the Depths to get the most out of the rest of it and then smashing rock. And thinking they'd fucked their masterpiece. That period was pretty bad really. Anyone that bounces off it at that time is completely justified in doing so. I like to try and score games in my head while I'm playing them and it probably reached as low as a 6. But then I hit a certain point with battery power where the Depths aren't needed and the whole game opened up completely. And it's been 50 odd hours of total amazingness. There's plenty that isn't really my sort of thing (I'm grateful I've had the kid mopping up the fetch quests and the village stuff for me) but the stuff it does well is incredible. And unlike anything I've ever played before.
  • mk64 wrote:
    anyone tried fusing courser bee honey to an arrow and firing it at an enemy? :D :D :D
    Yeah that's a good one.
  • monkey wrote:
    If anyone has finished it, what's the rough amount of hours from completing the four regions to the end credits?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • monkey wrote:
    If anyone has finished it, what's the rough amount of hours from completing the four regions to the end credits?
    Spoiler:

As Matt says...
    Spoiler:
    I finished this last night. Realised I was just pointlessly pootling about, so went for it. The final push was longer than expected, and I really should have remembered that I had a...
    Spoiler:
    ...as it would have made things easier.

I feel slightly bereft now.
  • Hmm ok. Might push on a bit then and see where I get to
  • So to clarify to complete the game you have to explore
    Spoiler:
    ??
    The Forum Herald™
  • I’m going to say this, and man I’ve been trying to hold back, but I really don’t think I like this too much.

There’s too much in here that just isn’t for me, I think they’ve overreached with the amount of content, there’s THE FUCKING DEPTHS, and I have to talk away too much jank - “because it’s Nintendo and it’s on the Switch. You have to look past that stuff..” The sky islands were fucking awful in the worst Zelda ever and they’re barely more cohesive here and then I’m expected to play 20 hours of a game in a poorly lit and geographically desolate cave? Nah, not likely.

BotW had a sweet spot of curated open play that I just about squeezed into. This? There’s just too much stuff getting in the way of too much stuff and it all feels, dunno, a little inconsequential. I can admire what they’ve created, the systems and the world and the scale but nah, I’m trying to look the other way too many times. I may come back but for now I’m leaving it behind.
  • I'll mainline the quest at some point but I'm not up for the whole shebang. I knew BotW wouldn't be my sort of Zelda but I persevered and gradually succumbed to it's charms. There's just too much going on in this one for me to fully love it, I think.

Proper dungeons and an fully overhauled combat system were my most wanted improvents. I'm not convinced the larger dungeons qualify as 'proper dungeons' here but I've only done one so far so the jury's out. I still don't particularly like the fighting though. 0.5/2 from the top of my sequel wishlist then? Coupled with the lingering disappointment of the rehashed map.

It's ridiculously good in many ways but there's too much game here for me. Nothing I've seen in the depths makes me think they're worth sinking any real time into. Can see why some would prefer it to BotW but I can't see it trumping that game for me.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I haven't booted this up in about 4 weeks. I dunno if I can be arsed again.
  • Bob wrote:
    So to clarify to complete the game you have to explore
    Spoiler:
    ??

You don’t have to but…
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Do any of you think that you started to explore the depths a little too soon?
  • I’ve barely done anything in the depths… or the sky islands tbf lol.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Do any of you think that you started to explore the depths a little too soon?

Well, you really have to don’t you? Fairly early on you get a mainline quest, so what’re you gonna do? It’s not that I find it too hard just that I find it too drab and an unpleasant place to spend my time. Perhaps this is what they were aiming for but I can’t see anyway I can happily commit enough of my time to wander around down there.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Do any of you think that you started to explore the depths a little too soon?

Well, you really have to don’t you? Fairly early on you get a mainline quest, so what’re you gonna do? It’s not that I find it too hard just that I find it too drab and an unpleasant place to spend my time. Perhaps this is what they were aiming for but I can’t see anyway I can happily commit enough of my time to wander around down there.

Yes but it’s a very short segment. I don’t think you need to go back for ages until you’re powered up enough to go equipped.
  • If that equipment makes the whole space verdant and gorgeous then I’m back in!

Honestly, I know I’m somehow in the ‘wrong’ for not getting on with this. It’s not you it’s me kinda thing. I dislike the game more when I move to less pretty places or it gets dark or it rains. Basically, if there was no weather and ToD system and the entire map was made of plains, woods, small ponds and sunshine then I’d be golden.
  • If that equipment makes the whole space verdant and gorgeous then I’m back in! Honestly, I know I’m somehow in the ‘wrong’ for not getting on with this. It’s not you it’s me kinda thing. I dislike the game more when I move to less pretty places or it gets dark or it rains. Basically, if there was no weather and ToD system and the entire map was made of plains, woods, small ponds and sunshine then I’d be golden.

I don't think you're "in the wrong".  I quite like the Depths, but can see that they're a bit of a mis-step. I think I get what they're going for - something tonally very different to the land above, or the sky - but I think they misjudged it somewhat.  By going for something so expansive, it becomes dull and repetitive. 

I kind of like the design of the place - everything down there looks suitably mycelial - but until you find a light root you can't see it anyway, and once you do, well, it's all pretty similar.  Even as someone who quite enjoyed exploring it, I was slightly dismayed when I later...
    Spoiler:
    There are a couple of things that would have helped I think. Firstly, I'd have preferred it if the Depths were smaller.  There are various places where they are very self contained, and I liked those patches more than the long periods fumbling in the darkness.  Alternatively, it might have helped if they weren't so readily accessible early on. They're much less of a hassle later in the game, but by then I'd already had my fill. I think I would have enjoyed them more if they'd either given me those tools early, or provided a few roadblocks until I was more ready - but I appreciate it goes against the freedom that the game wants to provide.

(Weirdly I was more disappointed with the sky islands, which no-one else seems to mind. Once I realised the majority of them were essentially identical, the appeal quickly wore off.)
  • I mind the sky islands too! I think the aesthetic is great but their fragmented nature just doesn’t suit the play style.
    They nailed open world Zelda first time, this adds layers of convolution which has massively watered down my experience. Hey ho, I’m glad I tried.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I feel very underequipped at all times in this game, and also quite overwhelmed with too much to do. I think I'm probably the only person who just runs everywhere too.

I also feel I'm too thick to do some side quests.

Tears of the Kingdom - most emasculating game 2023.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I feel very underequipped at all times in this game, and also quite overwhelmed with too much to do. I think I'm probably the only person who just runs everywhere too. I also feel I'm too thick to do some side quests. Tears of the Kingdom - most emasculating game 2023.

I just run (or glide) everywhere.  The kingdom is littered with my forgotten horses.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Baby Titto sits unused in the stables.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!