Society's Ills - A study in the perceived inequalities between the "haves" and the "have nots"
  • mk64 wrote:
    Less opportunity for social mobility. What does that mean to you? People keeping saying how hard it is and disability is one reason. What others?
    One example. Private schools educate 7% of the population but over half of all doctors come from private schools. A third of all MPs. 70% of all judges. 

And another - Private schools and Oxbridge admissions.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It strikes me that job in finance enabling a person to retireealrh whilst a nurse cannot is at the very core of how fucked we are as a race.
    Correct, and the idea of paying for your child's education which draws the best teachers and other resources away from comprehensive schools, further disadvantage poorer children and widening the gap. But they could just work harder.
  • Oh gosh I should never type on my iPhone, although "retireealrh!" sounds like what a redneck wud say.

n0face wrote:
    Correct, and the idea of paying for your child's education which draws the best teachers and other resources away from comprehensive schools, further disadvantage poorer children and widening the gap. But they could just work harder.

Is a salient person. Oddly, Maria's world view of 'everyone has a chance if they make their own luck' is utterly dependent on the early steps in the ladder being made up of people who are willing to sacrifice the higher tiers of wages to stay on and retain their place. If they all just fucked off and went upstream, as they are supposedly able to, we'd have no nurses that weren't private, or no teachers in state funded schools. To not play the system is the only way to give others a leg up, to step all over you essentially. They don;t get to retire early, they don't get to pay for their kids to go to private school i'm just, I can't even join the dots here as to how convoluted messy the system is.
  • monkey wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    Less opportunity for social mobility. What does that mean to you? People keeping saying how hard it is and disability is one reason. What others?
    One example. Private schools educate 7% of the population but over half of all doctors come from private schools. A third of all MPs. 70% of all judges. 

And another - Private schools and Oxbridge admissions.

Statistics like that don't explain why. Just that they do.

Brooks. I see a list of barriers but only a few which could not be overcome.

I also agree that it's fucked up that bankers earn more than nurses.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    Last I looked schooling is free and up to recently university was on loan from the government.
    mk64 wrote:
    I'm moving to finance because I'm bored of telecoms and because in order to earn what I want to retire early and pay for my kids education I need to go for jobs which will allow me to do that.

Just pulling that out 'cos I think it's interesting, there seems to be a tacit acknowledgement in there that you feel that getting an education does, in fact, require substantial financial support.  So what of the kids whose parents aren't in a position to offer that?

Bottom line, whether you "make it" comes down to a combination of luck, genetics, geography, education, effort and a whole bunch of other stuff.  A surprisingly small chunk of that is under your control.  A lot of "haves" talk about having to "play the game", but the reality is that a lot of the "have nots" have no idea how the game is played, or even that there's a game to be played.  The "game" is merely a complicated set of rules constructed by people in a position of privilege to ensure they remain in a position of privilege.  (I don't personally think this is a conscious act, I might add.)  If you're an established player, you won't see why no-one else plays it, and you probably won't comprehend how gloriously immoral much of it is.

Still, before I get too comfortable on my high horse, it's probably worth me pointing out my own massive hypocrisy.  The whole "you're all much better of than in some countries"  argument is fundamentally true.  It's something of a red herring - "it's OK to fuck you over 'cos others get even more screwed" - means nothing, but it does illustrate a wider point.  I'm sat in a position of massive privilege, and whilst I think I earn it, I also think wealth should be shared.  But whilst I'm quite content to share within my own country, I'd doubtless resist sharing world wide because I wouldn't cope with the change in lifestyle that would result.  At all.

So I'm a total hypocrite, but at least I know it.  (And would merrily support moves to gradually even it all out...)

(Edit - don't know what happened there, sorry.  I've somewhat truncated my already too long argument to try and tidy up!)
  • I see you're only playing the system, I get that. I think it is fucked up the system should exist in the way that it does, unless you believe that the system is right. This is why I don't hate you, or anything, only the space you occupy in the system. It's clear you're using it in a way to increase the quality of your life and your progeny's life, it's just that such a system exists to be exploited that's incredibly wrong to me.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nobody's saying that these barriers can't be overcome, although for the majority they never are, the issue is that they exist in the first place.
  • mk64 wrote:
    One example. Private schools educate 7% of the population but over half of all doctors come from private schools. A third of all MPs. 70% of all judges.  And another - Private schools and Oxbridge admissions.
    Statistics like that don't explain why. Just that they do.
    No statistic explains the why, just the what.
  • Sorry. I was referring to university. Jury is still out on if we send our kids to private school.

As stated I went to the worst school probably in the country and I've done ok.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Nice post yoss. That both emphasises both of our points in a way.

How far back do you have To go though where there wasn't a divide?
  • I went to one of the best schools in my region that wasn't private, certainly the best college in the area, and I ended up doing pretty shite really at work after college, because it was identified by various bosses that I was ill at ease with the structure and running of every business i've worked for, and thus I'll never get anywhere in business or managerial roles, or finance without 'selling out' or whatever. 

After a while I decided to do what I'm doing now, and so far i'm acing assignments left right and center. Some people just can't play the game, even if they see it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    As stated I went to the worst school probably in the country and I've done ok.

I think we have very different definitions of "done OK".
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Sorry. I was referring to university. Jury is still out on if we send our kids to private school. As stated I went to the worst school probably in the country and I've done ok.

All this means in the context of this argument is that one person was able to overcome the barriers. Hang on, I know what you're going to say next, that you know other people who've overcome them. How many? 10? 20? 50? I'll give you 50 as a benefit of the doubt kind of thing. What you're offering here is that of the millions of people who could be considered part of 'our' generation, 50 have been able to be upwardly mobile. That's it, it's all you're offering here.
  • What's the colour of money?
    What's the colour of money?
    Don't tell me that you think it's green,
    Me, I know it's red.
  • I recommend watching this little vid, he talks about some stuff that's relevant to this thread and others, probably. Five Minutes With: AC Grayling.

• Yossarian wrote:
    Nobody's saying that these barriers can't be overcome, although for the majority they never are, the issue is that they exist in the first place.

It's dumb to assume they can be overcome by single actors too.
  • I'm not hard up or anything but still not in the bracket where private school is an option for any future children. But if I could afford it when the time comes, I'd send them there without any hesitation. 

The state school I went to was terrible. Having the audacity to engage with your studies, doing your homework, asking a question in class, all of this was taken as direct provocation to have the shit kicked out of you. 

Although there were plenty of societal issues behind this, the rich can't be blamed for the whole thing.
  • One of several reasons why I've avoided producing kids is that I'd struggle to locate any formal education scheme I thought was suitable, and they'd probably suffer for my convictions.
  • Tinbot's a good poster.
  • Tin Robot is in the top percent of posters, yes.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Only because his parents were.
  • Yes he is a rich cunt, down with TROBOT

edit: ps thanx for all the doctoring and stuff
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Rich in quality posts. BURN HIM.
  • He will be first against the wall when the spinningdog.gif revolution comes.

TAKE A SIDE.
  • Redistribute his wisdom to those with none.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hmm, I can't think of anyone...

/jk
  • Though really, having kids seems like a really quick way to narrow your ability to care for and invest energy in the interests of anyone beyond your unit.
  • I don't think I ever want them.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Though really, having kids seems like a really quick way to narrow your ability to care for and invest energy in the interests of anyone beyond your unit.

This is very true, it's incredible how quickly your priorities turn inwards.

Also, please don't burn me in the revolution, you can have my posts, all of them.  Even the self indulgent ones where I go on about my kids...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Psst, Robot, give all of your posts to me and I'll make sure you'll be safe in the revolution. But let's just keep in between us, m'kay?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!