Society's Ills - A study in the perceived inequalities between the "haves" and the "have nots"
  • I've done my bit - I have a registered DNR. I'll be dead by 65, with any luck.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • An interesting concept will be the imminent transmission of wealth from boomers to the 30 year olds. Likely huge tax take by HMRC and glut of houses which will need to be sold due to 2.4 kids.
  • One of the issues with extended lifespans is that properties are sold to fund nursing home fees which rapidly erode inheritance. So instead of the money going to the taxman or into the hands of first time buyers it goes to companies who profiteer off nursing homes, who are probably foreign owned and/or don't bother paying taxes.

Asian families do it right. They keep money in the family and share the responsibility of looking after their elderly without putting them in homes.
  • Yeah I think the peculiarly Anglo thing of yearning for discreet nuclear familyhood is going to wrap up pretty quickly. Which will suck if your extended clan is full of shitpeople.
  • Do like Laing said and live in a mental commune, LSD optional
  • One of the issues with extended lifespans is that properties are sold to fund nursing home fees which rapidly erode inheritance. So instead of the money going to the taxman or into the hands of first time buyers it goes to companies who profiteer off nursing homes …

Yep. We’ve spent the last few years getting into the business of designing residential care homes and day care centres. Follow the money if you want to stay in profit.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    An interesting concept will be the imminent transmission of wealth from boomers to the 30 year olds. Likely huge tax take by HMRC and glut of houses which will need to be sold due to 2.4 kids.

Quite glad my rung on the ladder happened in my 20's. Unnaturally it's a cash cow to the sibs offspring because I don't need it and also there's a lone maternal parent, a side that proved to have at least another fifteen years in them than she is old.

"Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Records and books for burning lads
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    There aren't apparently enough people who don't get fucking worse as they age.

I was surprised to hear that Gove's missus turned 50 recently. Gen X with views from the Fifties.
  • So John McDonnell says everyone earning over £70k a year is rich.

There has been some back and forth on this elsewhere, but i'm interested in the B&B take tbh. Back in '07/08 earning 70k in London put you in the top ten percentile of earners. Obviously it doesn't take into account inhereited wealth, property or investments, but what do you think, rich or not? As I am a pleb in the dirt, I believe it is rich, and comparing it to the earnings of the mega-wealthy and feeling short is a stupid way to look at it, but over on the social meedjaa there are people saying it's not even enough to live 'comfortably'.
  • The answer is yes you are. It puts you in the top 5% of earners.

If you're struggling to get by on 70k, you need to reassess your life.
  • These articles where people go on about how both parents earn over £50k and they still can't get by usually come down to them having a 5 bedroom house and 3 kids in private school.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Essentially yes, but the biggest driver of inequality is wealth rather than earnings. I'm less concerned with those people earning over 70K than I am those who start in life with huge amounts of capital behind them.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It is ten times more than I get, but it's well-off, not rich. In terms of taxation taper, I agree that it should be towards the thicker end. But only when that taper reaches all the way to the banks and corps.

Right enough, I've seen a lot of people complaining that it's four grand per month and they spend half of that on a mortgage. Either they're in London, in which case a dispensation should be sorted out, or that's a really nice house and they've made their four-plus beds.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    These articles where people go on about how both parents earn over £50k and they still can't get by usually come down to them having a 5 bedroom house and 3 kids in private school.

TBF, a combined income of 100K in London probably won't even stretch to a two bedroom house.
  • Escape wrote:
    It is ten times more than I get, but it's well-off, not rich. In terms of taxation taper, I agree that it should be towards the thicker end. But only when that taper reaches all the way to the banks and corps.

No, it's definitely rich.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Failure of semantics, I think. I agree with you that it's rich in comparison to what I have, but if you start calling these Seventies rich then you've no more words to describe millionaires and up.

Er, besides millionaires.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    This is what I've always warned about Hoodism: millions demand it until its light catches them.

It's a very bold move that's banking on the poor and dispossessed turning out in unexpectedly high numbers.
  • It's rich in comparison to the majority of people, not just you. Millionaires are are an even slimmer percentage, but just because you have a net worth of millions doesn't mean your income is in that. As Yoss said it's the difference between earnings and wealth.

But for those that are in that bracket, either millionaires or super rich will do.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Escape wrote:

No, it's definitely rich.

I wouldn't say rich at all. They are well off and comfortable, but not rich.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    super rich will do.

Monties.
  • Where do you draw the rich line then? Top 4%? 3? 2? 1?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    We all know what it is: the outliers have screwed the chart to such an extent that the rich don't consider themselves rich in view of the gulf.

A haircut would better show the delineations between these lower divisions.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I suppose things also depend a bit on personal circumstances too. I wouldn't consider a couple trying to raise a family on 35K each to be rich, but a couple where one person earns 70K while the other stays at home to look after the kids will probably be taking home less.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I think the other problem is that benig poor gives you a disdain for money, so no matter how much you have it will get spent

At least that's my experience, I am still skint at the end of every month, and realistically I've no reason to be. My disposable income the last three years is higher than it's ever been, but I guess maybe I take the word disposable a little too literally. But I don't think I'm alone, many people I know seem to live month to month, no matter what they earn, at least until. parenthood happens. Though for some even beyond that due to circumstances
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I consider myself well-off because I pay all my bills and debts and I buy food etc and then I still have a few quid left at the end of the month.

This is in stark contrast to even just a couple of years ago, when the end of each month had me on a knife edge between breaking even or my debts growing.

So I guess I think that disposable income is the metric that matters.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yes and no, 'cause you can have a mighty house by choice and not much copperage.

I have a bit of disposable because my rent's £85 per week.
  • The trouble with the question "Is 70k rich?" is that you are really asking "define rich".

Rich to me is not having to work, super cars and gold chintz everywhere. Probably has at least million in cash.

70k is well off. Upper end of Proffesional, but still having to go to work.
  • It's definitely a contentious point, given the connotations of the word rich. I have found it interesting that when my cousin asked for her london pals to weigh in on it, most of them decided that £70k wasn't even enough to be comfortable. One said that because of the pressure of work to earn that much, having a mortgage and so on, they'd be more likely to get ill from stress related reasons, and another said that after 30 years of work on that wage it'd leave them with only a 25kp/a pension. Which begs the question, if only the 10th percentile earn that much, will these people ever be happy?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    only a 25kp/a pension.

Presumably with a property, though?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!