Society's Ills - A study in the perceived inequalities between the "haves" and the "have nots"
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Market forces are still market forces and supply and demand will surely set prices. The benefit cap hasn't dented the London rental market, for instance, meanwhile in towns with an oversupply of housing, who is going to risk charging the maximum benefits will allow and potentially end up with an empty property?

Because people will drop onto benefits to make sure they have a roof

I found it very difficult to come off benefits years ago for this very reason, I had to stop paying rent and squat in my council flat for two months until I got paid a couple of times so I could afford a deposit on a room in a shared house. So on benefits I had a spacious one bed flat, when working I had a room in a shared house, and about the same amount of money left in my pocket each week, probably a little less actually
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    So Housing Benefit gets payed directly to the landlord? I didn’t know that. I claimed it for a while back in ’99 and in those days it came to me, not my landlord.

You get to choose, but associations will pressure you to have it paid directly to them. The original idea was to protect those that struggle with paying bills, making sure that the 'most important' bill was always paid
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I wouldn't consider someone who earns 70k to be rich. Rich to me implies being wealthy independently of what you earn, i.e. owning land and having assets.
    I hear a lot of talk lately of people considering themselves 'middle class', to me being middle class means being independently well off. i.e. not rich per se but being able to go off on a sabbatical from work and not worrying about your mortgage payments for at least 6 months.
    If you lost your job tomorrow and could only pay your mortgage for, say, the next 2 months you are IMO working class. Again, the way I see it, if you HAVE to work to maintain what you have right now = working class.

I and literally nearly every single person I know are working class, I know/have friendly connections with a rich dynastic family and they are far, far beyond the 70k a year 'theshold' that is being bandied around. Classing these people and those who earn 70k a year in the same 'rich' bracket is not realistic.

I realise it's all relative, i.e. there's those here on the forum that don't earn much per annum, I am one of them, and to these people 40k per year appears rich.
    But 70k in London is not a lot of money, it would be elsewhere in the country but it can never be under emphasised just how expensive and hard it is to find a home here, even if you have the money. You have to experience it to really appreciate it.

I was going to segue into this but I've lost my train of thought but there's a interesting opinion piece on the Guardian site today about the good old baby boomers, they've been taking a lot of slack lately and rightly so. Not all of them of course are actively sticking the boot in but their generation still holds a lot of the reins of power and are still maybe unwittingly profiting from that power while at the same time making things considerably harder for those younger than them, especially the millennials.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/21/generation-spite-kids-scapegoat-young-people

Anyway it got me looking up my gen, Gen X on wikipedia and it really shocked me because the wiki article went into depth describing the attitudes and 'typical' thinking of your standard Gen X'er during key decades of their life, and it described me and my attitudes throughout those years to a fucking T.
    It was really eye opening and drove home just how it's possible to pigeonhole people and their attitudes based on the couple of decades in which you were born (caveat #NotAll etc...). 
    Attitudes that can be seen in the comments section in that Guardian article.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I think people bringing in household income is confusing things. This isn't relevant. The discussion began with income tax. So if you personally earn 70k.

The people that early 70k up are the top 5% of earners in this country. For context, top 1% is 162k. Those raking in millions a year are the tiniest, tiniest proportion of the country.
  • My mate Rich is quite poor, what do we make of that?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I think people bringing in household income is confusing things. This isn't relevant. The discussion began with income tax. So if you personally earn 70k. The people that early 70k up are the top 5% of earners in this country. For context, top 1% is 162k. Those raking in millions a year are the tiniest, tiniest proportion of the country.

You say that, but it implies that around three people from my year at at school earn >£162k

That's madness, my school was shit
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You're forgetting that 7% of the population went to public school and that 7% probably make up 90% of the 1%.
  • No cocko it doesn't.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahahaha, irrationally those numbers are really annoying me. I know exactly what you meant but my brain is trying to work out how 1% of the population can also be 7.7r% of the same. I hate my mind
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBF, it should probably say: that people from the 7% make up...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I nkow just it was numbers so my brain started to do the sums before I'd finished reading it, was left a confused mess
  • I've no idea what that means I'm afraid.

The 50% mark by the way is £22,400, and 75% is £34,500. 90% is 51,400 for further context. 95% is actually 71,700 so it is ever so slightly below the top 5% figure, but it's certainly nearer to top 5% than top 6%
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Is that the median percentile gaps in earnings?

So many places don't differentiate between median and mean. It shows how much the top earners are on in that case then, being as I thought the average wage was £27k. If 50% of people are on £22k, the £27k figure must be the mean, so the difference between the two shows you how far it's weighted to either side
  • This table gives certain percentile points of the income distribution as estimated from the Survey of Personal Incomes for each survey year shown. The table only covers individuals who have some liability to income tax. The percentile points have been independently calculated on total income before tax and total income after tax.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That makes sense, but wowsers, that's over 20% difference, that's pretty huge
  • The shocking thing is that 22k gets you into the top 50%.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I think that's the point. People don't think about how little most people earn, especially if you earn a fair whack yourself. Your social circle tends to be made of people earning roughly the same, so you don't think of yourself as particularly rich or particularly poor, unless you're one of the people who needs food banks to survive, because you make about the same as everyone else.
  • I've no idea what that means I'm afraid. The 50% mark by the way is £22,400, and 75% is £34,500. 90% is 51,400 for further context. 95% is actually 71,700 so it is ever so slightly below the top 5% figure, but it's certainly nearer to top 5% than top 6%

Are these from the same figures I am quoting btw? Just out of interest
  • Don't know. Mine is from HMRC.
  • They're more up to date, cool
  • Stats based on just those with taxable income of course.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Stats based on just those with taxable income of course.

Seems fairly relevant to a debate on income tax.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Totally relevant, but those who pay themselves dividends from their business or are on benefits are excluded from that list, so WorKid's query carries some weight, there are a lot of people who aren't on those numbers, at both ends of the scale
  • Well yes, but they aren't going the be affected by changing income tax are they?
  • This is the quote that kicked all this off:
    Mr McDonnell said: “We will be looking to see how we ensure a fair taxation system and, to be frank, what we’ll be doing is we’ll be looking to the corporations and the rich to pay their share.

“You look at what’s happening in this country at the moment and you see that the burden in terms of the tax take has fallen on middle and low earners … below the higher tax bands.”

Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, he added: “We believe we are talking about the rich, will be above 70,000 to 80,000 a year, and that’s roughly defined as what people feel is an earning, whereby people feel they can pay more.”
  • Asked whether he felt rich, he said "I earn more than most in my constituency and I am grateful for that" or something. Sure a shit didn't say he felt rich.
  • Global corp tax is where it's at. All this other shit is irrelevant.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!