Society's Ills - A study in the perceived inequalities between the "haves" and the "have nots"
  • Tempy wrote:
    Which begs the question, if only the 10th percentile earn that much, will these people ever be happy?

No, of course not.

In financial terms, I genuinely reckon that happiness is tied to disposable income – which is a factor of earnings vs expenses caused by your life choices.

We’ve all been brought up in a predominantly capitalist culture which is based on aspiration – or living above your means. It’s the base reason that most people are less than 100% happy.
  • @escape re: property Yes, you'd assume so. I think the prospect and flaunting of the mega-rich has hoodwinked a lot of people, and the property market is also a big factor in not feeling rich. Ignoring the fact you will earn after tax more in a month than many will earn in half a year, how can you be confortable unless you're able to build your own house on Grand Designs?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    It's definitely a contentious point, given the connotations of the word rich. I have found it interesting that when my cousin asked for her london pals to weigh in on it, most of them decided that £70k wasn't even enough to be comfortable. One said that because of the pressure of work to earn that much, having a mortgage and so on, they'd be more likely to get ill from stress related reasons, and another said that after 30 years of work on that wage it'd leave them with only a 25kp/a pension. Which begs the question, if only the 10th percentile earn that much, will these people ever be happy?

London is a shit, it really is. I'm lucky enough to have found a room now, but a 37 year old man sharing a bathroom and kitchen seems quite the stepdown. The alternative is to pay >50% of my takehome on rent, which is a ridiculous state of affairs. Well ok not totally ridiculous, but considering the situation that these wages would put me in most other cities in the UK

It's economically viable (even with our massively overpriced rail system) to live 120 miles away in the Midlands and commute to work. That's a crazy situation, utterly ridiculous
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    more likely to get ill from stress related reasons

But surely a universal reduction in living costs is paramount here? Not more money for the few at the expense — via them sustaining unaffordable living — of the many.
  • I would consider myself well off but I also don't have children (except myself).

25k pension is decent in the context of zero mortgage but potentially terrifying in the context of needing to rent in London I suspect.

But also presumably @ old the desire and need for toys and shit is diminished?!

So: it's all fucking complicated.
  • poprock wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Which begs the question, if only the 10th percentile earn that much, will these people ever be happy?

No, of course not.

In financial terms, I genuinely reckon that happiness is tied to disposable income – which is a factor of earnings vs expenses caused by your life choices.

We’ve all been brought up in a predominantly capitalist culture which is based on aspiration – or living above your means. It’s the base reason that most people are less than 100% happy.

It's a damn shame.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Yes, you'd assume so. I think the prospect and flaunting of the mega-rich has hoodwinked a lot of people, and the property market is also a big factor in not feeling rich. Ignoring the fact you will earn after tax more in a month than many will earn in half a year, how can you be confortable unless you're able to build your own house on Grand Designs?

70k is around £4k a month, who are the many that don't earn that in six months?

And who is stitching them up, I'm pretty certain that the dole would get you more than that in six months

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    It's economically viable (even with our massively overpriced rail system) to live 120 miles away in the Midlands and commute to work. That's a crazy situation, utterly ridiculous
    I know a few peeps who live Coventry, Leam Spa, Warwick etc that commute to London every day - plenty from Leicestershire where I'm at as well.

70k is plenty to start chipping in more to help out those less well off.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    I'm pretty certain that the dole would get you more than that in six months

Not these days.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    @escape re: property Yes, you'd assume so. I think the prospect and flaunting of the mega-rich has hoodwinked a lot of people, and the property market is also a big factor in not feeling rich. Ignoring the fact you will earn after tax more in a month than many will earn in half a year, how can you be confortable unless you're able to build your own house on Grand Designs?

Forget building a house, affording one is out of the reach of the vast majority in London.
    25k pension is decent in the context of zero mortgage but potentially terrifying in the context of needing to rent in London I suspect.
    FWIW, housing benefit should still be a thing for pensioners.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm not a pensioner.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    Not these days.

Even when you factor in Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, free dental care and prescriptions?

I know the last two should be free for everyone, but the bottom line of saying the Dole is £64.50 a week (or whatever it is nowadays) looks small to people who work so they don't feel that they are subsiding the poor, yet in reality many folk have to feed and clothe themselves for less than that a week

I'm not saying the dole is too high, before I'm accused of taking the crusts from the mouths of the needy
  • I wonder if for a lot of people in the future fuel will be the biggest expense over a place to stay.

(Obviously this is true for mortgage completers)
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Yes, you'd assume so. I think the prospect and flaunting of the mega-rich has hoodwinked a lot of people, and the property market is also a big factor in not feeling rich. Ignoring the fact you will earn after tax more in a month than many will earn in half a year, how can you be confortable unless you're able to build your own house on Grand Designs?

70k is around £4k a month, who are the many that don't earn that in six months?

And who is stitching them up, I'm pretty certain that the dole would get you more than that in six months

Well dante was barely on any more than that. When i first started working at The Tech Guys I was on £10.5k before tax and NI.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The wife and I have combined income of about £70k.  We have three kids and a mortgage that means we barely make ends meet each month.  Obviously part of that's our choice (we live in a nice bit of London, yaddah yaddah), but I don't view myself as rich given I've had to give up buying computer games.

Not that we aspire to "be rich", but I guess the flipside is that our hope is that's short-lived.  If our salaries tick up, when the girls grow up and leave home, we'll be sat on a retirement nest-egg etc.  

So yeah, all very hard to define. Despite the month-by-month pinch we're currently feeling, I guess I average the above to mean "reasonably well off" overall.  No supercars here.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Also, @Yossarian, most housing associations now demand direct payment of Local Housing Allowance.

Finding somewhere to rent when you're in receipt of benefits is already exceptionally hard, so you'd be removing a lifeline from thousands if you scrapped LHA.

cockbeard wrote:
    Escape wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    Not these days.

Even when you factor in Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, free dental care and prescriptions?

If you've no kids and can't get ESA, top-rate JSA's £1900 over six months. But it's not easy to stay on it for that long without a workfare requirement, and ESA claimants are reviewed every few months at present. LHA in my region goes up to around £100 per week, and that's about the average. Automatically paid-for prescriptions are a thing of the past unless you're a pensioner, but some ESA claimants can fill in a form to reclaim their examination costs.

So in the South West, LHA and JSA over six months is about £4500.
  • I don't feel rich.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I understand that upkeep on a stately home is expensive.
  • S'all subjective right? Some people are so poor, all they have is money.
  • £70k ain't rich but it's (outside London) very comfortable. You will feel the pinch when trying to live a rich persons life on that income - big house, nice car, expensive foreign holidays and private school fees. Inside London, it probably feels about normal and I doubt there's much give in your finances.

It's all relative though innit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Inside London, it probably feels about normal.

Normal as in equivalent to an average salary outside London?
  • Normal as in your house isn't a box in a shit part of town, you can cover all your expenses, have some savings and you don't feel stretched. It 'feels' normal. I'm only guessing though.
    Although I'm talking more about household income here. A couple earning 70k each is different.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I follow.

But yes, housing in London is such a mess that 70K household income isn't going to cover much.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Also, @Yossarian, most housing associations now demand direct payment of Local Housing Allowance. Finding somewhere to rent when you're in receipt of benefits is already exceptionally hard, so you'd be removing a lifeline from thousands if you scrapped LHA.
    cockbeard wrote:
    Escape wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    Not these days.
    If you've no kids and can't get ESA, top-rate JSA's £1900 over six months. But it's not easy to stay on it for that long without a workfare requirement, and ESA claimants are reviewed every few months at present. LHA in my region goes up to around £100 per week, and that's about the average. Automatically paid-for prescriptions are a thing of the past unless you're a pensioner, but some ESA claimants can fill in a form to reclaim their examination costs. So in the South West, LHA and JSA over six months is about £4500.

Wowsers, that kinda surprises me, though at the same time I don't really 'feel' much better off now than I did when on the rock 'n' roll, but I guess we adapt to our surroundings pretty quickly

I'm unfortunately not surprised that the average allowance of £100 is also the highest one allowed, nor that housing associations demand direct payment. It's little to do with people not paying their rent, and as much about how Housing Benefit skews the market in the favour of landlords/housing associations being able to set a false minimum rent based not on what the upkeep/maintenance/costs of a property but on what they can get straight from the council
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I follow. But yes, housing in London is such a mess that 70K household income isn't going to cover much.

Yes it is, in a mess that is, not yes it's going to cover everything
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cocko wrote:
    Housing Benefit skews the market in the favour of landlords/housing associations being able to set a false minimum rent based not on what the upkeep/maintenance/costs of a property but on what they can get straight from the council

This isn't the first time that you've claimed this. Do you have any evidence at all that it's true?
  • It is kinda obvious.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Cocko wrote:
    Housing Benefit skews the market in the favour of landlords/housing associations being able to set a false minimum rent based not on what the upkeep/maintenance/costs of a property but on what they can get straight from the council
    This isn't the first time that you've claimed this. Do you have any evidence at all that it's true?

FFS

I'm not saying don't help people to fund housing

I'm saying by paying direct to the landlord they get to price rig. By paying the amount direct to the claimant you create a competitive market where rents have to adjust accordingly to market conditions

Yes you run the risk of people not paying their rent, but those people need different help in the form of education and training in independent living anyway

If you can't see how our current system of HB creates a cartel (which in many places prices working folk out of the market) then I don't know what to say, either you're being contrary or have a big blind spot, because I know you're more than intelligent enough to get there
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Market forces are still market forces and supply and demand will surely set prices. The benefit cap hasn't dented the London rental market, for instance, meanwhile in towns with an oversupply of housing, who is going to risk charging the maximum benefits will allow and potentially end up with an empty property?

Edit: that was at Griff.

I can see the argument about paying direct to Landlords, although it would take pretty shitty deal making on the part of any council that would allow this to happen.
  • So Housing Benefit gets payed directly to the landlord? I didn’t know that. I claimed it for a while back in ’99 and in those days it came to me, not my landlord.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!