A thread for the pets
  • nick_md wrote:
    I'm caught in two minds at the moment, there seems to be as many opinions that they're cruel as fine. It's getting to be a real issue though atm because the missus spent near a grand on a vintage leather sofa and was in tears the other day because of a scuff mark one of them left. We've since confined them upstairs but I don't think that's a long term solution. I'd like them to be able to roam the house freely and explore so need an option. Scratching posts are all well and good but it's not scratching which is actually causing any problems, it's the natural claw-dig from jumping off stuff or just even walking and gripping.
    Leather sofa and cats isn't a good combination for sure. Perhaps you need to cover the sofa rather than the cats' claws.
  • JonB wrote:
    Perhaps you need to cover the sofa rather than the cats' claws.

Aye that was my suggestion but it's not really flying atm.
  • Yeah I would suggest a throw or something. The cats will calm down as they get older and be less likely to damage it.

I would never agree with full declawing but is it possible to get them filed down by a vet or groomer? May not be possible as kittens still.
  • Put a scratching post beside the sofa.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Cats are actually fast learners. When I had a cat my ex was majorly allergic to it's hair. Consequently he wasn't allowed on any furniture or bedding. Didn't take him long to come to terms with this, but then again, he wasn't a kitten.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Your ex wasn't allowed on the furniture?
  • Heh
  • Thanks for the tips guys but again it's not a scratching problem as such, they aren't scratching the furniture, it's more the general damage caused by the little tykes tearing around.

Maybe I should burn all the furniture.
  • Nick, a couple of my friends put soft claws on their cats. It has caused no issues, I don't see where the cruelty aspect is. The cats get so used to it, after a while they'll happily sit at peace while they're applied.

It also makes the cats look like they've got painted nails. That's a plus or a minus, depending on your point of view.
  • Hah, was looking at the clear natural ones tbh :)

Good to hear that there were no issues - any other points of note? Were they (the friends) happy with the results?
  • Yup, they've been using them for years now. You have to keep an eye, because they naturally degrade / fall off, so there is still the very occasional scratch, but nothing much.
  • Great, that's quite reassuring, thanks.
  • I think that's part of the reason they use shocking pink ones; it's easier to spot when one's come off.
  • ah, makes sense.
  • Citrus fruit is another option - they don't like it. Put orange or lemon peel on the sofa until they get the message.

Not guaranteed, but we have had some success with it in our house.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    A PUPPER IS COMING TO PLAY IN OUR GARDEN ON SATURDAY THIS IS NOT A DRILL
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Bless wee Cooper! Not my dog (I wish) but I was walking through Glasgow Central this evening and met this lil' floof 8hilKeN.jpg WHY DIDN'T I STEAL HIM FS
    Think that's the same one as my mother in law has. So much softness.

We're looking after a husky for a weekend in two weeks, will be quite nice to take her for walks. 
    There was an incident a couple of weeks ago though, the dog's from a colleague of B. He was at a family barbecue and had his dog with him. His aunt, who was hosting, had a very small dog. They kept them apart from each other, but in some way the husky managed to get to the smaller one and started to play by picking the small dog up by his neck and shaking her head around. Small dog didn't survive that. It was definitely play according to B his colleague, but his family of course wasn't happy, and were saying he had to put the dog to sleep. He doesn't want to as it wasn't an aggressive act, but still felt slightly weird to be around his dog for a while. 
    B says we should still be fine when looking after her, as it isn't in a husky's nature at all to act like this, but still.
  • As the others have said they don't sound too bad those claw things. 
    The cats will calm down bit it will be a year or so! But they will always have random made 5 minute episodes of utter balls to the wall madness. 
    A certain level of furniture/house damage is to be expected with cats or dogs.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • regmcfly wrote:
    A PUPPER IS COMING TO PLAY IN OUR GARDEN ON SATURDAY THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Do a walk of the garden and check all potential escape routes. Might be worth having a quick Google of any plants you may to see if they are poisonous to dogs.

Have fun mainly.
  • Daffodils are the main offender. Seriously toxic for dogs and very common in UK gardens. Worth knowing!
  • Also Yucca plants, although Clayton has had a good munch and has been OK.
  • Nick, one thing you need to bear in mind is that right now they have little claws, when they grow up they have big claws, I haven't looked at soft claws for Jones but for future check if they do big sizes out something.

Maine Coons are supposed to be pretty clever though. Mine didn't scratch anything but his scratching posts once he knew that was where to go and only occasionally when his claws get long will he have a go at the carpet but if you keep the claws trimmed he's okay.

Have they been neutered yet? They will chill out after that happens as well.

Your missus might want to start accepting the fact that some of your furniture is going to get damaged though. Even without claws an 8kg+ cat in full on playtime mentallnes mode is capable of doing some damage. I have wood flooring and mine can't stop for shit on it with his furry paws and so whenever he's chasing things he's bouncing off furniture, walls, whatever else us in the way.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Achievement unlocked: FIRST TIME OUTDOORS.

2ykma7d.jpg
  • :D
  • That coat is ridiculously cool and foppish.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Proud stance, there. Clearly claiming the lands as far as he can see. Which isn’t far yet, he’s only wee.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!