A thread for the pets
  • So the RSPCA aren't going to do anything about it.
    I guess they leave it until the dog mauls a kid.
  • Maybe should've went straight to the cops. Think the rspca will take action if there's evidence of cruelty or neglect, police should step in if it's a dangerous dog.
  • Aye, I'd talk to the coppers about it.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • They did say I could contact the police but fell short of suggesting I do.

I would have thought it would be at least worth sending someone round to assess the situation. The police won't bother if no damage has been done.
    I guess we just wait until a kid gets mauled.
  • What a rubbish response. That must be frustrating, but at least you tried. Was definitely the right thing to do.
  • Yeah, I'm not going to walk him that way anymore, which is annoying as it is unavoidable for my usual route.

Took him a different way last night, he doesn't care but it is more boring for me.
    Bumped into a nice couple with their dog, let the dogs have a sniff etc, I really needed that to restore my confidence in other people and their dogs.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Have they at least acknowledged that a dog matching a certain description at a certain address has been reported as attacking another dog

Because if it does attack a kid at some point, the press will be interested to know that the RSPCA decided to take no action, sometimes these firms need actual motivation, fucking ridiculous. You totally did the right thing in reporting it btw
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Still contemplating popping into the police station.
    I did it all through email with the RSPCA so I have a record even if they don't.

I can accept that it may be more of a police matter but was hoping they would be more forthcoming with forwarding it on themselves or actually telling me to report it.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    one was a cross of American pitbull and some other walking set of jaws.

I used to have a staff x American pitbull cross, lovely animal, docile as fuck, loyal and super friendly to everyone. Never raised a tooth in anger. Also had a toy poodle who was the complete opposite, most snappy little shit you could imagine. Appearances eh?

@Liv If you feel the dog may be being abused and could be a danger then you've every right to raise it to authorities.
  • That is where it is difficult, the RSPCA were asking me similar things.
    Truth is I don't know as I have never seen the dog with the owners. I have a feeling it may have been scared rather than a dog that would be regularly aggressive. However if they keep allowing it to escape into the street (which appears to be happening) then it could lead to an incident.

I think what I was hoping for was someone to go round there, give them a talking to and ensure they are taking measures to secure their property. Which I guess is probably a Police matter now I type it.
  • At this level, it's not for the Police, it's for the local dog warden. They have the power to impose orders on  the owner, such as not allowing the dog to be out unless on a leash and muzzled. Failure to comply can result in the dog being taken away from the owners.
  • Dog Warden is usually a local Council department, I think. Try looking them up that way.
  • Cheers Andy. I did think I should ask yourself.
    The RSPCA gave me a link.

I hope it's not the council as they are fucking useless.
  • Cooper had his first trip to the vet’s this morning. Clean bill of health, second set of jags, and weighed in at three kilos (he was only just over one kilo when we brought him home!)

Met some other dogs in the waiting room, all huge – a GSD, a newfie, a dalmatian and a black lab. Wasn’t bothered at all.

Job’s a good ’un. He’s zonked out now.

nvo487.jpg
  • Good stuff. They grow so fast it is ridiculous, around that time I could see the difference in Clay on a day to day basis.
  • Cooper’s thick fuzzy fur hides his true shape and size quite a bit. It can be hard to tell how much is fur growth vs how much is weight/size gain. Good to know he’s definitely packing on the pounds now though.

Also funny how strangers clock straight away that he’s a spaniel despite him being only half spaniel, if you know what I mean. I guess his muzzle is getting longer and he’s getting easier to identify.
  • Bless wee Cooper!

Not my dog (I wish) but I was walking through Glasgow Central this evening and met this lil' floof

8hilKeN.jpg

WHY DIDN'T I STEAL HIM FS
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Cos theft is only legal for billionaires Gav
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I find it hard to resists 'cuddle wrestling' with dogs like that.  Would have been awkward as fuck with it up there in that harness but I would have persevered.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Bless wee Cooper! Not my dog (I wish) but I was walking through Glasgow Central this evening and met this lil' floof 8hilKeN.jpg WHY DIDN'T I STEAL HIM FS

WHO THE HELL IS THAT? YOU ARE LOOKING UP AT HIM

That dog is probably full size husky
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Gav summons people to his seat in the trainstation.

"Bring the wolf pupper!"
  • Missus is not really enjoying the cats' natural destructive mentality currently, causing a fair bit of stress for her which means my ears take a battering; has anyone had any experience of using soft claws? I'm looking for a humane solution that won't stress either cats or missus and the soft claws seem to be recommended by vets and owners alike - ?
  • nick_md wrote:
    Missus is not really enjoying the cats' natural destructive mentality currently, causing a fair bit of stress for her which means my ears take a battering; has anyone had any experience of using soft claws? I'm looking for a humane solution that won't stress either cats or missus and the soft claws seem to be recommended by vets and owners alike - ?
    erm whut!?
    What kind of destruction and what are soft claws?

IME cats dont cause as much destruction as dogs.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Soft claws appear to be little things you can attach to the claws themselves. Indications are that it's humane but I'm not fully convinced as a cat needs to be able to scratch, no?

The destruction isn't intentional, it's running around and jumping off things like leather sofa / chairs leaving claw marks.
  • My mrs was the same when we got tibbs (she'd never had a cat before).

I've never used soft claws (i never would either, but im not judging, sounds a lot better than having them declawed), i imagine it'll be a barrel of laughs trying to put them on. If you are gonna go down that route you'd be best getting them used to it now, fuck trying to attach them to two fully grown maine coons!

Eventually, mrs bawjaws just accepted it as part of having a cat.

• In a similar vein, Mrs Poprock has never had a dog before. The one thing she can’t handle (so far) is the occasional trick Cooper has of eating his own poo. That really upset her, but yesterday I managed to get the vet to explain that it’s 100% normal puppy behaviour. He can’t help his instinct that it smells tasty. All we can do is distract him and clean the shit up before he has chance to return to the scene of the crime and think about chowing down.

On a more pleasant note, teething’s fun isn’t it? My hands and wrists are covered in cuts and bite marks. As one of my pals said “people forget that puppies are really just furry little crocodiles”.
  • I'm caught in two minds at the moment, there seems to be as many opinions that they're cruel as fine. It's getting to be a real issue though atm because the missus spent near a grand on a vintage leather sofa and was in tears the other day because of a scuff mark one of them left. We've since confined them upstairs but I don't think that's a long term solution.

I'd like them to be able to roam the house freely and explore so need an option. Scratching posts are all well and good but it's not scratching which is actually causing any problems, it's the natural claw-dig from jumping off stuff or just even walking and gripping.
  • They aren't eating their shit though, so there is that.
  • nick_md wrote:
    They aren't eating their shit though, so there is that.

Knew I could make you feel better about things.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!