Resident Evil
  • hmmmm wrote:
    I dunno, the graphics were amazing at the time and hold up well but I killed that same guy four hundred and twelve times..

There aren't really all that many different zombies in the RE2 hd remaster tbh
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Resi 4 is getting a remake.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/resident-evil-4-remake/

Yeh, its nuts. Remaking a classic masterpiece like that. Well lets see what they produce.

I guess @vere will be bouncing off the walls somewhere at this news.

Damn right I am! Though I can easily see why people don’t think it’s necessary I’ll be more than happy to play it and very likely love every second of it...for the millionth time. The original is one of my most played games of all time and I’ve had it on 5 different platforms but will get again. Will be interesting to see the jump it has considering it’ll be next gen too.

I admit I’d rather see a Dino Crisis Remake, but I’d never say no to more RE4. Let’s hope Capcom come out and make it official.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd hope they do something different with RE4, shake it up a bit. Much as I loved it, I won't pay for a shinier version of the same game.
  • It's not one they can obviously update like the PS1 games. I feel like a lot of people were hoping for a proper remake of 2 and even 3 to a lesser extent, but I've not seen anyone ask for the same with 4, probably because it just doesn't feel like it needs it (and it's still available on every current platform).

Also, 4 is much bigger than 2 or 3, so you'd think it would need a lot longer in development. TBH I wouldn't mind if they trimmed it a bit, as it did drag on, but they chopped a bit too much from 3, so it doesn't bode well.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can't improve on Wii-fection.
  • Re4 vr remake, now with dragon punch and roundhouse combos. Don't punch your furniture!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I'd rather 8 personally.

Remakes are all good so long as they don't get in the way of new releases.

It's been a while since 7 and this will be the 3rd remake since that.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    8 is due this year I think. Or maybe next. But definitely on the way.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    From reports it was actually Revelations 3 but then tested well so now it's a numbered one. I believe it's 2021.
  • I still think they should do a Dino remake, a reboot of that series. Code Veronica would be a nice candidate as well. 4 will happen anyways as that one will sell like hotcakes.
  • I just realised Jill can do 1 hit execution insta headshots once you master the dodge timing. The game becomes a lot easier that way.
  • As mentioned I would live a Dino Crisis remake.
    Unfortunately I think Capcom are probably going the commercial route and remaking what is most well known.
    Same thing to a slightly lesser extent with Code Veronica, it's not a numbered Resi.

I think because it has had multiple releases over the years it is easy to see RE4 as relatively new but it is a 15 year old game and will be 17 years old when the remake releases. I would be interested to know what the youth make of it or if they are into these remakes at all.
  • Seems like a lot of hubris to tackle remaking something like 4. Mikami was a different calibre of director back then, seems like trying to make lighting strike twice. Like Jon sez, reimagining 2 and 3 from the PS1 days gave them scope to properly re-invent it, but 4 laid down so many fundamentals that I’m not sure they have the same kind of design space to play with, even the 2 remake cribs heavily from 4, the whole series lives on the shadow of that game and the OG RE remake. Whilst it was only 6 years between RE and the RE remake, I don’t think the mechanics and language of gameplay have advanced anywhere near as much in the 17 years between RE4 and now.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What's the fucking rub here is if you're after modern RE4 mechanics, there's two Evil Withins out that do that perfectly. Both have been unfairly ignored, and the second, specifically is an incredible romp.

Both are Mikami joints.
  • Agreed, there's not much scope to improve on re4's classic gameplay blueprint. They tried with 5 and 6 and got a lot of flack for it. Shiny gfx only go so far. They should go with 8 and Dino/CV. See how far they can push the re engine and experiment with possible new gameplay hooks.
  • If they keep going at the current pace we'll have that long awaited remake of Resi 7 just 8 years from now. Just after Resi 11 comes out.
  • I would agree as well, but money and that innit.
  • hunk wrote:
    Agreed, there's not much scope to improve on re4's classic gameplay blueprint. They tried with 5 and 6 and got a lot of flack for it. Shiny gfx only go so far. They should go with 8 and Dino/CV. See how far they can push the re engine and experiment with possible new gameplay hooks.

They have stated that RE unnumbered (RE8 is what was going to be Revelations 3) will be a departure from the standard RE template. Basically they are going to experiment with a few things. Hopefully they can learn fron modern survival horror games ala Evil Within and come up with something great.
  • I hear it’s a 36 hour exploration of the first area, will be episodic and on one next-gen console only.
  • Why the double posts?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    What's the fucking rub here is if you're after modern RE4 mechanics, there's two Evil Withins out that do that perfectly. Both have been unfairly ignored, and the second, specifically is an incredible romp.

Both are Mikami joints.

Aye. Big fan of both those games. Both v. flawed, for sure, but great proper horror.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Apologies if this has been posted before, but it's been a fair few pages since I was last in here.

Resident Evil Remix, a fan-made remake of the original Resident Evil using the RE4 engine. Incredible work, but I can see the Capcom lawyers landing on it like a ton of bricks.

https://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/go-over-the-shoulder-in-resident-evil-remix/
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Both are Mikami joints.

Aye. Big fan of both those games. Both v. flawed, for sure, but great proper horror.

Evil Within 2 I got for a tenner and man what a tenner that was.
  • Resident Evil: Village (shit name) but RE8 basically.

Looks pretty interesting set in dracula nvillage in transylvania.

Wheres vere ? He'd be mega hyped for this.
  • Looked really good, one of the highlights of the PS5 reveal for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I hope they decide to stick to a philosophy with this one rather than go atmospheric to start and then swing to insane action. If they can’t sustain scary they should start action but then make that awesome all the way through.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Resident Evil: Village (shit name) but RE8 basically.

Looks pretty interesting set in dracula nvillage in transylvania.

Wheres vere ? He'd be mega hyped for this.

Said in the other thread. This was originally designed to be Revelations 3, but Capcom decided it was of high enough quality into the development to make it a mainstream title.
  • I hope they decide to stick to a philosophy with this one rather than go atmospheric to start and then swing to insane action. If they can’t sustain scary they should start action but then make that awesome all the way through.

If I was to pidgeon hole it across the various styles they have gone for over the years I would probably put it with 4 based off that trailer. But could lunge to 7.
  • It’s a first person RE with Ethan from 7 in it. It’ll be like 7.
  • Was it first person? I cant keep up on cut scenes and gameplay anymore. Also I really needed a wee at that point.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!