Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Take ya Haggis and Irn Bru and do one, la.
    You’ve changed since you started eating healthy.

I'm activating my almonds right now.

In seriousness though, go for the vote. Personally I can see it being the same result, it'll follow Brexit. Lots of youth got involved into the build up to that, a ton didn't vote and the old 'uns swung it. Can see it being the same, sadly. Hope ya cut ties though cos England is a shithole (not that Scotland is much better).
  • I've flipped on this and decided the timing is genius (having now read a load of people on twitter saying it). May now has to account for Scotland during Brexit negotiations as indyref2 is going to be a referendum on the deal. She really can't do it all her own way now and as such will have to put something together that isn't horrible and could pass a popular vote. "Walking away" isn't an option anymore as it means losing Scotland.

On the chance that Scotland doesn't end up leaving, calling the referendum now will work out better for English Remain chumps like me. If the Scots go though, the U.K. is going to be fucking grim. Scotland won't be any better but at least they'll have the EU and no Tories.
  • Take ya Haggis and Irn Bru and do one, la.

Cool, we'll take our oil and whisky revenues, and our fish rich waters, and our renewable energy, and the majority of the UK's fresh water and a whole bunch of other stuff.

You can take your Trident.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    All this 'once in a generation' jive. Right, define a generation. Could it be that there's a new generation in Scotland? One that (like me) didn't really bother with UK politics in general as they didn't really see the point? The same generation that's now (like me) taking an active interest in it because of the indyref? Look at mhairi black. Nothing to do with politics before the indyref. Now a sitting MP at Westminster. The generation changed in 2014.

Well it's most definitely not two years. And the bold Mhairi has come out recently saying that she is bored of Westminster and might not stand in the next election. A career politician, for sure.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    Take ya Haggis and Irn Bru and do one, la.
    Cool, we'll take our oil and whisky revenues, and our fish rich waters, and our renewable energy, and the majority of the UK's fresh water and a whole bunch of other stuff. You can take your Trident.

Glad we came to an agreement.
  • Lots of youth got involved into the build up to [the brexit ref], a ton didn't vote and the old 'uns swung it. Can see it being the same, sadly.

That’s pretty much what happened in the 2014 indy ref. The brexit vote just echoed what we’d already seen once up here. Younger folk campaigned, older folk voted. (Also; city folk campaigned, country folk voted.)
  • Round two. Can't see it happening but I'm invariably wing about these things.
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    All this 'once in a generation' jive. Right, define a generation. Could it be that there's a new generation in Scotland? One that (like me) didn't really bother with UK politics in general as they didn't really see the point? The same generation that's now (like me) taking an active interest in it because of the indyref? Look at mhairi black. Nothing to do with politics before the indyref. Now a sitting MP at Westminster. The generation changed in 2014.

Well it's most definitely not two years. And the bold Mhairi has come out recently saying that she is bored of Westminster and might not stand in the next election. A career politician, for sure.

Says who? Why can't it be two years? Look at all the shit that's gone down since then. They were banging on about EVEL the very next day. And another example of a generational shift: the absolute doing labour took in Scotland at the next general election.

Tbf, I don't think boredom was her main gripe. More that we, the people vote MPs in to represent us and get shit done and instead, they fanny about and do 3/4 of fuck all. It's an antiquated outdated system that doesn't work. And that's before we talk about the house of lords.
  • poprock wrote:
    Lots of youth got involved into the build up to [the brexit ref], a ton didn't vote and the old 'uns swung it. Can see it being the same, sadly.

That’s pretty much what happened in the 2014 indy ref. The brexit vote just echoed what we’d already seen once up here. Younger folk campaigned, older folk voted. (Also; city folk campaigned, country folk voted.)

Agree with this. During brexit I was struck with the similarities to project fear in the indyref. Almost as if they tried it out with us first to see if it worked. Like the poll tax.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've got to say, HawBaw, your repeated use of the phrase "project fear" does, to my mind at least, undermine your other arguments.
  • I do think an indyref should wait until Brexit negotiations are over.
    Big decisions like this should be informed. If the argument for a second ref is that Scotland wasn't properly informed over leaving the EU then the argument stands that the referendum a second time round should be informed of where the UK stands post-brexit.
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    HawBawJaws wrote:

I think you'll find that she's more "sick of" Westminster than bored of it. In fact she didnt mention being bored at all.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I do think an indyref should wait until Brexit negotiations are over. Big decisions like this should be informed. If the argument for a second ref is that Scotland wasn't properly informed over leaving the EU then the argument stands that the referendum a second time round should be informed of where the UK stands post-brexit.
    Aye but they may need to get their shit together before the UK leaves if they want to retain membership. Presumably Brussels has given them some private indication of how it might work. But yeah, it's going to be two sets of fantasists trying to outdo each other with zero facts available to prove each other wrong.
  • The other problem is if they do vote to leave the UK then they will be negotiating with the UK and the EU while the UK are also trying negotiate with the EU. It stinks of rush jobs and bad deals.
  • What is Sturgeon waffling on about not knowing when A50 will be issued?
    No one does, it is in the process of going back and forth between the Lords and Parliament, that isn't a sign she or Scotland are left out of the loop it is political process.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I've got to say, HawBaw, your repeated use of the phrase "project fear" does, to my mind at least, undermine your other arguments.

That's fair enough. The term was used excessively in indyref and brexit campaigning. Don't really have another term for the fear tactics used.
  • The centre shat the duvet entirely, they deserve having to deal with Scotland pushing off too, at very least.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    True. Too many were ignored for too long. And then an ill conceived , ill designed , and disgracefully competed referendum gave the disconnected a conduit , cheered on a by a ragtag band of rich boys claiming to be sympathetic to the cause.

However  - the power of EU commission is a major flaw. But then we also have the House of Lords.   :/
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    The wishes of the majority going unheeded is exactly why we are facing calls for a second one. The country voted no.

No, in that case, the wishes of the majority were heeded, otherwise we would be on the road to independence already.

It's maybe worth noting that the SNP know how damaging a second 'No' vote would be to the independence movement. They know how it would affect their credibility, and they know how powerful a trump card it would hand to those in favour of remaining part of the union. In the last independence, the suggestion was that this was a once in a lifetime vote. Circumstances have dictated otherwise. You underestimate how many 'No' voters felt betrayed when the EU referendum result rolled in.

Can't help but agree, to me (a euro sceptic who hypocritically actually bothered to pack a bag and go and see Europe when it was available) this immediate request for another go smells a lot like the euro tactic of having a vote again and again until you get the result you want
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Well maybe it is but you'd be hard pushed claiming that the conditions set out by the SNP in their manifesto haven't been met.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    The centre shat the duvet entirely, they deserve having to deal with Scotland pushing off too, at very least.

But it's not the centre that will get shafted is it?

And it's not the future shaftees that are choosing any of this, some are insulated, and they will always be insulated

So while the world fills ears with shite you can't blame them, there's almost genuine palpable fear around
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Matt_82 wrote:
    Well maybe it is but you'd be hard pushed claiming that the conditions set out by the SNP in their manifesto haven't been met.

I'm not doubting that, in just saying it has similarities to another tactic is all, but i mean well get to a point in twenty years time when we're all votingelectronically where some one will pop up and all the nation to vote on something at around 0445 on a Monday morning in the hope it will sneak through

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The major flaw in your argument is that there doesn't seem to be any chance of a second EU referendum in the foreseeable.
  • Somewhere out there is a parallel universe where Alex Salmond had a suspicion that the off-the-cuff 'Once in a generation' remark might just come back to haunt him one day, so decided against using it.
  • I’m sure there was a fixed number of years mentioned after the indyref. The question was settled for x number of years … there couldn’t be another referendum on the matter for x number of years. Now I can’t find a trace of that anywhere online … did I imagine it? Was it not an official fixed term, and just dodgy reporting based on Salmond’s ‘once in a generation’ comment?

I know the point Sturgeon is making refers to the clause about ‘a material change of circumstances’ so that she can call for a rematch. Which is fine. But I’m really bugged by not being able to dig out the period of agreement.

Anyone else remember, or have a link?
  • I just remember the generation thing. Worth bearing in mind that anyone inclined to vote for independence won't be annoyed by having another chance so soon, it seems more relevant to unionists and people who won't be voting anyway.
  • There was nothing stipulating how long another referendum would have to wait. Just people calling it a once in a generation event.
  • As a selfish English man I want you guys to stay. However, seeing as the current government wants to go ahead with Brexit, without providing us with any sort of info as to what benefits it brings for us as a whole, then imho you as a country should do what is best for you.
  • Every political party tries to get over the importance of people getting out and voting with some bullshit. I'm sure the EU Leavers said similar stuff and that wouldn't have put them off calling for another EU ref if they'd lost. It's all bullshit.

No fan of the SNP, or nationalism of any kind really, but they're right on this. They'd ruled out another referendum unless the UK went bonkers. Then that was voted for by Scots in their elections. Then the UK went bonkers. What are they supposed to do?

Really, nothing to see here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!