Scottish Independence: #IndyRef2
  • I've asked a few, and they tend to fall into 2 camps - if I'd known Scotland would leave I'd have voted Remain, and Fuck them they already had a referendum so they can't have another.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Genuine question: does anyone think a significant number of Brexit supporters convert to Remain if it secured Scotland remaining part of the UK?

I remember polling around the time of the EU referendum (can't remember if before or just after) that showed a significant drop in support for leave if it meant Scotland leaving the union. Whether that holds up today remains to be seen. My fingers are crossed that it does.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm not sure why Scotland would have to get in line. If they meet the criteria before the others, why would they have to wait, beyond the EU not wanting to enlarge at that time?

Are we ruling out them not needing to join, cos yknow they're already in. So it's not enlargement, it's just less shrinkage at the point of Brexit.

I guess the dates don't really line up though, assuming Scexit takes more than like a fortnight...
  • The EU make the rules, they can do what they want as long as they all agree on it. Even if they don't want Scotland, they can fuck up Britain during negotiations by saying they'd be welcome and so on.
  • If there was a EU referendum rerun, I think just the amount of Leave voters that didn't care that much in the first place, are sick of hearing about it and just want it go away now would swing it back for Remain.
  • The EU have already said Scotland need to apply like any other country not already a member.
    They will also be viewed as a new country, which puts them on the same level as Kosovo and Kosovo being a new country was sighted as scepticism for them joining.
    From an EU perspective I think it is reasonable to be cautious of accepting a country that has no history of running as it's own state. Not a reason to rule out Scotland joining totally but I could understand if EU nations thought it wise to see how Scotland operated on it's own for a while.

The one advantage is that Scotland's laws are currently already inline with EU laws so that part of the process should be quicker than say, Montenegro.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Racist.
  • How can I be a racist when my Granny is Scottish!
    ;)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It was in reference to your final sentence rather than Scotland.
  • Ye cannae throw yer granny off the bus.
  • How can I be a racist when I think I might have watched an England friendly againsy Montenegro.
    :)
  • Why is it wrong to ask the people what they want?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Have you been asleep for the past 12 months?
  • Because they don't know what they want, and if they think they do they're probably wrong.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Depends how often you keep asking then I suppose, there's a difference between fsshion and style. Plus asking every couple of years or so just devalues the issue

I've no problem with Scottish independence, thigh by Christ it's complicated, and imo likely not best for Scotland, but hey opinions
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • England sat on its bed, hugging its knees and rocking. They need us more than we need them, they need us more than we need them, they need us more than we need them, it whispered to itself over and over, knowing that, if you say it enough, it must be true.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I couldn't really care less if Scotland comes or goes, I think since devolution the extra perks available in Scotland and Wales have caused bad blood in middle England, people resentful that their tax money pays for free higher education and dentistry/prescriptions etc. Whether it's true it's what they're fed via the media

I appreciate your reductivism Andy, it shows me an opinion I'm unaware of being as I live a long way away. Also it's a way I deal with things so I understand it, no need to apologise. My worries are about the Forces, my regiment had a lot of Scottish folk in it, admittedly also a lot of Kiwis, Canadians, Saffers, Aussies and everyone else so maybe a conflict of interest isn't an issue

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • England could always not be dickheads, and go back to free higher education and abolish prescription charges. It would cost £450 million a year to abolish prescription charges. That's fuck all.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I couldn't really care less if Scotland comes or goes, I think since devolution the extra perks available in Scotland and Wales have caused bad blood in middle England, people resentful that their tax money pays for free higher education and dentistry/prescriptions etc. Whether it's true it's what they're fed via the media

Instead of demanding their own equivalent service from politicians, they direct their anger towards the Scots. Regards who deserve the life of servitude coming their way after brexit. Bunch of cunts, not worth mentioning
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Agree with both the sentiments above

All feeds back into the rise of the professional politician and the death of public service (across the board not just in parliament)
  • As an outsider looking in, it's just... so delicious.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • I think May is right on this one, a second referendum has to come after we know what the terms of the new relationship with Europe will be.

Otherwise it would be a farcical choice between two unknowable scenarios.

I also think Sturgeon is clever because May has been forced to talk about timing, not 'if' .
  • Well, they know one of the terms will not be "Membership of the EU".

a farcical choice between two unknowable scenarios.

We call those elections
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    She should be clever, she's been at school about 40 years

4534550755_288x373.png
  • WorKid wrote:
    I think May is right on this one, a second referendum has to come after we know what the terms of the new relationship with Europe will be. Otherwise it would be a farcical choice between two unknowable scenarios.

The general consensus for the last year-or-so has been that one of these scenarios is going to be pretty disastrous for all involved. And anyway, Sturgeon wasn't calling for a referendum tomorrow, but after the terms of Brexit are clearer. 

Bit cynical of May to attempt to engineer a timeframe that could exclude the voting rights of EU citizens in Scotland too, eh?
  • That's a fair point. EU citizens would be able to stay in Scotland if they went it alone. They should have a vote.
  • Sturgeon's timeframe would put Indyref2 in line with when the initial brexit stuff (probably a transition arrangement and the UK committing to paying all the monies) has been roughly finalised and is getting sent through the 45 or so European legislatures that need to approve it. Including, if May is to be believed, a 'meaningful' vote on the deal in Westminster. 'After Brexit' could be sometime in the late 2020s.

Although, like it or not, the Scots did recently vote that the British PM should have more authority than the Scottish FM. So she can do what she wants for the time being.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kazuo wrote:
    Bit cynical of May to attempt to engineer a timeframe that could exclude the voting rights of EU citizens in Scotland too, eh?

While I'm generally cynical about most of May's motives, I suspect that this one has little to do with EU citizens in Scotland (who could well be given a vote in any case, 16 year olds were last time) and more to do with the fact that Westminster will be up to their necks in Brexit shit over the next couple of years and will have little spare capacity for campaigning in another referendum.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!