ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I kind of agree, there's a lot of stuff in my collection that I know if I played to someone who didn't know the bands would be all interchangable

Within what I call pop-punk there's not a huge amount of variety, even vocal tone is often imitated from one band to the next
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I think, for me, a lot of it was about ‘being there’ and I just ain’t there any more.

I’m almost ready to cull my music collection and whittle it down to the classics, y’know? Nothing against each genre, pop-punk included, but I only need the ones I really love – not all the filler.

I was a bit of a hoarder when it came to CDs and I don’t feel the same connection to it all that I used to. I’m about a third of the way through whacking it all up on Discogs, in preparation for ticking the ‘for sale’ box.
  • So, you'll be left with just one Sum 41 cd?
  • poprock wrote:
    I think I’ve just moved on, really. I served my time in the UK/US punk scene, and it was through the ’90s and ’00s. Just not my thing any more.

Isn't it just that the scene never moved on?As far as I can tell nothing betters mid/late nineties output from Pennywise, Rancid, NOFX, Good Riddance, Lagwagon and early 2000's Millencollin.

Where's the the new punk youff gone? If anyone knows, let me know because I'd be interested to have a listen.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I’m just jaded and cynical, I think. The older I get the more I think that pop-punk’s been chasing diminishing returns since the Ramones and the Buzzcocks* … and that my attachment to the mid-’90s bands is really more down to my age than anything else. It’s what I listened to during my clubbing and gigging years.

I hear that Masked Intruder are good for a current band riffing on the old Lookout Records style. Beyond that I’m not really sure. Cocko’s your man for more up to date band recommendations.

* Special commendation to Operation Ivy as the best band since then, though.
  • Masked intruder supported Me First! They seemed a little sweary for my liking. Don't get me wrong I like swearing but if you keep doing it in song, it looses its impact. I'll give them some Spotify time.

Fat Mike didn't make the trip to Manchester either, we had Jay Bentley from Bad Religion.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    TBF it's mostly the same bands that have always been around. There is a lot of decent "new" punk but a lot has taken a slight indie edge to it, no means a bad thing

Pure Pop-Punky stuff
    Screeching Weasel
    Lillingtons
    Riverdales
    The Dopamines
    Teenage Bottlerocket
    Masked Intruder
    The Copyrights
    The Zatopeks
    The Apers
    DeeCracks
    The Griswalds
    The Priceduifkes
    The MurderBurgers

Slightly newer rockier sound
    The Menzingers
    Smoke or Fire
    Off With Their Heads
    Chillerton
    Milloy
    The Computers
    Spycatcher
    Max Raptor
    Pacer
    The Xcerts
    The Steal
    Tellison
    Beach Slang 
    Muncie Girls
    Martha
    Apologies I Have None

Likely a fair few worthy artists I've not mentioned, but lets be fair, with "sounds like" recommendations on playlists and stuff, that should be a plenty big rabbit hole to dive down
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Everything died when Crime In Stereo packed it in. (even though they've now reformed and are recording again)
  • poprock wrote:
    * Special commendation to Operation Ivy as the best band since then, though.

Oh yes. Energy is a timeless classic album for me

Been offered a ticket for the shins / grandaddy tomorrow night. Slightly more subdued.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I discovered last night that by my older sister dragging me to an Autechre gig in Edinburgh when I was 12 I saw like a bit of history by seeing Boards of Canada et al
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I’m just jaded and cynical, I think. The older I get the more I think that pop-punk’s been chasing diminishing returns since the Ramones

You're not wrong though

The whole genre traces itself back to The Ramones, some bands will say no they go back to The Descendents and The Queers, well yeah but their influence was The Ramones, and then almost everything since has been a near on clone of. There's room for Fugazi and Husker Du in there as well

Do love Boards Of Canada
  • Cheers for the extensive list Cockbeard, I'll have a scan through, there's got to be something there for me.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Believe me, that's just scratching the surface, but there is some really good stuff in there, hope some of it tickles your happy bones
  • Hi five for The Menzingers.

Depending on what you like, I'd also throw in the following for post 2000 stuff:

A Day To Remember
    All Time Low
    Fall Out Boy (But only Save Rock And Roll, the rest is garbage)
    Four Year Strong
    Kids in Glass Houses
    Motion City Soundtrack
    Modern Baseball
    Plain White T's (You may know Hey There Delilah, the rest is nothing like that)
    Set Your Goals
    The Story So Far
    We Are The In Crowd
    The Wonder Years
    You Me At Six

Various shades of pop punk, some better than others
  • Only ones I rate there (imo) are FYS, SYG and TWY. But to me they all were only really exciting when they first came out. Add to that list Polar Bear Club, Transit, and Man Overboard. Astounding first two releases from all three, completely forgettable afterwards. Imo imo.
  • OK, I've been working my way through your list Cockbeard (Ill get round to yours too DD so thanks for the recommendations). Enjoyed The Lillingtons, Riverdales and Priceduifkes but really enjoying Teenage Bottlerocket. I've only really scraped the surface though so lets see if they have any staying power.
  • Splendour in the Grass, the biggest festival in Aus, announced their lineup. Usually each year they get a bunch of "only Australian" show exclusives for the big bands which sucks as all I've heard is that the festival is full of ding dongs. But luckily this year it is not the case as the line up includes LCD Soundsystem, QOTSA, Royal Blood, Sigur Ros, The XX and a bunch more all non-exclusive. Will definitely be going to LCD sideshow as I didn't see them before they split because I am dumb.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Teenage Bottlerocket are probably the best modern proponents of that sound. Poppy as hell, and no shame in that at all, can't hlp but want to dance along with them. I'd put Masked Intruder in the same bracket, could both sell millions if they came out thirty years back, and really know how to catch a hook. Of that top list the bands I listen to most would be probably those two, The Zatopeks and The Apers. The Dopamines have a few really good songs as well

As for the bottom list, I would definitely add in Dante and Gav's recommendations, forgot all about Man Overboard, really channel that early Green Day sound and feel. Songs like theirs is why I listen to country now, feels weird singing along to fancying a girl at school/college, especially as a 37 year old man

Hey Shabs even though they say exclusive shows, most of these bands will play warm up shows in tiny venues under dodgy names, keep your eyes peeled on specific band forums, or even for shows with bands that you know have supported them or at least sound similar who have secret, special guests and do a little digging. But glad to hear you can watch these bands in full element without all the ding-dongs (love this turn of phrase, will be using extensively this week)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Probably should be in the Music Appreciation thread, but I find myself keeping on putting these guys on despite splitting a while back

But new project 'Apeman Spaceman' should be touring very soon

• I'm not sure Melbourne is that hip for secret shows. The only recentish one I know of was Prince rocking up at a small jazz bar late one night and asking to play a set a few years ago. I could be wrong though.
    And yeah, ding dong is a current fave of mine.
  • Missing out on Ghost tonight. Gutted.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wow, what an amazing night that was. Firstly I didn't feel like the oldest man in the room, it was a veritable who's who from 2001, like being at an Uxfest or similar. Great music, catching up with old friends, making new ones, and realising that not going to the senseless things show last month was very silly of me

Must go to more shows, and shows with adults
  • Charlotte Church’s Late Night Pop Dungeon is a strong early contender for gig of the year. My ears are still ringing and I’m covered in glitter and confetti. That was fucking brilliant.

If she’s coming to your town, I urge you to go along. Just trust me. She’s just announced two nights at the Edinburgh Fringe in August and I’m jumping in with both feet.

It’s like watching a glam rock band play your best ever mixtape live. Top vibes.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'd like to visit Charlotte Churches dungeon.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Charlotte Church’s Late Night Pop Dungeon is a strong early contender for gig of the year. My ears are still ringing and I’m covered in glitter and confetti. That was fucking brilliant.

If she’s coming to your town, I urge you to go along. Just trust me. She’s just announced two nights at the Edinburgh Fringe in August and I’m jumping in with both feet.

It’s like watching a glam rock band play your best ever mixtape live. Top vibes.

Oh I saw that last year- yeah. She is brilliant
  • At Metal to the Masses, god all these cunts have been boring.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Bloodstock trials? Bear in mind then most of those bands should be shit (or at meat unrepresented) given that's part of the rules
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    But here's hoping the headliners were better
  • Yeah. The headliners were my brother in laws band. I'm not particularly keen on them but at least they weren't boring.
  • Blanck Mass tonight - I've a feeling it's going to be loud.
    Gamertag: gremill

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!