Gigs
  • That's what records are for. The amount of mastering that goes on the average guitar track means you'll never get anything like that live if only because people can't afford to bring out plate reverb on tour. Gigs are for performing music, not recitals of the exact notes that were once played. The total opposite of musicianship.
  • Saw Radiohead in Manchester on Tuesday. Was epic.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Off to see Stealing Sheep in Mancland. Preferred them more when they were nu-folk rather than their current disco re-invention. 'Sheep also don't accurately reproduce their record sound, mainly because their main guitarist is always guaranteed to have a 'wobble' moment about halfway through their live set. Think Father Ted and "wait, I can do this bit !" . It's part of their charm.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I acquiesce that there is a time and a place for immaculate renditions of songs, but that's usually reserved for bands or artists who meticulously plan their material like say... Tool, who can't afford to jam a little when switching between time signiatures, but imagine paying to see Can and they just played off the record. Without letting musicians flex you don't get stuff like NIN's mkndblowing live versions of Sin and Closer.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Just discovered that I missed the Beach Boys, complete with Brian Wilson, on the 22nd of June in a tiny theatre just around the corner from my house. 35€ a ticket. I mean what the fuck.
  • I've no idea who Can are. 

Most bands I see play as close to the record as a live performance allows. I don't know about mastering and all that, but when Bad Religion play Los Angeles is Burning it sounds pretty much like it does on Empire Strikes First.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Can are great, but the drummer is dead, and he was the linchpin.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I remember reading a review of the Tom Waits concert I'd seen where the reviewer complained that the songs were really different to the album versions. I thought what a complete dickhead.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Actually, while I'm in this thread, at the moment I'm in the middle of a field at a country and western festival. Waylin Jenning's son is playing but I forget his name.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Aaron Watson on stage now. Never heard of him.
  • Does he have his cowboy hat?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He's shit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And yes, he has a cowboy hat. Shooter Jennings was actually pretty good.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Jesus Christ, he's rancid.
  • What are Rancid doing there?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He's left and joined a shit country band.
  • That's a tautology surely.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Well, Tom Petty delivered tonight in London, and then some.

Just the small unknown support act of Stevie Nicks. She absolutely slayed it. Played a few Fleetwood tunes as well, but Edge Of Seventeen as a closer was utterly tremendous. You felt in the presence of greatness. God bless her.

Then Tom came out and banged out hit after hit. Won't Back Down and Freefalling came early as well, which was a surprise. Of course the closer was American Girl, which brought the house down. Didn't play You Got Lucky which is a personal fave but you can't win them all.

Despite going to gigs since the early 2000s, I've never been to a festival (spare me) and that was the biggest crowd I've been a part of. Everything was far away but the sound was spot on and the vibes were brilliant. Top night.
  • LADS!

KLF ‘three day situation’ in Liverpool.

£100 per ticket, limited to 400 tickets. Whatever the fuck they’re up to, they’ve never, ever, been boring.

20245854_10154615429235025_4932107812035071811_n.jpg?oh=bb0ef4da00e6464080c2c2b625ee819c&oe=59EFDFD7

Bear in mind though that their current website does say “WARNING: The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu in any of their various past, present or future guises will not be performing music.”
  • I'm sorry, but what poor sap would pay £100 for that?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Just got me a Sunday ticket to Indietracks.  Had completely forgotten this was on, glad I found it again and bagged a day pass.   Vintage Steam Engines and Cate Le Bon.  Might just blow a gasket....
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Blocks and Dante, I'm very surprised. KLF are the closest thing our generation has had to the ethos of punk rock
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    However indietracks is normally quite the blast used to pop up from Derby when I was there, always a cracking line up, family friendly, should be a great day
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Blocks and Dante, I'm very surprised. KLF are the closest thing our generation has had to the ethos of punk rock

Whilst I appreciate some of the thought that went into what they were trying to achieve, I always thought KLF were fucking shite. Pair of wankers as well.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I liked the KLF. Apart from the music.
  • If I lived in Liverpool I would buy a ticket for the KLF thing. If I were a younger man I would do it even from this distance. But now I am 40 years old, three or four days away for an art happening seems like a faff.
  • Indietracks was wet. Very very wet. By the time I walked there from my travel tavern of shame, the site resembled the fun day from season 2 of Phoenix Nights. All it needed was a penis size inflatable and Jerry the Berry rolling across the mud to complete the scene of utter devastation. Most people had sheltered from the torrential rain in one of the train out houses where The Tuts were playing. Harmless riot girlll indie pop. But fair play to them for trying to whip up some enthusiasm in the rain soaked crowd by asking people to form a 'Wall of Death', where the crowd split into two and then ran into each other, much to the chagrin of the yummy mummy brigade that insist on bringing their offspring to gigs.

Cate Le Bon was a bit weird too. You could tell they were hesitant due to uncertainties over crowd size because of the  the abysmal conditions, but a slow start soon gave way to a rousing We Might Revolve. She remains every bit as beguiling as the Velvet Underground's Nico, only Welsh. And alive. Spurred on by the fact that this was going to be their last gig 'for a while',  their triumphant encore of Are You With Me Now?  dispersed the worst of the rain clouds. 

There are few other festival sites where you have to catch a rickety old carriage train to some long forgotten side junction to see bands that few others care about - I enjoyed the quirkiness of the setting but would desperately  like some Sun next time around please.
  • This line-up. As the saying goes, one of these things is not like the others.

20431635_10155094661153218_8725186936340019551_n.jpg

Imagine the scene. You’re organising a Christmas gig with Kim Wilde. You think it would be great to get some other retro female pop stars in as well, so you phone a few agents and end up with Kim Wilde, Carol Decker, and Toyah Wilcox. So far, so perfect. Then you round out the bill by booking Lawnmower Deth.

Wait, what?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!