Gigs
  • poprock wrote:
    It’s supposed to be the big outdoor Green Day / Rancid gig in Glasgow tonight. It’s just been cancelled, despite a decent amount of the audience already having been let in. Security staff haven’t been properly instructed yet. People are going to be angry

Hope it’s not due to anything awful happening. I hope the bands and crew are all okay.

Yikes. 200+ casual staff brought in to be stewards have just been told to go home and that they won’t be getting paid because they hadn’t started work yet.

There’s an event manager somewhere who’ll be getting the blame for all this.
  • Looks like it’s a health & safety failure to blame. The stage got wet and failed inspection.

Stage Manager about to get even more shit than the Event Manager, then …
  • Oooh, even better. Rancid’s crew are on social media blaming the H&S failure on the local tech crew being behind schedule setting up.

Shitstorm brewing.
  • As long as everything is ok for the hours between 21:25 and 23:45 on Friday Night in Glasgow Green.
  • How exactly does this happen? There are loads of outside events that happen in the rain.
  • This is why when the BBC phone you about these jobs you politely decline then leave the country :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • From what I hear so far: some gear arrived late. Local crew were late setting up. H&S inspection was failed. Bands fucked off immediately.

What riles me about situations like this are that the audience end up out of pocket. £50 tickets, so assume £5 to £10 per head for booking fees and delivery (or download) fees, plus credit card fees … all per ticket … which will not be included in their refunds. Across tens of thousands of people. On top of that, the poor folk who’ve travelled from the north of Scotland etc, the ones who booked places to stay the night, and so on …
  • I don't know in intimate detail how this stuff works... but could the bands have stayed around for a bit longer? Or is that not the done thing? I remember seeing Battles at Latitude and due to various issues they could only play a 20 minute set, they still played though.
  • If any of our Weegie Badgers were planning on going to that this evening, I recommend grabbing last-minute tickets to The Living End tonight at King Tut’s instead. Similar era of bratty pop-punk, but from Australia. I’ve seen ’em supporting both Green Day and Rancid before and they’re almost as good.
  • Living End are way better than Rancid.

Tempy, looks like the whole thing was called off, so no point sticking around.
  • I remember seeing The Living End go on stage right after Rancid at a festival in the States. Warped Tour 1998. Came out on stage and started shouting at all the wee skater kids “HEY! COME BACK! WE’RE BETTER THAN RANCID ANYWAY!”
  • Tbf, I remember Green Day headlining TitP years ago, and being primadonna wankers, so I wouldn't imagine they'd be in a hurry to stick around.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • They weren't wrong.
  • All of these bands are way past their prime. Wouldn’t catch me paying £50 for a nostalgia-fest these days.

Also, I’m old. See the Middle Age thread. I’d rather walk the dog, cook a nice dinner and watch telly with the Missus.
  • And I go to Burnley to watch some middling metal bands. I must have taken on your rock responsibilities.
  • Ooft. The bar staff all got sent home without pay today as well, despite being at work on site for three hours before the cancellation.
  • Should there not be insurance to cover things like this?
  • Event cancellations are a shitshow. The promoter will have insurance. But the bar company, for example, will be getting the fuck out of there in a hurry for fear of not getting paid by the promoter. If they can get away with not paying their casual staff, hired through an agency … they will. The staff will complain to their agency. The agency will complain to the bar contractor. The bar contractor will complain to the event manager. The event manager will complain to the promoter. The promoter will claim on insurance and get their lawyers to argue that they don’t have to pay any subcontractors. The promoter’s insurers will be inquiring as to why the event was cancelled. The buck will get passed to the PA hire company who apparently didn’t get the PA onsite in time. The PA hire company will point out that paying the bar staff is fuck all to do with them. Total shitshow.

Somewhere down the line, maybe two years from now, a small local company doing something like PA repair or supplying cables for sound gear will go out of business because the lawyers on each side agree that it was all their fault in the end.
  • Haha, Christ my brother was meant to be working ticketing for that gig today. He does some on-and-off stuff for PCL. Will see if I can get the inside scoop from him.
  • Haha, so according to him the stage didn't have weather cover, got fucking soaked, the bands showed up and refused to play on it and then fucked off. Everyone's started pointing fingers. What a glorious mess.
  • Sad thing is, at the end of the day the fans end up blaming the bands. There are so many middlemen on a gig of this size.
  • Aye PCL are defo using the weather line as their insurance will pay out in the result. Anything safety related and they get fuck all.

A shitshow all round. Deary me.

Also, green day have been shite for well over a decade lol, cheer up goffs lol

Ahem.
  • Also, green day have been shite for well over a decade lol, cheer up goffs lol Ahem.

So have Rancid, to be fair. I’d still go see them in a smallish venue though, for the older hits.
  • Radiohead at TRNSMT last night were immaculate. After a bit of a wobbly start to Glastonbury's performance I was worried that his voice just wasn't up to it anymore, and was kinda fearing they wouldn't bring their A game to TRNSMT as its a bit of a last minute affair. I did not want to hear Pyramid Song butchered.

So they opened with Let Down and he's crooning those perfect falsettos from the word go. Set was littered with songs that needed him to be on his A game, and he just smashed it, Reckoner was sublime, Fake Plastic Trees had just the right amount of grit to big chorus, Pyramid Song was absolutely note perfect from start to finish, their second encore started with Nude which is the kind of song that shouldn't work at a festival given how stripped back it all is, but it just swelled and soared. Christ. Spectacular on all fronts. 

Having seen them like... 7 times now, I think, it never fails to impress me how organic they are with their songs and their setlists. Songs never sound the same between tours, every take on a song is fresh for each tour; 15 Steps with its weird new machinegun guitar effects at the end, Everything In Its Right Place's woozy new sytnh sound with crazy bass breakdown at the end, Idieoteque sounding even more like a computer in its final throes, but now with a weird egyptian sounding riff possibly sampled from earlier in the night and distorted to go over the outro, even The Bends got a new sneering and loosely executed vocal take that made it feel like a brand new song.

Being a festival set up made it a little less than ideal, far too many bams around, people constantly traipsing back and forth, putting people on their shoulders, singing and clapping out of time without fail. Still, it was cheaper than seeing them elsewhere, and my pal who saw them in Manchester said the same - people walking and talking like £60 is pocket change and the band is background noise to their chat about work last week.

Anyway, I woke up this morning and just wanted to be back in the moment. The Thsirts were all a little too big but I am glad I have picked one up, because I imagine it'll be a good 3 or 4 years until I get to see them again, and that will be the perfect reminder. 

Shellac in October, which I am sure will be immense.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Songs never sound the same between tours, every take on a song is fresh for each tour

I'd hate that.

Glad you enjoyed it though Temps.
  • I mean... they're the same songs, they just rework bits of them or approach them from new angles. Different synth and drum patches, new pedal usage to eke out a different timbre or effect, solos that naturally deviate from the recorded version like a solo should do, flourishes here and there that reflect their mood approaching that tour or their in the moment interpretation of that part of a song. It's music. Can't be doing with bands that are still playing songs of their first albums exactly the same way they recorded it, it's a live gig, not a recital. I can understand people also not wanting to hear their songs on a fart organ or with armpit percussion... but that's not what's happening here.
  • I got what you mean, but I'm not a fan of that. I like hearing the songs as they are. Solos will naturally deviate somewhat, and there will be pauses building anticipation for the crowd, or the points they stop for the crowd to shout the chorus at them stuff like that.

But aside from that, play the songs as they are - or strip it down totally and go acoustic.
  • But they are as they are, in that precise moment.
  • The precise moment I want to hear is the moment they were recorded.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!