Gigs
  • Brudenell is thumbs up - saw St. Vincent there once. Amazing place.
  • And Scott & Charlene's Wedding  are playing there next month! Could just be the excuse I need!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Cosby, make sure you get there in time for the support, especially the first band, Shit Presents, who are fucking amazing.

Heh. Good band name. I'll get there in good time, cheers.
  • Saw Maiden with Jimmy the Lips at Twickenham a few years ago.  That was a fucking expensive night out.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Jimmy's lips can't be had cheaply.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Pints of it!  Amazing virility.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Been subjected to The Skints tonight. I need to shoot the guitarist/singer. Also there is some cunt from Scuzz djing between sets. He's fucking awful, and playing worse music.

Still, Less Than Jake to come.
  • Also, fuck lighting at gigs that blinds the audience. Yeah, I'd like to actually see the band please lighting guy.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Also, fuck lighting at gigs that blinds the audience. Yeah, I'd like to actually see the band please lighting guy.

I'm with you on this, incredibly annoying.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Went to see The Bronx on Friday, bloody great show. Not a dud song in an hour long set list. Demonstrates the quality of their albums really.

Support wasn't quite as good though. Pounded by the Surf (Bronx side project) and GBH. The original GBH. I've nothing against 70s punk bands still doing their thing but it seemed an odd choice for the gig. The only highlight came from their song Necrophilia which had the singalong chorus:

'No remorse
    Screw that corpse!'
  • Weren’t the Bronx and the Skints both playing the UK together this week? Supporting Less Than Jake, I think.
  • As Mariachi El Bronx. They were great, as ever. Less Than Jake killed it as well.
  • I saw LTJ a lot in the late ’90s. Haven’t kept up with them since. They always used to be fun.

I hear good things about The Skints from old mates in the ska/punk scenes but I’ve never seen ’em play.

The Bronx are The Bronx. (Except when they’re Mariachi El Bronx, I suppose.)
  • Just splurged a ton a pop on a touted tickets (well, GetMeIn.com which is a ticketmaster tout site in all but name)  for Chemical Brothers in Blackpool in December. 

I recall the Empress Ballrooms being great  (well it was for  Radiohead back in 1997)  And ain't seen the ' Brothers since V97 either.  Feck I feel old.   I am long due for some BLOCK ROCKIN' BEATS .

Which begs the question, what's the most anyone's paid for a gig ticket, and was it worth it or did you end up regretting the purchase?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • £40 for Metallica. Death Magnetic tour I think, but all the hits too. They put on a hell of a show, so totally worth it.

Most of my gigs are £10 to £20 range.

What's the venue, Empress Ballroom? Saw Placebo there 10 years ago, brilliant venue.
  • Something like £60 for Radiohead at the O2 5 years ago. They're always worth it for me though, and their sets are always around 22-26 songs, not too long not too short.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Just splurged a ton a pop on a touted tickets (well, GetMeIn.com which is a ticketmaster tout site in all but name)  for Chemical Brothers in Blackpool in December. 

I recall the Empress Ballrooms being great  (well it was for  Radiohead back in 1997)  And ain't seen the ' Brothers since V97 either.  Feck I feel old.   I am long due for some BLOCK ROCKIN' BEATS .

Which begs the question, what's the most anyone's paid for a gig ticket, and was it worth it or did you end up regretting the purchase?
    I think I did 120 for a Tool gig years back and MJK cooked the first half, lost the lyrics to Vicarious and then gave up partway through something else. Killed the second half though, belted it out.
  • I paid £80 to see Luciano Pavarotti sing at the SECC in Glasgow back in 1990. That was for the cheap seats at the back. He was fucking amazing.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Aye Empress Ballroom is a superb venue. The White Stripes gig there many moons ago was amazing, they (he) blew the roof off. Then came back on the little stage so everyone had to turn to carry on watching and meaning that different people were now at the front of the gig. Great stuff.
  • The John Prine tickets I bought this week might be my most expensive (£41 each), but I've got a poor memory for stuff like this.  I may have paid more to see The Zombies in 2010ish.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Most expensive -

£80 for -

Front row Tom Waits (worth it)
    Billy Joel and Elton John (not worth it)
    Depeche Mode in Manchester (worth it)
    Bob Dylan (mostly worth it)
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I just paid £80 for Kraftwerk but I'm sure it'll be worth it.
  • Paid about £50 for Louis CK at the O2 a few years ago. Music-wise it'd probably be CHVRCHES at the Hydro this year. £40 and worth every penny.

Cheapest? Or best value?

Paid £9 to see Brand New at King Tuts just before they got "Kerrang huge". Always like rubbing that one into folk that say "they're like, my fave band ever yknow?"
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I don't like it when a gig gets into double figures, but I'm pathologically tight

Got shock of my life this morning, girl at work wanted us all to logon to help her get Drake tickets, £90 EACH, ridiculopous
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I just can’t bring myself to buy expensive gig tix. I think it’s a hangover from growing up going to punk and indie gigs at local pubs. My price-reckoner for gig prices was set low at a young age.

I think £30-ish has been my limit. Beyond that I question my ability to spend so much on a couple of hours’ entertainment (especially given that I generally buy a pair of tix, not just one).

I can’t really comment on my cheapest gig. Too many years of blagging in for free, or just going to tiny shows. I think I paid £2 to see Green Day at the Hull Adelphi, in the days before they released Dookie. That’s a good example.
  • Iirc I paid £4 to see Queen back in 79. That was hugely expensive for the time.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • going to see twenty-one pilots at ally pally in november. Will be the 2nd time i've seen them this year. Absolutely storming set at Leeds. 

Tickets were £30 or so, now reselling for £160 on websites. Is that normal?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Most I've paid for gig tickets for one band were Radiohead at Glasgow Green - £40 I think. Best value? £6 to see The Refused in the basement of Nice n Sleazy's on the Shape of Punk to Come tour. Unbelievable gig.

Off to see Sleaford Mods tonight, high hopes as last years gig ranks up there with the best I've ever seen.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • mk64 wrote:
    Tickets were £30 or so, now reselling for £160 on websites. Is that normal?

Sadly, yes. Reselling is the new touting. Parasitical, outrageously priced, questionably legal, and run on the sly by the original ticketing companies.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!