Can't we all just get along?!? MD vs SNES
  • It's all about the Dreamcast at the end of the day. I was flat-shraing with Yossarian when he bought one at launch and it still stands as the biggest leap forward in home console gaming I've ever experienced. Other machines have been launched and impressed the hell out me since then, but the Dreamcast to me is when games seemed to shake free their technological limitations and offer worlds you really felt you were inhabiting. Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur - those games are the last truly revelatory experiences I've in realising what home consoles could do. There have been many many improvements in all areas of gaming, on many different machines since then, but they've always stuck me as incremental improvements rather than the paradigm shift I felt with the DC.

Sorry, way off topic!
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    Elf on a side note. I know your methodology isn't to everyone's liking but briefly looking at the lists how does the n64 hold up against the ps1? OoT vs ffvii I suppose.
    Had a quick look with tired eyes. Pretty evens. Not quite the annihilation that the SNES gave the MD.

Ahahaha really? Annihilation?
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    @Scrawl: The Dreamcast is never off topic around these parts.
  • Very glad to here that. The drive on my limited addition Japanese machine is keeps failing during loads. Do I remember rightly that you said that they're easy to replace?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    metascrawl wrote:
    Have agree with EvilRedEye. The GBA is great piece of hardware (unless you count its dreadful first iteration for which you needed more light that exists in the universe to see about 20% of the screen) and has Treasure's Astroboy in its catalog which is one of the finest pieces of entertainment ever created in any medium (thanks to yoss for introducing me that one, it's in my top five games for sure).

Astroboy on the GBA is all kinds of amazing. They need to do a sequel, or at least release it on the 3DS eShop.
    Yossarian wrote:

My name is Blue Swirl and I approve this message.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • What does the machine do when it fails to load? There's a really common problem with the DC that's easy to fix with regard to age and loose connections.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    omg dreamcast omg
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Astroboy on the GBA is all kinds of amazing. They need to do a sequel, or at least release it on the 3DS eShop.

Yes indeed - never thought a GBA game would turn out be one of my absolute favourites, but there you go.
    My name is Blue Swirl and I approve this message.

Cool beans!
    What does the machine do when it fails to load? There's a really common problem with the DC that's easy to fix with regard to age and loose connections.

It quits the game and dumps you back to the main menu screen of the console. This can happen when it tries tries load the game at first, or at any point during the game when the disc is accessed, for example between games of Virtua Tennis (and I do mean games rather than sets) or between bouts in Soul Calibur or Powerstone. You can have full gaming sessions without it happening at all, but I assume it will became more frequent over time.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, it's not the drive, but rather a build-up of dirt on the connections to the PSU (I think it was the PSU anyway). But yes, it's an easy fix, get some cleaning alcohol and I can show you how it's done.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    metascrawl wrote:
    It quits the game and dumps you back to the main menu screen of the console. This can happen when it tries ties load the game at first, or at any point during the game when the disc is accessed, for example between games of Virtua Tennis (and I do mean games rather than sets) or between bouts in Soul Calibur or Powerstone. You can have full gaming sessions without it happening at all, but I assume it will became more frequent over time.

If it's the same problem I had, you've got a loose connection between the power supply and the motherboard. There's a guide here, but there's hundreds online.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Try cleaning them before risking bending them, I'd say. A quick clean did the job for me.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Probably a good idea. Though when I fixed my DC, you can safely substitute "bent" for "pushed gently with a cotton bud".
  • The most hilariously awful thread in recent memory. 5 stars, a tour de force.
  • Thanks guys, good to know that it's fairly straightforward to fix. It's the only rare machine I have so it pains me to see it ailing. I'll probably just get you do it for me when you're next round Yoss, I can make a hash of the simplest of things. I'll pay you in larger of course.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Mega Drive is a better name then Genesis.

Collins' Drum Solo.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I was always confused by the choice of Genesis in the US. I wonder if any of the religious mentals ever took exception to it, back in the day.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I don't think the Mega Drive was around in Moses' time.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Maybe the sound chip.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Titter I not:

[edit]

I've just reminded myself of this:

Which sounded like a pan of boiling veg when you shot the first boss.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The DS didn't do it for me.

I don't have anything against the GBA but what the fuck is this about? The DS is fucking amazing. You're broken.

The GBA was my first SNES, so therefore, whilst still being clearly inferior to the Nomad, will always be a favourite. Super G'nG, Yoshi's Island, DKC 1-3, LttP etc (plus Mario 3 and a couple of other NES ports) - my first prolonged expose to all the above. Equally importantly, it was also my first handheld machine, not counting the likes of Greenhouse in the 80s.

Both Kururin games, the first Advance Wars, the Wario Wares (still the best two versions), Fire Emblem (even though it defeated me), Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Ninja Cop and Astro Boy are all favourites. Super Circuit is also my favourite Mario Kart. I had a DS for a while, but the first Layton and The Legendary Starfy are the only games that really did it for me. Perhaps the slightly primitive 3D graphics put me off - I would have been more into it if everything had remained 2D.

• the gba was good, I should know i've got every iteration of it including the mirco (not technically a gba but has the same port). Couldn't go online though and link up play was sparse. It was very much a single player experience. 

But it wasn't the dsl/dsi which was first ninty handheld online. 

And the DS might sell more than the 3ds but the 3ds is a better machine.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • metascrawl wrote:
    It's all about the Dreamcast at the end of the day. I was flat-shraing with Yossarian when he bought one at launch and it still stands as the biggest leap forward in home console gaming I've ever experienced. Other machines have been launched and impressed the hell out me since then, but the Dreamcast to me is when games seemed to shake free their technological limitations and offer worlds you really felt you were inhabiting. Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur - those games are the last truly revelatory experiences I've in realising what home consoles could do. There have been many many improvements in all areas of gaming, on many different machines since then, but they've always stuck me as incremental improvements rather than the paradigm shift I felt with the DC.

Sorry, way off topic!

Easily my favourite console.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Tempy wrote:
    The most hilariously awful thread in recent memory. 5 stars, a tour de force.

Perhaps The Guardian would be better off spending it's/their time in threads they feel are 'worthy' instead, then.
  • Dreamcast lovers who haven't played Super Magnetic Neo but fancy a tricky and charming platformer should grab a copy on Ebay. Probably my favourite non free-roaming/into the screen 3D platform game.
  • Tempy wrote:

Perhaps The Guardian would be better off spending it's/their time in threads they feel are 'worthy' instead, then.

Sense of humour might need tending
  • Tempy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

Sense of humour might need tending

Thanks for that.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Dreamcast lovers who haven't played Super Magnetic Neo but fancy a tricky and charming platformer should grab a copy on Ebay. Probably my favourite non free-roaming/into the screen 3D platform game.

I wasn't keen on the demo.
  • SNES was better by the way.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • This thread is now closed. Thank you for coming. 
    SNES WINS
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Actually, after a late surge...

Dreamcast wins!

Congratulations Sega ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!