Can't we all just get along?!? MD vs SNES
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yes - I'd ignore the region - even though I was in the dark at that time re 50/60Hz etc. The PAL Megadrive is an even worse experience than the PAL SNES as some 1st party games at least got a bit of optimisation from Nintendo. Have a look at PAL Sonic 1 - it is an atrocious port.

Those early SMW shots are awesome - haven't seen those before.

What about PS1 v Saturn?  Back in the day this was quite one sided - but to look at them today and consider import titles then it may be an interesting comparison to make considering the best each has to offer.

I guess PS1 would edge it on the sheer size of its catalogue but the Saturn is generally misunderstood by many - its 2D titles are staggeringly good and in a class of their own.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I think we should define some more rules in order to take this truly serious.  Everyone keeps saying SNES vs MD and stating that the SNES had the best jrpgs, but it didn't at all, the SFC did, the SNES had fuck all.  So are we considering everything from every region or just PAL?
    I thought it was a general vs. question rather than forumites or PAL. By that I mean that I took the question to be which console was better regardless of what language you spoke and where you lived etc. So all games count.
    Yeah that JRPG that wasn't released over here or translated into English was the bestest.
  • davyK wrote:
    What about PS1 v Saturn?  Back in the day this was quite one sided - but to look at them today and consider import titles then it may be an interesting comparison to make considering the best each has to offer.

I guess PS1 would edge it on the sheer size of its catalogue but the Saturn is generally misunderstood by many - it's 2D titles are staggeringly good and in a class of their own.

The Saturn did very well in Japan, even outselling the PS1 for most of it's lifespan (Sega moved to Dreamcast fairly quickly as the console had sold poorly elsewhere), so there's a decent catalogue of titles never released in the west.

It's also difficult to emulate, so it's games rarely get ported.

It also hosted Panzer Dragoon Saga.... wow!

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Yeah that JRPG that wasn't released over here or translated into English was the bestest.

I'm jealous that you have such a good command of Japanese. Wish I could understand all the Jap RPGs that are generally considered to be awesome.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I remember watching my bro slog through Bahamut Lagoon in Japanese. He doesn't read any Japanese.

That must have been hard for him.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Saturn did very well in Japan, even outselling the PS1 for most of it's lifespan (Sega moved to Dreamcast fairly quickly as the console had sold poorly elsewhere), so there's a decent catalogue of titles never released in the west. It's also difficult to emulate, so it's games rarely get ported. It also hosted Panzer Dragoon Saga.... wow!

I've a decent little collection of Japanese Saturn titles - the shmups and 2d versus fighters are probably what it's best known for but - yeah - there's plenty of other stuff to discover.
  • I had PS1 followed by N64, got to Saturn late; it is a great system with some great games.
  • Oi. None of this next gen talk.
  • If someone else wants to start a PS vs Saturn vs N64 thread.... feel free!

I'm not being held accountable ;)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Subsequent console war winners after the SNES:
    PS1
    PS2
    WiiS360
  • After 15 pages of this thread?! No way. That wouldn't make sense.
  • For me:
    N64
    PS2
    PS3
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The GBA is the best handheld console ever.
  • GBA sucks
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • GBA sucks

My shoebox filled with 73 great games says otherwise.  The DS didn't do it for me.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Subsequent console war winners after the SNES:
    PS1
    PS2
    WiiS360

You've misspelt 'losers'.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The GBA Micro is the best handheld console ever.

FTFY

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The DS didn't do it for me.

I don't have anything against the GBA but what the fuck is this about? The DS is fucking amazing. You're broken.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have long held the belief that no "console war" brings out more emotion that the SNES/MD one - and while a lot is said here tongue in cheek the response has been emotive and quite impressive 20 odd years on - I don't think a discussion on another gen would attract as much attention.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm guessing it's because the PS1 brought gaming to the mainstream. People tend to be far more passionate about more niche activities.
  • I'd say the Wii brought gaming to the mainstream. PS1 got people who had been gaming all their lives to keep gaming. It grew up with the demographic.
  • Have agree with EvilRedEye. The GBA is great piece of hardware (unless you count its dreadful first iteration for which you needed more light that exists in the universe to see about 20% of the screen) and has Treasure's Astroboy in its catalog which is one of the finest pieces of entertainment ever created in any medium (thanks to yoss for introducing me that one, it's in my top five games for sure). But I played Astroboy on my DS, while also playing so many incredible DS titles such as New Super Mario Brothers, Mario Kart DS, Bangai-O Spirits, and, well I'm not going to get into lists here, you get the picture.

I never upgraded from my ugly old first generation DS, and I'm glad of it because last year I got a 3DS which would have made any DS Lite or DSi I'd invested in obsolete along with my old grey asymmetrical thing - which still works just fine and which I now use now to play mutiplayer DS stuff with friends by hooking it up wirelessly with my new shiny blue machine and ruling Mario Kart. Loving New Super Mario 2 to death on that thing too, and 3D without glasses still makes me think I'm living in the future, even if doesn't add much really. I just think about how blown away my fifteen year old self would be if I knew what the future held in that regard.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't know about that. According to Wiki, Sony have sold more PS1s than Ninty have Wiis, although they're both about double the SNES. Fair play, Sony's had longer to sell them and the Wii probably will end up outselling it by a small amount, but I reckon it's fair to say that they're both mainstream consoles.

@Workid.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Elf on a side note. I know your methodology isn't to everyone's liking but briefly looking at the lists how does the n64 hold up against the ps1? OoT vs ffvii I suppose.

Had a quick look with tired eyes. Pretty evens. Not quite the annihilation that the SNES gave the MD.
  • For me: N64 PS2 PS3

I'm curious about the PS3 choice. Whilst Journey is better than all the games on the 360 put together, I can't think of much else to choose it over the 360, with the possible exception of Demon's Souls.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I don't know about that. According to Wiki, Sony have sold more PS1s than Ninty have Wiis, although they're both about double the SNES. Fair play, Sony's had longer to sell them and the Wii probably will end up outselling it by a small amount, but I reckon it's fair to say that they're both mainstream consoles. @Workid.

Yeah true, but Wii has definitely spread gaming wider. My parents bought a Wii FFS.
  • Well I'm glad people are up for ignoring the regions games were released in.  Not that I was able to understand any JPN only JRPGs mind, nor am I claiming something I couldn't understand was the bestest doh.  Just that there were loads of awesome games for both that simply weren't PAL.  Being PAL only fucking sucked.  In the 16 bit days JPN was king, regardless of the JPN language only JRPGs, there was still so much other stuff for tat region only.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!