Can't we all just get along?!? MD vs SNES
  • 20 years on! ;)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I enjoyed both consoles when I owned them and would happily own both again.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I enjoyed both consoles when I owned them and would happily own both again.

What kind of namby-pamby bullshit fence-sitting fuckshit is this, you bastard?!?!?!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    When I was a kid, I would have given my left nut for a Mega Drive. However, I think the SNES catalogue has stood the test of time better.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Earthbound was great. Starfox was revolutionary. Super Mario Kart was sublime. SNES for the win.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Also, my Dad could totally beat up your Dad.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • My dad played LCD games like a fiend but hasn't played anything since except Blue Max on PC.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Plug in 360 pad? I plan on doing that to play the fan translations of Seiken Densetsu 3 and Bahamut Lagoon.  That reminds me, Front Mission on SNES was good.
    I couldn't get ZSNES to recognise my 360 USB pad. :(

Ah bum. There goes my plan then. I'll still give it a try though. I have the wireless dongle thing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I have two megadrives and a snes. I hardly ever plug them in, but I got 'em. Earthbound is without a doubt my favourite 16 bit console game, so if I had to pick one or the other it would be the snes. I do enjoy Mario games more than (the undeniably brilliant) Sonic games too. But I don't have to pick, why would I? Two great, great machines that cost next to nothing these days. I'm a Dreamcast man through and through, but I'm fucked if I'm not going to play Vice City and Katamari on PS2 out of loyalty to my favourite machine.

Do you ever get troubled by the thought experiment that if you had to pick one of your parents to die, what would you do, and think about the aftermath of each choice in turn? I do, and then I realise that it's not a choice I'll ever actually have to make and therefore it's not at all worth thinking about.

Charlie Brooker once wrote that people, knowing his games journalism background and geekiness, would come to him and ask which console to get, to which he'd invariably answer "all of them." For me that goes for retro as well as new consoles - even more so in fact because it's much more affordable, at least for the non-rare machines.

At the time though, all I had was an Amiga. I desperately wanted to play sonic or Mario or both (or indeed a version of Streetfighter 2 that wasn't broken by having to be played with one button), but now I'm very glad that I was exposed to the amazing and esoteric stuff British developers were making for the Amiga at the time. I feel good about the way my taste in games was informed by such oddball stuff in the formative years of my gaming life. I think that it's influential on the fact that something like Killer 7 ranks so highly in my list of favourites - an undeniably flawed game but one that seems to have something of the deeply strange atmosphere of the pygnosis stuff I played as a teenager.
  • snes 9x is a good alternative to zsnes.
    For megadrive try Kegafusion.

Both play nice with a 360 pad so well worth checking out.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I played some of these games and enjoyed them.
  • hunk wrote:
    snes 9x is a good alternative to zsnes. For megadrive try Kegafusion. Both play nice with a 360 pad so well worth checking out.

+1 to snes 9x. Used the mac version to play through Earthbound and found it to be a superb emulator - simple, reliable and intuitive. I do have an Earthbound cart but I couldn't get it to run on my PAL snes with one of those region converter devices. I will play it on the original hardware one day, but I had a great time running it in snes 9x, no problems at all. It's the kind of game where the using the keyboard detracts nothing from the experience, so I didn't bother hooking up any kind of pad,

These days I run my 16 bit roms on a Chinese android-based handheld by Yinlips. It looks like a PSP and has decent buttons and an analogue stick, and comes with built-in emulators for the major 8 and 16 bit consoles, plus you can buy other emulators from google play - very much enjoying playing various AES Metal Slug games right now - it's crazy how superior the Neo Geo was in terms of power next to the MD and SNES. I always knew that it was much more powerful, but it's really been driven home to me since  I've been playing roms from all three machines on the same device.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I enjoyed both consoles when I owned them and would happily own both again.

What kind of namby-pamby bullshit fence-sitting fuckshit is this, you bastard?!?!?!

The best kind of namby pamby bullshit fence sitting??

You sound a bit evil there. And your eye, OMG YOUR EYE, ITS ALL... WELL ITS ALL RED. STOP LOOKING AT ME.

STOP LOOKING AT ME!!

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Plug in 360 pad? I plan on doing that to play the fan translations of Seiken Densetsu 3 and Bahamut Lagoon.  That reminds me, Front Mission on SNES was good.
    I couldn't get ZSNES to recognise my 360 USB pad. :(

Ah bum. There goes my plan then. I'll still give it a try though. I have the wireless dongle thing.

a wired Xbox pad will work with zsnes for sure. I used it yesterday.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What's that from Escape? I thought it was the Another World 20th Anniversary Edition but I've just checked Steam and it's nowhere near as shiny.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's a concept drawing from Orioto.

http://orioto.deviantart.com/gallery/6943610
  • Has nobody mentioned Super Punch Out!! yet?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Codrington's is best:

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Has nobody mentioned Super Punch Out!! yet?

Could never get by that old Chinese guy.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Some forgotten favourites I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Snes
    2020 baseball
    Wwf royal rumble
    Taz-mania (not the platform one)

MD
    Mercs
    Rambo 3
    Spider-Man (the kingpin one)
    Wonder boy in monster world

God knows how any of those stand up now.
  • metascrawl wrote:
    These days I run my 16 bit roms on a Chinese android-based handheld by Yinlips. It looks like a PSP and has decent buttons and an analogue stick, and comes with built-in emulators for the major 8 and 16 bit consoles, plus you can buy other emulators from google play.

This one?  If so that looks extremely reasonable.  How good is the dpad/screen/sound etc?  I've been using a GP32X Caannoo for a couple of years.  I'd still say it's probably the best thing I've ever bought, but the stick seems to deteriorate slightly time I use it, and wasn't any good for scrolling shooters/precise diagonal control out of the box anyway.  Plus, and perhaps most importantly, the two SNES emulators on there are dogshit, so I've been looking for something better and I've read mixed reports on the Dingoo.
  •  a wired Xbox pad will work with zsnes for sure. I used it yesterday.
    Really? I'll have to give it another try then! Maybe I'll start joining in with the Retro Club.

Monkey: I remember really liking that Spiderman game. The one where if you took too long on a level then Venom would turn up, right? Great stuff. Bosses including Sandman, Elektra/o, Reptile, etc? And you could take pictures of bad guys.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    metascrawl wrote:
    These days I run my 16 bit roms on a Chinese android-based handheld by Yinlips. It looks like a PSP and has decent buttons and an analogue stick, and comes with built-in emulators for the major 8 and 16 bit consoles, plus you can buy other emulators from google play.
    This one?  If so that looks extremely reasonable.  How good is the dpad/screen/sound etc?  I've been using a GP32X Caannoo for a couple of years.  I'd still say it's probably the best thing I've ever bought, but the stick seems to deteriorate slightly time I use it, and wasn't any good for scrolling shooters/precise diagonal control out of the box anyway.  Plus, and perhaps most importantly, the two SNES emulators on there are dogshit, so I've been looking for something better and I've read mixed reports on the Dingoo.

That does look reasonable. Very reasonable indeed. When I'm working again I may have to invest.
  • SNES is better.
    /thread
  • I think the only argument we can bring to the table now that could rival this is Star Wars vs Star Trek.
  • Elf on a side note. I know your methodology isn't to everyone's liking but briefly looking at the lists how does the n64 hold up against the ps1? OoT vs ffvii I suppose.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    When's the annual SNES fan culling going ahead? A hound to catch the hound known as Revel.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    metascrawl wrote:
    That does look reasonable. Very reasonable indeed. When I'm working again I may have to invest.

I've done a bit of digging around this morning, and this one seems to be the talk of the town.

You can get it with 8GB memory and free shipping for £96ish from www.Willgoo.com (which I've read is reliable, and accept Paypal).  I wasn't aware handheld emulation had come this far, but I've seen videos of N64 and PS2 games running on it, and it can also be connected to an HDTV via HDMI, which looks crisp according to Youtube comments.  I'm not sure that I like the shape of it as a gaming device, but I'm sure I could get used to it.  I might go for an all singing all dancing one, seeing as my Caanoo already runs most 2D stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That does look pretty good. The ability to run the PS2 games I've missed out on would be a bonus, plus having a touch screen means you could also run Amiga games.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!