Can't we all just get along?!? MD vs SNES
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    FTR, Elf, that 'conclusively proved' was meant tongue-in-cheek. And, I haven't ever claimed that the MD was better than the SNES. Better at beat 'em ups, perhaps, but not a better console overall, simply because I've never owned a SNES so I have no way of knowing that. Even if I did get one now, I still wouldn't be able to do a fair comparison.

So yeah, I've been arguing the MD's corner, but I make no claim for it being any better than the SNES at all.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    While SNES wins hands down, special mention has to go out to Kid Chameleon on MD.

Always regretted not finishing it, it was my last game before moving over to my US import SNES and much emptier wallet.

Those were the days of spending £60 on an import cartridge of SSFII Turbo Edition, to avoid the borders and the 17% slowdown.
  • I know re: conclusive proof. I was just going along with it! :)
    Can we start PS3 vs. 360 now please, I'm getting bored of this one?  Oh wait, no point. PS3 is rubbish as I can't play games on it, all it does is system updates...
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Hmmm in terms of hardware the snes had the ability to produce better quality sound and graphics.  Cross platform stuff often was better on snes e.g James Pond was far better on snes than md (I have both), but neither was as good as Amiga.  The Streetfighter games on md felt a bit rough around the edges compared to snes.

For the most part it has to come down to exclusives, as it does every generation, and I can't choose between them!
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    FTR, Elf, that 'conclusively proved' was meant tongue-in-cheek. And, I haven't ever claimed that the MD was better than the SNES. Better at beat 'em ups, perhaps, but not a better console overall, simply because I've never owned a SNES so I have no way of knowing that. Even if I did get one now, I still wouldn't be able to do a fair comparison. So yeah, I've been arguing the MD's corner, but I make no claim for it being any better than the SNES at all.

Emulation Yoss, there is no excuse! ;-)
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Playing on my laptop with a keyboard seems less than optimal.
  • USB gamepads Yoss, there is no excuse.
  • Plug in 360 pad? I plan on doing that to play the fan translations of Seiken Densetsu 3 and Bahamut Lagoon. 

That reminds me, Front Mission on SNES was good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Screw emulation, HARDWARE is what it's about.  I don't want to wait for my computer to boot and then to load a rom set into an emu to play SFC Mario.  The original doesn't even make you wait for a logo just push the power switch and BAM it's instantly in the menu.

Unless as Elf says, you need to run something in emu to get a language patch but that's different!
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Still, laptop. These games were supposed to be played on a sofa, dammit.
  • A console should be judged on its worst games.

Foreman For Real, Space Ace, Bebe's Kids and Home Improvement were crap.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Plug in 360 pad? I plan on doing that to play the fan translations of Seiken Densetsu 3 and Bahamut Lagoon.  That reminds me, Front Mission on SNES was good.
    I couldn't get ZSNES to recognise my 360 USB pad. :(
  • So you decided yet?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It was a tie for pretty much everyone other than Reg and MK.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Everyone who matters.
  • davyK wrote:
    I think that Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Dragon's Fury are still amongst the best in their respective genres.
    Absolutely. I haven't played Dragon's Fury though.

SNES got the sequel - Jaki Crush

I knew there was a Mega Drive sequel called (in the UK) Dragon's Revenge, I've never played it though.

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    A console should be judged on its worst games.

Foreman For Real, Space Ace, Bebe's Kids and Home Improvement were crap.

Rise if the Robots was 'better' on SNES ;)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have very fond memories of playing Arnold Palmer Golf on the MD with my mates - great Sunday hangover game.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Could I just say, because this thread was my fault, that it was only intended as a bit of fun.

The banter had begun in the Wii U thread, and it was suggested it it received its on thread. I didn't expect more than about 10 posts, tbh.

The Mega Drive was the first console I ever owned, so it'll always be special to me, and that's why it's my favourite of the two. Favourite, not "best". These days I'm lucky enough to own both, 101 games for my Mega Drive and 11 for my SNES.

I'm genuinely sorry if anyone has felt insulted or been upset because of things said in here, I rarely start threads, and certainly not to start arguments.
  • I remember PGA Golf being good as well.Tried it via emulation recently and it was virtually unplayable.

Super Tennis is still wonderfully playable and the graphics still have a certain charm even though they're far from the best the SNES had to offer.

Reg mentioned Kick Off during his earlier pro-Nintendo rampage, which must've been somekind of mistake as the SNES version was atrocious. No idea if the Megadrive had a decent version. It did have European Club Soccer which was a pretty good pre-ISS knock-about.

The Terminator on MD seemed ace in 1992, haven't played it since but it looked great back then. I remember being jealous coming back from my mates having played that, Sonic 2 and Desert Strike.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Could I just say, because this thread was my fault, that it was only intended as a bit of fun.

The banter had begun in the Wii U thread, and it was suggested it it received its on thread. I didn't expect more than about 10 posts, tbh.

The Mega Drive was the first console I ever owned, so it'll always be special to me, and that's why it's my favourite of the two. Favourite, not "best". These days I'm lucky enough to own both, 101 games for my Mega Drive and 11 for my SNES.

I'm genuinely sorry if anyone has felt insulted or been upset because of things said in here, I rarely start threads, and certainly not to start arguments.

You did nothing of the sort and the popularity of the thread should show the amount of fun people have had with it.
    I got a bit too into it, not your fault.

Think I'm going to take a break from the forum for a bit anyway - feel I'm starting to grate on too many.
  • Don't leave us, Reg.
  • C'mon Reg.  This thread was your idea and it's the best one we've ever had *

* Apart from the puns one.
  • Don't leave us, Reg.

I mean that sincerely mate.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I hate you all now. Especially Reg.

Nah, just messing. It's been fun. And Reg, you're not grating on me.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I hate you all now. Especially Reg.

I hate you as well...

No.

I can't stay angry at you.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Aw.

I can. I'm a vengeful bastard.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Can't we all just get along?!? MD vs SNES

Somewhat surprisingly we can produce a unanimous answer to this thread, which is 'fuck no'.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!