Can't we all just get along?!? MD vs SNES
  • Alien 3, better on SNES or MD? I've only played the SNES version, which was awesome.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I liked the characters and the bosses. The special moves as well. Don't remember SoR having lots of moves, it was a scrolling fighter so depth in moves was wasted anyway. Press attack ad infinitim and occasionally do jump and attack or special attack. I might emu it and replay.

Here's the move list from 2, and there was a use for pretty much all the moves you care to name. You had quick knock downs and running attacks that were useful for crowd control, a choice of a jumping attack that didn't knock people down so you could follow up with more punishment, a quick backwards attack and the ability to hurdle enemies who you've grabbed to give you the choice of pummelling or a throw (or both). And all of that was just in 2, in 3 they added the ability to do two person attacks back in and added combos with weapons and probably some more stuff that I've forgotten. There was a hell of a lot to it.
  • All I'm hearing is SoR was better than final fight. What else did it have? Honestly?

Also yoss I'm looking into the ssf2t situation.

No alpha on md though :/ I would prefer to play the newest game than no game at all ))
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    All the other stuff that's been listed. Read the rest of the thread, I can't be arsed repeating it.
  • The Saturn was out by the time SF Alpha was released.
  • Is this Saturn vs snes? No didn't think so.

And yoss read the other stuff. None of its fighting games. Give me a list of good fighting games on the md please.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    oh god its getting genuinely bitter now ahhhhh
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Put your money where your mouth is. Looking forward to him listing SoR three times as opposed to me listing all final fights under one....
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Is this Saturn vs snes? No didn't think so. And yoss read the other stuff. None of its fighting games. Give me a list of good fighting games on the md please.

Actually, other fighting games have been listed. Side-scrollers included Alien Storm and Golden Axe, 1v1 included Eternal Champions (which I thought was a pretty decent stab myself) and, one that hasn't been listed, Mortal Kombat. I forget which version(s) of MK came out because they were rubbish, but they were there.

But really, who cares about the rest? On the Megadrive I got two beat 'em ups which I still play fairly regularly to this day. Admittedly, SFIV has taken over SFII, but mechanically it's basically the same, and me and my brother still break out the SoR games for a play-through every now and again to this day. If the only fighting series that had ever come out on the MD were SF and SoR, that would be all I ever needed.
  • Wasn't the sound chip on the MD shit? I remember Super Streetfighter having dreadful sound on the MD, and to be honest, the graphics weren't as good as the SNES, add in, well, Nintendo and the best game ever (Zelda LttP) and the SNES runs away with it.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It sounded fine to me, but then I wasn't used to hearing it on a SNES then going to MD.
  • Mario rpg thousand year door. Amazing no one hasn't mentioned that!

Or mystical ninja.

Dkc has been mentioned but not the sequels. 3 is regarded as the best.

Rock n roll racing? Top gear? Mario paint?

• LarryDavid wrote:
    There was a Contra on the MD, Hard Corps it was called. It was a bit shit compared to Contra III though.
    MD's Probotector as they called it when it finally made it over to Europe would have been amazing had it not been so damn hard. Loads of typical Konami set pieces and original touches, but I couldn't get much further than a couple of levels.

A lot of the Konami stuff got versions on both machines, and they're a pretty good measurement of the overal quality. Things like Contra and Castlevania are good on MD, but just that bit 'more' on SNES. And there's no Mystical Ninja or Parodius on MD.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Put your money where your mouth is. Looking forward to him listing SoR three times as opposed to me listing all final fights under one....

Just to reiterate in case you missed it, Final Fight was single player on the SNES :P
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Paper Mario is GameCube, MK. Many moons later. 

Mystical Ninja has been mentioned. As has MarioKart 

Rock n Roll racing was also on MD, I believe.
  • Mario Paint?!!?

I thought I'd let that one slip. Glad no one mentioned Mario is Missing.
  • Mk, did you mean Super Mario RPG, by the way?
  • What we need is some comparison shots and vids.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Paper Mario is GameCube, MK. Many moons later. 

Mystical Ninja has been mentioned. As has MarioKart 

Rock n Roll racing was also on MD, I believe.

I didn't say paper mario. I said mario rpg.
  • It's not thousand year door it's

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

• JonB wrote:
    LarryDavid wrote:
    There was a Contra on the MD, Hard Corps it was called. It was a bit shit compared to Contra III though.
    MD's Probotector as they called it when it finally made it over to Europe would have been amazing had it not been so damn hard. Loads of typical Konami set pieces and original touches, but I couldn't get much further than a couple of levels.

A lot of the Konami stuff got versions on both machines, and they're a pretty good measurement of the overal quality. Things like Contra and Castlevania are good on MD, but just that bit 'more' on SNES. And there's no Mystical Ninja or Parodius on MD.

Parodius (one of my favourite SNES games) came out on the Saturn.

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Loving this thread, especially how seriously some are taking it. Glorious.
  • Loving this thread, especially how seriously some are taking it. Glorious.

Yeah, got a bit heated for what is essentially a 20 year old playground argument reinactment.
  • It's good just to remember how many great games there were for both. A real golden age.
  • mk64 wrote:
    It's not thousand year door it's Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Glorious. My copy is still almost shrink wrapped.
  • Oh yeh, Kirby's Dream Course is great, which I mentioned in the retro thread. I had it at one point. Gonna hunt it down. 

Talking of hunting down some games, I've been trying to get decently priced DoReMi Fantasy and Umihara Kawase if and when they pop up on eBay. Often mentioned as a couple of the best SFC games never to be released in the west. 

Along with trying to afford Firemen, Earthbound, Batman & Robin, Captain Commando, Mega Man X series.... *sigh*
    One day. Maybe.
  • 16bit Konami was Glorious on either machine.
    The sound on MD was still crap though. Case in point: Castlevania 4 and Castlevania Bloodlines.
    There was nothing really wrong with Bloodlines musical score as many of its tracks were reused in sequels. It's just the md's sound processor showing it's age.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Wasn't the sound chip on the MD shit? I remember Super Streetfighter having dreadful sound on the MD, and to be honest, the graphics weren't as good as the SNES, add in, well, Nintendo and the best game ever (Zelda LttP) and the SNES runs away with it.

I don't think generalisations about graphics and sound really stand up. The Sonic games shit on, say, Super Mario World from an audio-visual perspective (although debatably not in terms of gameplay, I'll admit) and there are plenty of Mega Drive games with attractive visuals and sound.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Edit @ Elf

I've promised Mrs Prime that Cosmic Smash would be the last (fairly expensive) retro game that I'd get.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!