Can't we all just get along?!? MD vs SNES
  • Has anyone mentioned Phantasy Star IV? Or is everyone too scared of the avalanche of top quality SNES jrpgs that would tumble down upon it's mention?

My MD owning friend liked it. I leant him my SNES with FF3/6. He couldn't believe how shit Phantasy Star was in comparison.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Chrono trigger hasn't been mentioned enough.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Abuse. Narky posts. I was literally lying in bed this morning thinking of games I loved on SNES and got accused of just copy and pasting from Wiki. Sad, just because people haven't heard of them.

Sad indeed. Specially as the games you listed were great.

I love revel for mentioning Terranigima. Xxxxx
  • monkey wrote:
    Chrono trigger hasn't been mentioned enough.

It has. I think it was you!
  • Zelda: LttP

/Thread
  • More classic SNES games:

Soul Blazer
    Illusion of Time
    Solstice 2: Equinox
    Plok!
    Shadowrun
    Cybernator
    Harvest Moon
    Super Turrican
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Has anyone mentioned Phantasy Star IV? Or is everyone too scared of the avalanche of top quality SNES jrpgs that would tumble down upon it's mention?
    My MD owning friend liked it. I leant him my SNES with FF3/6. He couldn't believe how shit Phantasy Star was in comparison.
    Seems a bit unfair that; Phantasy Star IV (or II?) is generally regarded as being one of the best 16-bit RPGS. 

I've never given it more than a cursory dabble, myself. I might rectify that one day. I love FF3/6 and Chrono Trigger. The SNES definitely had it best when it came to RPGS.
  • Earthbound
  • @tiger: his opinion may have been influenced by the fact that he played all the MD RPGs and FF6 was the first FF he played and was "blown away". 

He did like on MD:

Story of Thor
    Landstalker
    Sword of Vermilion
    Shining Force series
  • Final Fantasy 6 just does so much right.

SNES didn't have Sonic Spinball though.
  • Someone said the snes lacked beat em ups

1) turtles in time
    2) ssf2t
    3) alpha 2
    4) final fight 1,2 and 3
    5) ultimate mortal kombat 3
    6) killer instinct

And sorry what did the mega drive have? SoR and championship edition sf2? Lol

Sim city and super tennis. Md had nothing like it. Also what RPGs were on the md compares to snes? Infant snes is better than almost every system ever for RPGs
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I was pretty pleased to have both machines, all things considered. Now I have neither because emulation.
  • yay a thread where we list awesome old games for MD and SNES!

Whoever said "Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure" i love you (DecapAttack FTL)

Has anyone said "Herzog Zwei" yet?  awesome.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • SNES had Captain Commando. Commands (lol) hundreds of poinds on ebay. Did the MD have it? Great game. 

@tiger: good call on Sonic Spinball! Devil Crush was an MD exclusive, wasn't it? Never played it, but it is often cited as one of the best pinball games.
  • Scrolling shooters is an interesting one but Snes edges it again.

Pop n twinbee, super rtype, aleste, parodius, un squadron
    v
    Xenon, Thunderforce, Hellfire, Gynoug.

Good games all round in that mix.
  • In defence of the Mega Drive, regarding JRPGs. As has been mentioned, SEGA didn't have much support from Japanese developers (not sure Nintendo would allow it), so any RPGs released on MD would pretty much have come from SEGA themselves.

Not an easy task, as the company was more famous for it's arcade games.

EA did release The Immortal, which was pretty good though.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    In defence of the Mega Drive, regarding JRPGs. As has been mentioned, SEGA didn't have much support from Japanese developers (not sure Nintendo would allow it), so any RPGs released on MD would pretty much have come from SEGA themselves. Not an easy task, as the company was more famous for it's arcade games. EA did release The Immortal, which was pretty good though.

What are we talking about as well, the overall software catalogue or the original MD/SNES experience? Because a lot of the best SNES RPGs never came out in Europe originally. Shining Force II was amazing - and was actually released over here.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    SNES had Captain Commando. Commands (lol) hundreds of poinds on ebay. Did the MD have it? Great game. 

@tiger: good call on Sonic Spinball! Devil Crush was an MD exclusive, wasn't it? Never played it, but it is often cited as one of the best pinball games.

Devil Crush (Dragon's Fury over here) is genuinely brilliant (I've mentioned it a couple of times already), it's available on the Wii Virtual Console, and I'd highly recommend it.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Someone said the snes lacked beat em ups

1) turtles in time
    2) ssf2t
    3) alpha 2
    4) final fight 1,2 and 3
    5) ultimate mortal kombat 3
    6) killer instinct

And sorry what did the mega drive have? SoR and championship edition sf2? Lol

Sim city and super tennis. Md had nothing like it. Also what RPGs were on the md compares to snes? Infant snes is better than almost every system ever for RPGs

Are you actually suggesting the Mega Drive had nothing like Super Tennis?

C'mon MK! ;)

It had Theme Park too, btw.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Someone said the snes lacked beat em ups 1) turtles in time 2) ssf2t 3) alpha 2 4) final fight 1,2 and 3 5) ultimate mortal kombat 3 6) killer instinct And sorry what did the mega drive have? SoR and championship edition sf2?

If you'd been paying attention, the MD had SSFII, with a specifically designed pad that had an amazingly responsive and accurate d-pad and the correct button layout. SNES loses that one.

And you laugh at SoR, but have you ever put any time into them? SoR 2 and 3 had a wider move set and much more depth than any other scrolling beat 'em up I've ever played. I would take either of those over every scrolling beat 'em up released for the SNES.
  • In defence of the Mega Drive, regarding JRPGs. As has been mentioned, SEGA didn't have much support from Japanese developers (not sure Nintendo would allow it), so any RPGs released on MD would pretty much have come from SEGA themselves.
    It was basically just the lack of Square and Enix really.
    EA did release The Immortal, which was pretty good though.
    Ah come on, that was shite.
  • I quite enjoyed it. It was many years ago, though.
  • There was a JRPG released (translated and released in the west) for the Mega Drive about six years ago, called Beggar Prince.

Reviews at the time were good, although I've not yet played my copy, so I can't recommend it from experience.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I can't help with the RPG thing. I've never been a fan.
  • Did the MD get the Mega Man series, Breath of Fire games, Contra 3? They were good.
  • SuperSF2 on MD had less colours and awful sound BUT Ryu featured more animation frames in the intro than the snes. There was also some kind of extra option in time trial or something.
    Supernes SSF2 AV presesentation was crisp and vibrant, not quite cps2 standards but tolerable.

As for the pads ahem...... it's what your accustomed to.

Also snes SMASHTV.
    Awesome.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No one else remember Turtles Tournament Fighters? It was an amazing amazing fighting game- I remember the animation being stunning.
    Also, wasn't Samurai Showdown on the SNES?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Mega Man, no. Contra, I'm not sure but the name rings a bell, so perhaps. Breath of Fire I've never heard of, so probably not.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    No one else remember Turtles Tournament Fighters? It was an amazing amazing fighting game- I remember the animation being stunning. Also, wasn't Samurai Showdown on the SNES?

I remember it, loved it, but thought it was multi platform?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!