• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I've started my list of how many exclusives of each console turn up in too 100 lists.

Seeing as the SNES outsold the MD, it does seem likely that the SNES will feature more prominently on these lists. I don't have a single SNES game in my top 100, but then I've never played any.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    indigo wrote:
    Megadrive had great ninja hack n slash games in Strider and Shinobi. The only similar Snes game was Kabuki and that was on Md too iirc. Road Rash was great, gory fun too. The MD Cpu was much faster than the Snes one, so it was better suited to schmups and intense action games, where the Snes would be more prone to bouts of slowdown and flickering.
    SNES also had Hagane - worth a look - but yeah - MD was best at those I'd give the SNES the nod for platformers, RPGs and puzzle games. Close re trad shmups - though MD might shave that. MD got the better deal from EA re sports - though the SNES did have a couple of crackers like Super Tennis and ISS Deluxe - but MD would take that category. I'd say that the SNES would win the wildcard/misc. category though. 4-3 to the SNES.

You forgot beat 'em ups, which, as I've conclusively proved in this thread, the MD won. So four all.
  • I don't think there's any way you can say the SNES is a clear winner. There's a wealth of superb games that you could only play on the Megadrive. Yes, the SNES is indisputably top for RPGs (MD has some crackers, but it's hard to argue given the pedigree of JRPGs on the SNES) but I don't think there's any other genre at all clear cut.

Re: Sonic music. I can hum, off the top of my head right now. Starlight, Flying Battery, Mystic Cave, Boss music from each individual game 1 through 3, Sandopolis, Ice Cap,  ... I could go on. The music is absolutely amazing.

Was Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing on the SNES? That was great.
  • Strider.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • davyK wrote:
    What about racing? MD takes Micro Machines SNES has F-Zero MD has Ayerton Senna SNES has Human Grand Prix SNES has Unirally and Mario Kart though

MD had the Domark F1 game too.  Superfast.
  • I don't think there's any way you can say the SNES is a clear winner. There's a wealth of superb games that you could only play on the Megadrive. Yes, the SNES is indisputably top for RPGs (MD has some crackers, but it's hard to argue given the pedigree of JRPGs on the SNES) but I don't think there's any other genre at all clear cut. Re: Sonic music. I can hum, off the top of my head right now. Starlight, Flying Battery, Mystic Cave, Boss music from each individual game 1 through 3, Sandopolis, Ice Cap,  ... I could go on. The music is absolutely amazing. Was Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing on the SNES? That was great.

I can still hum the two player Mystic Cave Zone tune too.  A cracker.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Perhaps not our top 100 lists though Elf.

If we all publish our top 100 lists, happy to take them into account. Otherwise I'll go with what I can get my hands on.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I've started my list of how many exclusives of each console turn up in top 100 lists.
    Seeing as the SNES outsold the MD, it does seem likely that the SNES will feature more prominently on these lists.

On sales lists, yes. I'm trying to look at best/favourite games lists, not sales oriented ones.
  • My imaginary top 100 would probably have more SNES games near the very top, but contain far more MD games overall.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I've started my list of how many exclusives of each console turn up in top 100 lists.
    Seeing as the SNES outsold the MD, it does seem likely that the SNES will feature more prominently on these lists.
    On sales lists, yes. I'm trying to look at best/favourite games lists, not sales oriented ones.

Yes, my best/favourite games tend to be the ones that I played and enjoyed at or shortly after the time of release, so the more people who played a game at the time it came out, the more likely it is to feature higher on a favourites list.
  • What genre did Ganbare Goemon come under?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • First one was platformer/RPG, second and third were more pure platforming, fourth SNES one was again quite like an RPG.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Yes, my best/favourite games tend to be the ones that I played and enjoyed at or shortly after the time of release, so the more people who played a game at the time it came out, the more likely it is to feature higher on a favourites list.

Not much of an issue for the gaming press/critics, though.
  • Alien storm, too
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • If a top 100 list was composed in, say 1995, it'd probably a fairly even split.

Some of the games that'd have featured highly on MD back then, say Madden '92, which was undoubtably great at the time, has been updated yearly since. Nobody would suggest it's better than Madden '13. So a list compiled now obviously wouldn't feature it.

As great as something like Mario Kart is, is it as good as Mario Kart 7? There's an argument for including both those games, IMO.

The SNES would probably fare better these days because a lot of the best MD games have been bettered in recent years.

I think that Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Dragon's Fury are still amongst the best in their respective genres.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I think that Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Dragon's Fury are still amongst the best in their respective genres.
    Absolutely.

I haven't played Dragon's Fury though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Not much of an issue for the gaming press/critics, though.

You think that when you become a critic you suddenly lose any emotional attachment to the formative experiences of your childhood?
  • To an extent, yes, otherwise the lists would be full of Atari 2600 games. 

Also, anyone mention Micro Machines v2 with a J-cart? Such laffs.
  • I think that Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Dragon's Fury are still amongst the best in their respective genres.
    Absolutely.

I haven't played Dragon's Fury though.

It's on Virtual Console, if you have a Wii.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    To an extent, yes, otherwise the lists would be full of Atari 2600 games.

A tiny percentage of current critics are likely to have owned an Atari 2600. A larger percentage are likely to have owned Megadrives and an even larger percentage are likely to have owned SNESs, as SNESs sold the most.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    First one was platformer/RPG, second and third were more pure platforming, fourth SNES one was again quite like an RPG.

Did it appear on MD?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Yossarian wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    indigo wrote:
    Megadrive had great ninja hack n slash games in Strider and Shinobi. The only similar Snes game was Kabuki and that was on Md too iirc. Road Rash was great, gory fun too. The MD Cpu was much faster than the Snes one, so it was better suited to schmups and intense action games, where the Snes would be more prone to bouts of slowdown and flickering.
    SNES also had Hagane - worth a look - but yeah - MD was best at those I'd give the SNES the nod for platformers, RPGs and puzzle games. Close re trad shmups - though MD might shave that. MD got the better deal from EA re sports - though the SNES did have a couple of crackers like Super Tennis and ISS Deluxe - but MD would take that category. I'd say that the SNES would win the wildcard/misc. category though. 4-3 to the SNES.

You forgot beat 'em ups, which, as I've conclusively proved in this thread, the MD won. So four all.

Like fuck you have.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    First one was platformer/RPG, second and third were more pure platforming, fourth SNES one was again quite like an RPG.
    Did it appear on MD?

Not as far as I know. One of my favourite game series. Couldn't play 3 and 4 as they were Jap only though. So was 2, but it was mostly pure platforming. Aha, that must mean I was wrong above and 3 is RPGish too as I got stuck not knowing where to go and what to do.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Like fuck you have.

SNES SF2 Turbo is hard to beat - special controller or not.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Like fuck you have.

Conclusively proved.
  • @Yoss: I see your point, but I was trying to find a more 'objective' way to measure the better console, i.e. better games as measured by 'critics'. I guess such a thing is not really possible, everything is subjective and can be influenced by nostalgia. From which I conclude that this whole argument is retarded and that no one can ever claim one console is better than another. (That should've been obvious to me/us from the start, really.) I now claim this thread ended. For me, at least. 

Oh, the above also applies to your 'conclusive proof' of beat em ups being better on MD. Like fuck they are. :)

Ps. There are more SNES games than MD on every one of the seven top 100 list I've looked at so far. Just saying. ;)
  • davyK wrote:

I agree; as do Edge. It appeared on two of their top 100 lists as Arcade/SNES under format.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:

But seriously, both games had SSFII, which was the cream of 1v1 fighters and they were pretty much identical (more colours, better sound on SNES, perhaps, an extra game mode apparently on the MD, but the gameplay was the same), but only the MD had the Streets of Rage series which just wins the side-scrolling beat 'em up face off by being so best.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think that Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Dragon's Fury are still amongst the best in their respective genres.
    Absolutely. I haven't played Dragon's Fury though.

SNES got the sequel - Jaki Crush

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!