adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think the only argument we can bring to the table now that could rival this is Star Wars vs Star Trek.

Well it's Star Trek, obviously.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I don't.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • This argument is somewhat lacking in the vitriol of the SNES vs MD argument.
  • Dexter Fletcher era Gamesmaster or Bad Influence?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Dexter Fletcher era Gamesmaster or Bad Influence?

Or the Sky(?) show with Big Boy Barry?

• Bollockoff wrote:
    When's the annual SNES fan culling going ahead? A hound to catch the hound known as Revel.

Bring it on beard boy.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I think the only argument we can bring to the table now that could rival this is Star Wars vs Star Trek.

Well it's Star Trek, obviously.

New star trek is better than new prequel starwars.

Old star wars was better than star trek.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I think we should define some more rules in order to take this truly serious.  Everyone keeps saying SNES vs MD and stating that the SNES had the best jrpgs, but it didn't at all, the SFC did, the SNES had fuck all.  So are we considering everything from every region or just PAL?
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Many of us have touched on liking one more than the other because it's the one we owned as a kid which is a perfectly good reason. Because of that I'm gonna go for a different approach.

The following is a list of games for SNES that I actually played back in the day and have very fond memories of. That means some great games are missing such as DKC3 because of only playing it in recent years. Some games aren't even good and some are games that are better on something else, yes even the Mega Drive...

SNES:
    ActRaiser
    Alien³
    Axelay
    Batman Returns
    Cannon Fodder
    Castlevania: Dracula X
    Contra III: The Alien Wars
    Cybernator
    Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf
    Disney's Aladdin
    Disney's Goof Troop
    Donkey Kong Country
    Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    Doom
    F-Zero
    F1 ROC: Race of Champions
    FIFA International Soccer
    Final Fight
    Final Fight 2
    Firepower 2000
    Flashback: The Quest for Identity
    Gradius III
    International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
    Joe & Mac
    John Madden Football '93
    Killer Instinct
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse
    Mortal Kombat II
    NBA Jam
    NBA Live 95
    NHL '94
    Olympic Summer Games: Atlanta 1996
    Out of This World
    PGA Tour Golf
    Pilotwings
    Pushover
    Rock n' Roll Racing
    Saturday Night Slam Masters
    The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare
    Star Fox
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
    Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
    Street Racer
    Striker
    Stunt Race FX
    Super Castlevania IV
    Super Ghouls'n Ghosts
    Super Mario All-Stars
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    Super Metroid
    Super Punch-Out!!
    Super Smash TV
    Super Soccer
    Super Star Wars
    Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
    Super Tennis
    Syndicate
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
    Theme Park
    Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose
    Top Gear
    U.N. Squadron
    Wolfenstein 3D
    WWF Royal Rumble
    WWF Super WrestleMania
    Zombies Ate My Neighbors

On the flip side the following is a list of Mega Drive games I was massively jealous of:

MD:
    Altered Beast
    Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
    Castlevania: Bloodlines (Bayonetta 2 has nothing on the way I felt about this)
    Comix Zone
    Contra: Hard Corps
    Decap Attack
    Dynamite Headdy
    FIFA International Soccer
    Golden Axe
    Golden Axe II
    Gunstar Heroes
    Hellfire
    John Madden Football
    Mercs
    Mortal Kombat
    NHL Hockey
    Quackshot starring Donald Duck
    Ristar
    Road Rash
    Road Rash II
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Shadow Dancer
    Shadow of the Beast
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Space Harrier II
    Speedball 2
    Streets of Rage
    Streets of Rage 2
    Strider
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist
    Toughman Contest
    Thunder Force II
    ToeJam & Earl
    Vectorman
    World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
    Wrestle War

Not only is the SNES list bigger but if I was to make a list of 16Bit games I've played since or intend to play the SNES wins there to.

Both of these consoles are easily in my top 5 ever, I love them both. Good times!!!

If you don't like my list or disagree with something come at me and I'll explain why it's there.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Dexter Fletcher era Gamesmaster or Bad Influence?

Easily Bad Influence
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think we should define some more rules in order to take this truly serious.  Everyone keeps saying SNES vs MD and stating that the SNES had the best jrpgs, but it didn't at all, the SFC did, the SNES had fuck all.  So are we considering everything from every region or just PAL?
    I used to get a lot of US stuff (that was SNES, right?). Actually, a lot of the Enix games made it to PAL eventually, and so did Secret of Mana. FF3/6 and Chrono were the main US only ones. If we went for Jap stuff as well there's also Dragon Quest, which nobody has mentioned.

So yeah, Square and Enix were the difference in terms of RPGs, but depending on what you could get your hands on.

• Part 1 is him waffling a lot, 2 is where its at
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Is that what yank SNESs look like? Ugly things.
  • Ugly indeed, but full speed and no borders. Their controllers don't have the multicoloured buttons either.
  • 2nd model was nicer

snesmodel2set.jpg

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Mega Drive is a better name then Genesis.
  • The video was fairly entertaining, but the backwards compatible section was ropey!

If you can't judge the MD 6-button pad, then you shouldn't allow some dodgy 3rd party adaptor.
  • I thought that, I'm currently watching this which is touching on that very point

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • If you can't judge the MD 6-button pad, then you shouldn't allow some dodgy 3rd party adaptor.

The same point I made when I first saw it.  BIAS.
  • Some interesting early SMW images:
    25441103073img1163smjpg.jpg

untitlebetasuperfamicon.jpg

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've no problem with bias, that's exactly why this thread exists ;)
  • Moot & Yoss - What I have is the Yinlips ydpg19. The screen is great, the sound is good and surprisingly loud, the face buttons and d-pad are irritatingly noisy when pressed but otherwise good. The analogue is perfect.

That JXD gamepad thing is certainly more powerful - the yinlips does N64 okay but I don't think it would run PS2 roms - although I must say very much doubt the JXD would do so completely unproblematically.

The main draw of the yinlips for me was cost really - got one for £50 on ebay, so about half the price of that JXD. So not nearly as flash as that big white dual-core beast, but a very affordable way to play 16 bit roms which was mainly what I was after.

If you do get one of these Chinese handhelds you'd be advised to *never* do firmware updates on them, as they do tend to brick.

Do check out the obscure handhelds blog for quality writing on this sort of thing.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Some interesting early SMW images: 25441103073img1163smjpg.jpg untitlebetasuperfamicon.jpg untitlebetasuperfamicon.jpg untitlebetasuperfamicon.jpg

Awesome post!
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • It looks a lot like smb3!
  • Yeah a lot of the early sprites were from Mario 3, I think I remember reading it was also originally for the NES itself but production soon moved over the the SFC.

Here's some more:
    marworld.jpg

smw2.jpg

smw090790fmgasm.jpg

marioworldbeta9434.jpg

marioworldbeta04.jpg

marioworldbeta03.jpg

marioworldbeta02.jpg

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think I prefer SMB3 to SMW.

(both excellent games though)
  • monkey wrote:
    Beat em ups is the one genre Snes loses on. It wins convincingly on everything else. Prove me wrong.

Killer Instinct off the top of my head. Also Turtles Tournament Fighter was shite on the MD due to the 3 button controller, as was SF2.

I had neither console as a nipper, but played both a lot at friends houses, SNES is all round the better round console - that said Streets of Rage 2 and Gunstar Heroes have almost enough epic win between them to deal with most of the SNES catalogue.

EDIT: Oh right, I'm well late with this observation. Fuck you thread.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

I thought it was a general vs. question rather than forumites or PAL. By that I mean that I took the question to be which console was better regardless of what language you spoke and where you lived etc. So all games count.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Elf on a side note. I know your methodology isn't to everyone's liking but briefly looking at the lists how does the n64 hold up against the ps1? OoT vs ffvii I suppose.

I'll check when I get home. I do remember seeing quite a few PS1 games; but N64 games tend to be few but highest up. I don't think there's any question that OoT is number 1 when considering average position in these lists.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!