Gadgets, Tech, etc.
  • Err I would just get a cheap used business laptop perhaps. Can certainly get something decent for less than £200.
  • I managed to get my Thinkpad X230 "i7" for £180 or so, a couple of years ago. The main thing you want for responsiveness is an SSD as the drive for Windows and your programs.
  • I've had some bad experiences and really don't trust used electronics, do you know of anywhere trustworthy that gives a decent (at least a year) warranty and won't quibble about intermittent problems?
  • For £200 I would take a punt tbh, any issues immediately apparent and you can return through ebay, otherwise you can get most of the spare parts reasonably easily and cheaply for something like a Thinkpad. It's actually properly user serviceable.

I daresay there are places that refurbish and offer a little warranty.

Looks like the X230 is still one of the better choices around for that kind of money, it's actually better than it's successors in some ways.
  • I'd rather give her the extra myself than risk having to fix it for her, especially since I've no idea about diagnosing what a problem actually is these days, but it'd certainly work for some.
  • Does the X230 i7 have an ssd version?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Just found my answer. Surprising what a Google search can help with.

There are a lot of variations of this Thinkpad, Gurt. What's your exact model? Or what would you recommend. I assume it is Lenovo.
  • A laptop with Ubuntu installed (or another Linux distro) plus a ssd will be pretty quick. I replaced the hard disk on an old laptop with a cheap ssd and it just flys. Helps if you avoid Windows OS
  • three1ne wrote:
    Just found my answer. Surprising what a Google search can help with. There are a lot of variations of this Thinkpad, Gurt. What's your exact model? Or what would you recommend. I assume it is Lenovo.

It has an 'i7' 3520m (hyperthreaded dual core, so 4 threads), rest is mostly standard I think. I asked the seller if he would sell it for cheaper with the HDD and RAM removed as I would be replacing them straight away, it arrived with the hard drive and RAM anyway. The i5 version is the same processor with just a slightly lower top clock speed, so another solid choice. Models after that started using the 'u' version CPUs which were low power and more efficient but weaker than the predecessors, my old X230 is about as quick as a modern Macbook.

Oooh there was one thing about the X230 that might be tricky though, there are TN and IPS screen versions. IPS is much preferable for off-angle viewing and colours, maybe not such a bother for documents and stuff? If the seller doesn't specify you can send a message asking them, though many don't reply.

If it comes with a hard drive then you can chuck in something like this in it's place - https://www.mymemory.co.uk/integral-120gb-p-series-5-sata-iii-2-5-ssd-drive-560mb-s.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImqLW5dO12gIVwbgbCh16ygaXEAkYAiABEgLhp_D_BwE Essential for that snappy response, that one is probably not the top performer, but should be close enough.

Oh yeah definitely go the Linux route for speed and no bloat.

If it's tricky to find sources for a Thinkpad then do look at comparable machines from maybe Dell or Toshiba, plenty of good used laptops around. They key thing is spare parts like the keyboard and stuff, and especially get one with a removable battery. I have a big extended one in my X230 which does the job nicely, and doubles as a really good handle for carrying around and holding it up with one hand. Also look at the non-X Thinkpads, the T models probably. Bit bigger so not as portable, but will probably have faster processors and more ports. There's a Thinkpad Reddit which is a good place to ask for specific models to look out for.
  • Great advice, Gurt. Really appreciated.
  • Key things to make sure you get and to ask questions about; IPS screen (if that's desirable for the use case), SSD of 120GB capacity or greater (X230 can take an MSATA or 2.5" form factor, MSATA requires opening it up to get access, which is reasonably easy), 8GB of RAM, and you can forgo an operating system if you go the Linux route.

Certainly cheap options out there, sometimes just a case of asking the seller about configuration, and weighing up whether to go barebones and fill in the RAM/SSD yourself with deals you've found. There are sellers like this supposedly offering a year's warranty too.
  • Can anyone recommend a robust, ideally fire-proof USB drive to use to backup critical files from laptops/phones etc?
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a robust, ideally fire-proof USB drive to use to backup critical files from laptops/phones etc?
    ioSafe, they aren't cheap though.
  • How much data are we talking? Just sticking it on a few services like Dropbox and Mega.nz might be a better solution.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a robust, ideally fire-proof USB drive to use to backup critical files from laptops/phones etc?
    ioSafe, they aren't cheap though.

Thanks, will look into them.

AJ, yar, probably, but that requires those services to continue to exist.  Admittedly, a physical solution relies on that hardware not failing.
  • That's why I suggested multiple, just in case one disappears without warning. Though I've never heard of that happening. Pretty sure there's apps that'll let you back up to Amazon S3, that'll probably last longer than we will.

If you're concerned enough about stuff to want something fireproof, you really want to be putting things in multiple locations. I think most of the services will cover that for you.
  • Yeah, I get that, thanks.  I've already suggested off-site backup is a better option and that's probably what we'll do.

Also, Photobucket suddenly announced they were going to hold years' worth of image hosting to ransom, and having not read the EULA of dropbox etc. in detail I'm assuming there's nothing to stop them doing the same at some point.
  • Thought you probably knew, just wanted to be sure.

Photobucket's always seemed a bit sus, if you ask me, but I imagine that, since they're specifically backup solutions not photo sharing sites, any known name in the arena would have been ripped a new one by Reddit etc. if their licencing let them do anything like that.

Personally, I'd keep a standard drive with a copy of everything local and back that up online somewhere. Chances of the drive failing and the service going under at the same time seem pretty slim and either is easy to restore from the other. Or, at least, that's what I'm meant to be setting up for my sister, I don't have any files I'd be that bothered if I lost myself.
  • Really? Nothing at all?
  • Nope. There's a DVD of stuff I did at uni that I'd probably mourn for a few seconds, but I've never been a person that takes photos and don't have a music or video collection.
  • Unlikely@ backup stuff to a HD, put the HD in a fireproof box. that would be cheaper.
  • I would hide the hard drive down a well.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d be amazed if a fireproof box actually protected your data in the event of a fire. Enough heat for long enough will surely melt the copper in the circuitry.

I’m not even sure that a fireproof drive would survive a full on house fire.
  • Plenty of places you can take it to get the data off if it's still on the platters. Dunno if heat affects magnetised things or not.
  • I store my important data offsite, on a hard drive in my drawer at work.

Now I realise that won't help here. But multiple physical backups at different sites is always my preferred solution.
  • AJ wrote:
    Plenty of places you can take it to get the data off if it's still on the platters. Dunno if heat affects magnetised things or not.

It do.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’d be amazed if a fireproof box actually protected your data in the event of a fire. Enough heat for long enough will surely melt the copper in the circuitry. I’m not even sure that a fireproof drive would survive a full on house fire.

Dunno about a much more prolonged and intense scenario, but they look reasonably well protected. The Canadian tech twerp did a vid some years ago:

• WorKid wrote:
    I store my important data offsite, on a hard drive in my drawer at work. Now I realise that won't help here. But multiple physical backups at different sites is always my preferred solution.

Ta.  As it happens offsite backup is exactly the solution we agreed last night.
  • Got me some of these. Love them. Took me a while to love them because they are very balanced so don't blow your socks off straight away but the more you listen the more you appreciate. I didn't really even care about the bluetooth part but they were such a good price i went for it and now i'm converted, bluetooth for the win. 

https://www.whathifi.com/akg/y50bt/review

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!