Country Music
  • Just one more I promise.  Probably the umpteenth time I've posted this but it's a worldie.  Does all the things a right-in-the-breadbasket blue-collar country track needs to.    

Miles better than the eventual album version too.

• Haim have gone a little bit country on this track! It's my favourite from their excellent new album.

Also recently rediscovered some hoedown shit I liked a few years back.

(you can almost see the girls' ankles in the thumbnail. Sorry for posting something that gratuitous)
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Nothing new, well apart from being new of course, but then I doubt anyone really wants that from her

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

• Poor Josh Widdicome can't catch a break :(.  Love that harp sound (assuming it is a harmonica, I'm terrible at naming instruments).
  • Haha

Yeah always assumed it was a harmonica, but now that you mention it... 

Google's no help; his website doesn't work and his wiki only covers stuff after this album lol
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Iso Lounging is back for a while, not watched yet, but loved the ones from the start of lockdown, so welcome back Amanda

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • James Mcmurtry, fackinell. Can't add much more because I'm wasted and on my phone. Big love to nick for a tit for tat yiutube sesh. Mcmurtry just hits it, Ruby & Carlos is Cohen levels of songwriting.
  • Waaayyyy much love xxxxx
  • Currently doing a 'what did I post last night' scan of the forum :eyes:
  • Felice Brothers and Conor Oberst rolling playlist for me tonight, with a sprinkling of Prine. Large oof music. :Thumbs:
  • Will watch, not against the casting of Rockwell.
  • Yeah should be good, like Rockwell. Don't know much/any of the director's stuff but I think they're reasonably rated. Haggard had an interesting life too by the sounds of it (was in San Quentin when Cash did his first gig).
  • I’ll watch most things with Rockwell in. I like the idea (in the comments on that report) of Eastwood as director.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention this, but seems that Bloodshot Records is in a lot of strife, much of it going back to the predatory behaviour towards Lydia, which she talked about early last year, and possible in the documentary. Good on Bloodshot, just hope someone can come in and rescue it
    Hey folks. Nan Warshaw is forcing the sale of Bloodshot Records and withholding money owed to artists. Sharing this is my decision in full and I was not prompted to do so by anyone in the Bloodshot camp.

The statement below was sent to all current roster artists yesterday by the non-ownership staff at Bloodshot.
    PLEASE read the letter below for full context before commenting.

I want to be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR and say that my problem is NOT with bloodshot. It is with the other part-owner (Warshaw), holding the company hostage after she was rightfully forced-out for choosing to protect a sexual predator over the artist he preyed on.

Rob and the staff at bloodshot have done nothing but fight for me, tooth and nail, since I signed with them a year and a half ago. I thought hard about sharing this, but ultimately decided I was not okay with Nan not having to face this publicly.

This is the crop reaped from the seeds sown by sexual assault. Take it very seriously, and please hold the right people accountable. And do whatever you can to put a stop to this kind of bullshit in your own industry/workplace

YDHMRzX.jpg

JsByl1H.jpg
  • Sounds like a right pickle.  Team Lydia forever.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    New album incoming, September, self released, first video up there somewhere ^^
  • cockbeard wrote:
    New album incoming, September, self released, first video up there somewhere ^^

Liked the song and the leather strides.  Was wondering what the vid was all about. 

Slowly getting into Jesse Daniel, both his albums are decent.  

Good fun, cracking final minute:

Check out those Bakersfield chops though, the man might have it:

• This I had one of his in my discover earlier in the year, definite chops on the guy and it's right up my street for that 'just finished work on a Friday' feels.

• Triple denim on the drummer :chef's kiss:
  • That version probably edges the album version too, good stuff.
  • LP version in particular is heavily reminiscent of this one imo:

• That SR-22 vid's great, making me want to brush up on my flat picking.
  • Corb Lund's another name I definitely came across at some point since lockdown. There's too much to listen to.
  • One of your colleagues put you onto him iirc.
  • On bloody popped up my list just now:

• New Peck EP Show Pony dropped, not immediately grabbing me on a first listen but then again the same happened with Pony last year and I ended up having that as my album of the year. Taking it for a second spin now, oddly it doesn't have the Bronski Beat cover on it... maybe saved for a full album.

Shania Twain collab didn't grab me at first but I do enjoy that chorus:

• Quite like that!  That's the first Peck track to click with me, really should give him another go.
  • Ok here are my Peck-Picks and gushing then.

This was the track that kicked me off (Take You Back (The Iron Hoof Cattle Call)), popped up on my discover weekly last year and I loved the spaghetti western whistling vibes, the whip cracks etc, and that album cover... who tf was this dude with the fetish mask and cowboy outfit?

Checked the album out and whilst it didn't blow me away instantly, couple of things stood out, it had this kinda eerie vibe to it. This album opener (Dead of Night) had me a bit puzzled, but when he lets loose at 1m26s I thought wtf, this is Roy Orbison tier vocals... what a voice. Checked the video out and the strong Lynch vibes really appealed:

Kept coming back to the album every day, a couple of days in and I had it on heavy rotation. My favourite from the Pony album is probably Roses Are Falling, I'm just an absolute sucker for that chord progression and I love the simplicity of the song; I can imagine Buddy Holly doing it, or Frank Booth listening to it during a psychotic episode in Blue Velvet. I was really happy to find that halfway through the video for Queen of the Rodeo (another great pick from the album) he does the entirety of Roses with again strong Lynch/Blue Velvet vibes - from 2m57s in this vid:

Seeing his live streams and videos, he just comes across like a really likeable, genuine guy too, loves and is passionate about country music. It's also great that the queer/lgbt+ community have a new country star who doesn't give af about what a country star is meant to conform to, packs his videos with drag queens, moustachioed trans people, queers, straights, everything, and gives gay/bi whatever country fans a new outlet. Props.

Saw him live last year supporting Mac DeMarco and it was funny, the crowd was almost entirely younger folks there for the main act, but throughout the crowd you'd see one or two cowboy hats. I think the people around me were confused when I knew all the hooks to this weird curtain-faced cowboy's songs. I left after Orville finished, loved it.

Anyway, Pony was the epitome of a grower album for me, first listen I thought it had one or two good songs, but a few spins later I loved it, it really holds together thematically for me too, got a strong vibe through the whole thing. Likewise I didn't think I'd get on with Show Pony as much, but I've had a couple of songs regularly creep into my head from it since yesterday (Summertime, No Glory In The West so far).

Looking forward to another full album :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!