Country Music
  • Cheers for that Nick!  Great write up.  And listening to those 3 tracks, I'm not sure why I didn't get into the album.  Will re-download it.

Might have just come down to expectations; IE not being sure if he was taking the piss or not, with his persona.  You post has cleared it up though.  He's an intriguing dude.  Will go for a long walk tomorrow and give him a proper listen.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Glad you liked! Let me know what you think of the album after a revisit.

Last thing I swear, here's Orville just being a thoroughly likeable chap, I love his enthusiasm, his bit on Merle Haggard cracks me up :)

• After a listen - think you described it pretty in that it has a distinct eerie vibe - and I couldn't tell you which song was my favourite but enjoyed it.  Like right now, I mostly just remember the general sound, and that he did a really understated 'yee haw' at one point.  Takes me a while to figure this stuff out!  Will give it a regular run over the coming weeks!
  • I've really tried, and I didn't want to post until I was sure, but I don't think I like any of Peck's recent tracks.  His parts on the Twain duet just sound like karaoke.  

Conversely, the more I listen to the previous album the more it grows on me.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    His parts on the Twain duet just sound like karaoke.

And why does the angel's banjo sound like a pedal steel?
  • That feeling when you suddenly remember something you wore out, revisit it and AHA, it's fresh again.  

Didn't know she had The Sadies with her at the time, was just listening to some of their stuff because they sound slightly Peckish.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've really tried, and I didn't want to post until I was sure, but I don't think I like any of Peck's recent tracks.  His parts on the Twain duet just sound like karaoke.   Conversely, the more I listen to the previous album the more it grows on me.

New EP hasn't been on heavy rotation like Pony, but those two tracks I mentioned do still reverberate around my head most days. I have faith for a new full release, and there's enough from Show Pony that I can pick out and nibble on whilst dipping back into the great Pony.
  • After a listen - think you described it pretty in that it has a distinct eerie vibe - and I couldn't tell you which song was my favourite but enjoyed it.  Like right now, I mostly just remember the general sound, and that he did a really understated 'yee haw' at one point.  Takes me a while to figure this stuff out!  Will give it a regular run over the coming weeks!

I think that eerie, lost-record vibe is what's missing from the new EP tbh. Still, it's an EP, not an LP, so will be interested to see what he drops next.
  • I enjoyed his shit-eating grin behind the mask all the way through the video for the Shania Twain duet.

• Shots fired, strong track.  Guitars remind me of Heaven, but that's fine as it was my favourite on the last record.
  • New Colter, album drops next Friday.

• Quality, didn't know he had one due.
  • Sad to read about Justin Townes Earle passing away this week at just 38.  I don't know his music that well - I really liked his album Midnight At The Movies when it came out, but for whatever reason never checked out anything else.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/justin-townes-earle-cause-of-death-overdose-1048841/

• Damn.  Harlem River Blues was the only album I properly latched on to of the three I own - hit a nice sweet spot between rough & ready and polished -  but there's enough good things on the others to warrant further listening.  Will check out Midnight at the Movies. 

• Was on the new Colter Wall album this morning, didn't get it finished before I got to the pick up point for work but wowee it's got some instant wins on it.  The cover of Big Iron was unexpected but absolutely perfect and High & Mighty is outstanding.  Please be album of the year, going back in now.
  • I doubt he'll post it here but Mr. Nick_MD does an impressive cover of The Devil Wears a Suit and Tie.  :Eyes emoji:
  • Nice, I forgot Colter's album was dropping - Glad that early impressions are strong.  Will check it out, and those JTE tracks, when I get home tonight.  

Oh cool, would love to hear Nick's cover!  A great man is our Nick.
  • Two listens, it's in the mix with the other two.  Bit toe-tappier.

@g.man

• Couple of spins through the new Colter, enjoying. At the moment not sure where it sits with his other albums, I think Song Of The Plains is still my favourite of his.

Do love me some talkin' blues, even if this is just 13 Silver Dollars with different lyrics:

I do indeed do an alright Devil... although my go to is Saskatchewan 1881 :nice:
  • Not enough people talk about ‘Western swing’ as a genre these days. It was having a bit of a moment when I lived in Oregon (probably on the back of the Squirrel Nut Zippers having a hit album in the mainstream charts), and there were Western swing bands playing in beer gardens all over the place. Good times.
  • Recording sounds pretty 'echoey' on this LP to me, what do you guys think? I don't mind it particularly, but it's standing out a bit. Maybe my ears are just off.
  • Yep it definitely sounds like off the cuff live performances, studio gloss minimal. Someone walks around the room during one of the tracks and nearly puts him off.
  • Haven't stuck my head in here for a while, so I dont know if it's been mentioned - 'Feet off the Ground' by Brent Cobb & Jade Bird. So so so good. Just a lovely, beautiful, laid back and slightly schmaltzy bit of country.
  • Funny you should say that because Tidal keeps playing Brent Cobb after the Colter Wall album finishes and I've really latched onto Keep 'em on They Toes. Don't think I'd heard of him before Friday. Will give that one a listen.
  • Very impressed with the new Colter after a few listens!  Yeah, not sure what to make of the really lofi recordings on some of the songs.  I don't think it bothers me.  Maybe looking back I'll wish he polished those tracks a bit more.  For now at least it's a great listen all the way through.

LOL @ the door opening and closing on one of the tracks.  I reckon you can hear someone turning on a tap during the last one!  

High and Mighty has been my go-to when I just want a quick blast.
  • Loving it too.  There's nothing on it as good as Bald Butte and it's not as strong a record as Songs of the Plains overall but it's still a big fat very welcome [8] for me. 

Trying to get into Bill Callahan again as I'm fed up with being told how much I'd like him.  Or rather, I'm fed up with the fact that I feel like I should appreciate him more than I do.  Revisited two albums this morning and it's still a feeling of like rather than love.  I get the fomo with Van Morrison and Bonnie Prince Billy too.  

Dream River just finished and Tidal selected King Creosote/Jon Hopkins' John Taylor's Month Away as the next track, which is one of my faves from the past ten years.  Plus I saw a photo of Callahan standing in front of a massive John Prine mural in Mojo this morning.  Things should be adding up but they're not quite.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I get the fomo with Van Morrison and Bonnie Prince Billy too.

And then Will Oldham pops up as a voice actor in Kentucky Route Zero.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!