The Grizzly Badger Tail. CH40 The DJR
  • Yay!  Somehow missed this when it first appeared.  Really enjoyed it as ever.  Have a wheat free Scooby Snack Rev.
  • Thank you tin. Glad you're enjoying it.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Brooks took a small sip from the glass to the left of his laptop. He let the liquid settle and felt the warmth of the alcohol inside his cheeks, enjoyed the smell of the oak and honey as it hit the roof of his mouth and the inside of his nose. He refilled his glass from the bottle that was next to the glass and took another larger sip.
    A slight breeze was coming from the air con. He stretched his neck to the left and then to the right and felt a satisfactory crack. He reached for the small remote and turned off the air con for the time being. He rubbed his eyes gently because they felt dry. He actually rubbed them because he thought they were full of paint again. He stopped himself and remembered where he was. He remembered the chuckle in his ears, the hysterical mad laughter ringing in his ears.
    He had given up logging back in. He tracked what he could through the various threads. He mainly looked at g.man’s thread as he made his way up the mountain with the help of the others. He switched between the Fightmen, The Halols and the Shmuppers thread, it seemed that progress was being made.
    He was confident they would solve what was going on, the confidence from the bottle had helped somewhat.
    Overriding his confidence though was his memory. All he could see in his mind’s eye was walking into that room and having the paint falling on him. The pain from his nose being broken as something was forced on to it. Running away from that voice, falling again and again. The horrible sound of the boom tish. The continual boom tish.
    The pain of hitting the window.
    Someone shouting at him, picking him up.
    The pain of dying.
    As soon as he died, he had been logged out, as part of Petey’s plan to keep the badgers safe.
    The shock of what had happened was so fresh that he thought for a minute he was going to lose his mind. He was thinking he had. He had opened his eyes and shouted out, stuffing his hand in his mouth when he realised his neighbours might hear him. He had almost dropped his laptop on the ground as he stood up. He had frantically scanned the room he was in, checking to see if there was anyone else there. The room was empty except for the basics that he liked to have around him. His work desk with the partially completed arcade stick, the well-used book case. The gentle light from the answer machine. The Flat Screen Television with the Xbox underneath.
    He moved quickly to the kitchen and grabbed a knife from the magnetic strip above the work surface. He realised his breathing was fast and shallow and he tried without much success to calm himself. He held the knife out in front of him like a torch. He looked in the direction of the door to his apartment. It was locked. The chain was in place. No one had got in and no one was likely unless they were happy to climb up three floors.
    He had then checked around the rest of the apartment until he felt reassured he was alone. He wasn’t happy until he had checked it four times to make sure that no one was hiding. Every time he checked the bathroom he had ended up staring at himself in the mirror, checking himself over for any signs of injury and making sure all of the paint was out of his eyes. He forgot for a second that he could no longer change his appearance. On his final sweep, he filled the sink with cold water and splashed it on his face. The water must have been too cold because he started to shake slightly. He grabbed a towel from the rail and dabbed his face dry before removing some fluff that had stuck to his stubble from the towel. He looked again at his reflection in the mirror, tried to gather himself and let out a small sigh of derision before walking back to the kitchen, taking a glass from the work top and filling it from the ice machine on the front of the fridge. He grabbed a bottle from the rack, removed the lid to a rewarding crackling sound and poured himself a measure, which he downed in one. Then poured himself another. The laughter in his head died down after the third.
    He sat back down with his glass and bottle, the laptop purring quietly to the side of him. It took another measure, which he took his time with, for him to even pick it up and put it back on his lap.
    He sat for almost half an hour, staring at the closed lid, unsure whether to open it and see what was happening. He started drumming his fingers out of nervousness on the lid. He did not know if he was going to end up back in that place and if he did, would he be trapped in a lifeless body?
    His curiosity managed to overcome his apprehension, and he opened the lid, entered his password and the web browser opened. He moved the mouse pointer up to the address bar, typed the letter B and pressed enter as the address appeared. He was logged out and the box for login was no longer there.
    His curiosity changed to disappointment, and this gave in to the anger he felt for what had happened. He wanted back in. He wanted to find out who had attacked him and make them pay for making a fool of him, for dressing him up like a clown. For taking away his control.
    He took another sip from his glass, took a deep breath and lurked through the threads to catch up with the events in the forum.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Very nice. Have I been mentioned yet?
  • Brooks blinked for a second, as though he was shutting out a memory and continued wading through the bottles towards the shore of bear island..
  • Hulka T wrote:
    Very nice. Have I been mentioned yet?
    no. But all requests are included.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's like Neo unplugging from the matrix.
  • Yeah, I thought it was time the boy got a bit of a back story as to the whys.
  • Indeed.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Bit of a departure I know.
  • Chapter Fifteen point one.

Brooks wondered why there were so many bottles. He continued to kick them to the side of him as he reached the shore. He even wondered where they could be coming from.  Maybe the source was out there, somewhere dropping bottle after bottle into the sea.

The beach looked different from the other island, there was a mixture of sand and shale, interspersed with larger pebbles and stones. On some of the stones were seaweed, limpet shells and lichen. It was almost like the whole beach was a mish mash of well, beaches.

There was no central mountain to this island, there was a range of hills that ran across the centre. At one point they stopped abruptly, then started some fifty metres further on. It was almost as if someone had stopped making the hill, then changed their mind and continued further down the road.

The main thought that went through his head was that this place was abandoned. This place that he was now walking on was unfinished. He noticed as he walked pass some marram grass that they were only two dimensional. If he looked at it from the side, it was completely invisible. Further around the shore he could see what looked like the part wreckage of a room, with part of a wall still standing and the rest of it lying in piles of rubble.

He closed his eyes for a second, and concentrated on the area around him and decided to move in the opposite direction from the wreckage. It seemed like the right thing to do. The area near the collapsed room seemed ‘occupied’. He didn’t feel he was ready to face anyone. Whether it be another person, or an errant spambot.  He wondered for a second of any of them had made it over to this side of the island. He made it a priority in his mind to make sure he found something to defend himself in the event of an encounter.

He still didn’t feel confident enough to face anything without some kind of protection.

Was this what he was reduced to now? Being afraid of electronic shadows that couldn’t hurt him any more than a bullet when he was playing a game? Though he knew what it was like to die in this place and even though he made it the other side, he could no longer deny that it had changed him in more ways than he had really wanted to admit to himself.

He had been thinking too much again and now he realised that he had not been keeping a track of where he had been walking. He stopped suddenly in his tracks.  Ahead of him was a door.  It wasn’t connected to a wall, it was a door sitting ajar in a frame. It was standing up like some strange wooden tombstone and this unnerved him.  He made his way tentatively towards the door, picking up a large stone as he approached. Sitting on the ground in front of the door was a mat.  Written on the mat was ‘WELCOME!’ He wondered if it was an unconstructed thread.

Brooks tossed the stone gingerly so it hit the door and it opened further. He picked up a slightly smaller stone this time and threw it through the open door.

It landed on the other side without any incident. It was what it looked like, an open door in a frame in the middle of a patch of ground. Nothing strange about that whatsoever. Brooks decided that discretion was the better part of valour and walked around the door and continued on his way.

The unfinished island continued to throw up surprises, with more two dimensional scenery, unfinished flora, and at one point the top part of a tree simply floating in mid-air.  At this point Brooks had armed himself with a heavy length of wood. There seemed to be nothing so far in terms of machinery or equipment similar to badger island.  So far anyway.

Blurum must have removed anything that was useful from the island. All that was left here was the scraps, the leftovers. He had to try to be positive because the logical side of him believed that somewhere on here was another control room. There would probably be the prototypes of all the other threads as well. He just had to find it.  In the control room would be the way to switch on the spam filters and save the islands. In the control room would be the records of everything that had ever happened, details of every action and conversation. Details of everyone’s profile that had ever been here, whether they be real or spambot. He could stop any more from arriving, he could delete the ones that were already there.

He knew if he had to delete one of the infected guys, then in theory they had their real bodies to go back to.

Like him.

If you had a real body to go back to then it wouldn’t matter what happened to you here.

He had been through the painful truth of that first hand.

Now, just thinking this through, if the spambots have a profile and guys all had a profile, then surely they had a profile? Both of them?

If you deleted someone who didn’t exist in real life then they wouldn’t have anywhere to go, would they?

Brooks allowed himself the briefest smile before he realised what he was planning to do.

He was saving the island, he was saving his friends.

He was willing to accept that he might have to make difficult choices.

He closed his eyes once more, and allowed his mind to settle. It was almost similar to looking at a one of those magic images that you used to get on coke cans. You couldn’t focus too hard on the image otherwise it simply wouldn’t appear in 3D, you had to learn to relax your vision. As soon as you did that, then you would see the space rocket and the stars floating just above the can on front of your eyes. Brooks wasn’t looking at a can in his hand. He was looking at the whole island. He stopped his breathing completely for a second and tried to focus on the slight breeze passing through his hair. He managed to catch the image for the briefest of time, but it was enough for him to know which direction he should be heading in.

He started to walk towards where he thought was the control room for bear island.

His spirits were lifted again and he was filled with purpose.

He then noticed the sign sticking out of the ground. It was white, about a foot high and was staked into the ground. It had an arrow pointing upwards. Brooks guessed that meant straight on.

The writing on the sign was small and compact and Brooks had to bend over to read it. It said.

‘Welcome to the understanding of the architecture or geographical structure of the island. Here we will instruct you on how the island is. Though you must ask yourself, did we create the island or is the island deciding what it will be. Are we shaping by building? Or are we being told where to build. We must discuss this further. Please follow the arrows for further information.’

Brooks read the sign again and again.

He realised he might have to make some choices sooner than he thought.
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    :D

Interesting times...
    The janitor.
  • Thank you man. It's going to get very interesting hopefully.
  • I AM INTERESTED!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Unfinished Flora - mrs reg makes it in to a story
  • Ha ha. Not intended
  • Have another guest chapter coming soon.

• MattyJ laid there in his makeshift bed, he couldn't sleep. Everything he had been through was playing on his mind, it didn't help that his roommate snored either. It also unnerved him that his roommate appeared to be a goat.
    He didn't like the idea of his fellow badger's dying, who was behind this cull? He racked his brain trying to find reason to it all.....but OH MY GOD COULD YOU SNORE ANY LOUDER?! He decided to go for a walk.

Matty had refused the offer of pyjamas and slippers and was still in his clothes. He got up quietly, sneaked passed the snoring ungulate, out of the house and made his way to the beach, cicadas filling the air with their tuneful clicking. The town was weird, the houses had an odd way of being bigger, much bigger on the inside, 'The Doctor has a lot to answer for.' he thought to himself.

He walked down the ramp and heard his feet crunch onto the sand. In the distance he could see the wreckage of the room. It no longer fitted in with the demeanour of the place, he figured they'd probably need to tidy it up at some point. Sharks bumped their way along the shore, he took a deep breath, then sighed 'This place is weird.' A way down the beach he spied a makeshift fire, a figure sat next to it, he decided to go investigate.

"Can't sleep either?" Fentoniser asked as he heard Matty's footsteps encroach upon his earshot. He was turning his sword over and over the fire cooking a fish.
    "Nah," Matty flumped down on the opposite side of the fire and lay staring at the sky, "it's been a tough couple of days."
    "Mmm hm." Fenton agreed munching on his fish.
    "Just so much gone on, I'm still trying to process it all." Matty pushed himself up so he was reclining on his elbows "How about you?"
    "Not really into the whole anthropomorphic animal thing. They freak me out." Fenton looked up "Figured I'd be more comfortable under the stars."
    Matty sniggered. "I can relate, in a way." Fenton cocked an eyebrow at him "My roommate snores."
    "This is a weird place though. Very colourful, the people seem overly cheerful too, almost like it’s being put on? Like something else is going on. It’s hard to tell the emotions on a cat’s face. I can't complain though, food and other company, that's good to me." Fenton smiled while picking his teeth with a fishbone.

Matty smiled back and allowed himself to lay back down. He listened to the gentle sound of the waves and stared at the stars. *yawn* "Mind if I kip here tonight man?"
    "Be my guest," Fenton motioned with his left hand "it's a free beach I'm sure."
    "Thanks, I want to get a couple of hours at least before we head off again and have a look around this place." Matty rolled over onto his side "Be a dear and put the light out when you're done." He joked.

Kefir shot bolt upright in his bed, the moonlight pouring into the room through the un-curtained window granting the room a rather ethereal look it, quite frankly, didn’t deserve. Dozily he gazed around the room, everything seemed in place: Exotic dresser, exotic table, exotic bureau, empty hammock, exotic screen, exotic chair……empty hammock? His eyes shot open, he leapt off of the bed and dashed over to the hammock. Where was Matty, had he gone out for a wander? How long had he been gone for? What if something had happened to him?
    Kefir paced back and forth, wondering what to do. He looked out the window, a clear night, ‘He should be alright….’ Kefir thought to himself. ‘I’ll go and look for him anyway. Just in case.’

Kefir put on his dressing gown and walked out the front door. The cicadas still clicking away into the night. A light breeze danced through the town, chilling the air somewhat. Kefir pulled his dressing gown together and started walking, as slowly as his little goat legs would carry him. He started towards the beach, past the money rock, left from the wishing well, he jumped as a startled stag beetle flew off as he brushed past a tree ‘If only I’d had my net.’ He sighed to himself. As he crossed the suspension bridge over the river he heard a murmuring coming from underneath.
    He stopped in his tracks.
    “Hello?” He called quietly. The murmuring continued. “Hello?” He called a little bit louder, and the murmuring stopped. “Is that you? Maatty?”
    "Who’s that trip trapping across my bridge?" questioned the voice from below the bridge.
    “Maatty? Is that you? I woke up and couldn’t see you maaan, so thought I’d come looking for you.” Kefir finished crossing the bridge and turned to go around the side and look underneath. “I just wanted to make sure……you….were..” There was a flurry of movement as a shape flew up from the bridge and landed on its feet. "okay?"
    A figure loomed over him and smiled. Kefir smiled back but this little billy goat had trip trapped for his last time.

A seagull shrieking overhead shocked Matty awake, he pushed himself off of the sand and looked out to sea. Nothing, well, just the usual sea creatures bumping along the shoreline, but other than that, nothing. He turned to look around him and noticed that the campfire had burnt out and Fenton was gone. ‘Typical Fenton.’ He mused. He yawned, stretched, then slowly stood up his brushed his hands down himself to remove the sand from his clothing and stretched again.
    He had slept far longer than he had meant to.
    Looking back out to sea he wondered what the other badgers were doing. How were they faring against the spambots? Had anyone else fallen? Was g.man telling someone off again? He had to admit to himself, he kind of missed them. The discussion, the laughter, the arguments, it kind of felt, empty, without it all. Begrudgingly he turned away from the ocean and started back inland, ascending the ramp off the beach and back to the overly colourful town.

A gentle breeze intermittently drifted through the town. As Matty passed under a tree he reached up and plucked off an apple. He rubbed it against his sleeve and took a bite, it wasn’t perfect, but it was good. Heading towards the mayor’s office he was pleased to see his fellow badgers integrating into the (rather bizarre) community. Raziel was watering plants with a giant bunny, Djornson was smashing rocks with his axe, Speedhaak had disappeared….again, Roujin was on top of a house having a snooze and EvilRedEye was running around chasing insects with a butterfly net like a crazy child.
    The place seemed to have a sort of influence, it didn’t make you forget your troubles, but it made you feel happier about them, even if it was only a little bit. The insects weren’t gross, something about them made you want to hold them, sharks could be caught with fishing rods….Matty’s mind flashed back to Outlaw running past him carrying a whale shark she had just caught, he still had no idea how someone so small could carry something so large. He was conscious that as much as they were enjoying themselves, they were wasting time. It was at that point, he bumped into her, neither of them had been watching where they were going.

"Oh, Hi Outlaw." Matty said as he picked himself up off the ground.
    "Hi, there. Sorry about that" Outlaw shifted uncomfortably "Have you seen Kefir?" She was wearing a pair of dragon leggings, a fish tee, hiking boots, and what appeared to be a bulbous purple nose with a zigzag moustache. Matty found her inability to co-ordinate her wardrobe somewhat endearing.
    In a confused manner Matty responded "Who?"
    Outlaw got to her feet "The goat you were sharing a house with? Horns and hooves and stuff? It’s just that we haven't seen him. He's normally pulling weeds right about now, but we can't find him and he's not at his house."
    "Maybe he took the train somewhere?"
    "Yes..." Outlaw tailed off "The train, of course."
    "Something the matter?"
    "No, nothing. Carry on." She turned to walk away.
    "You sure?"
    "Well, it's just that everyone is so happy here, people get off the train, but they never go anywhere on it, and yet...."
    "Yet?........"
    "Animals keep disappearing. I have 3 houses up behind Kefir's that are empty. Their owners just....vanished."
    Outlaw shrugged her shoulders and the both of them sat down while Outlaw explained how each of them had gone, suddenly and without notice. One of them even vanished in the middle of the day. The other animals seemed to have no idea what was going on and seemed to swan around in their own little world.
    "They pay attention to me and since you guys have arrived, they chase them around and talk to them, but ask them about each other, and all you got was a blank stare and a comment about gossiping."
    At this point she got up and left Matty to his thoughts.

Matty was just confused. Why were the animals disappearing? Where exactly were they going? How come they were all from over this side? He wasn’t surprised the other animals hadn’t noticed, you could take an axe to one of them in broad daylight and the others wouldn’t bat an eyelid, not that Matty had tried. They seemed to be stuck in the same routines from what he has seen of them so far. The animals ran around with spades and watering cans and fishing rods, but you never really saw them using them much.
    The more he thought about it the more it started to sound like a bad episode of Scooby Doo, he half expected to find a merman sitting on a pile of animal bones somewhere whose face he’d rip off to find Old Man Weller had been behind everything, if only one of the resident animals was a talking Great Dane.

Matty went back to Kefir’s house to have a look around. Just to see if there was anything unusual. To see if there was A CLUE. What he did find though was the most wonderful walk in wardrobe ever with such a range of outfits that seemed to go on forever. Matty spent a good hour dressing up in various outfits and was standing in front of a vanity mirror, dressed up in a full Samus costume when he was interrupted.

*Bang bang bang* The noise shocked Matty so much that he backed up and tripped over his hammock and toppled out onto the floor, knocking the helmet off his head and banging his head on a fireman’s helmet.
    “Matty? You in there?” Outlaw’s voice called out. “Matty!”
    Rubbing the back of his head Matty got to his feet and started towards the door. Then realised what he was wearing “Just a minute!.” He shouted in return. He stripped as quickly as he could He grabbed the handle and pulled the door open, and there Outlaw stood, this time wearing a skull tee, hiking gaiters, pink slip ons and a balloon hat, behind her Curtis was grinning inanely. “What do you guys want?”
    “We’re gonna do some investigating.” Curtis beamed. “Super sleuths””
    “He was helping me with something else, and I happened to mention it……he thought it would be a good idea and wouldn’t let it drop, and I wanted you to come….” Outlaw tailed off and looked down at his feet and smiled.
    "I was sleeping.” said Matty
    Outlaw smiled again. “Those aren’t slippers.” She said
    “Ok, I’ll come. Just hang on a minute while I get…..changed.”

5 minutes later, hair in place, and fully clothed Matty emerged from the door. “I really have no idea why I’m in this damn chapter so much.” He stated gloomily.
    “Hey, the side-arc needs a main character. You should have realised this in the last chapter when Sas insisted on making you leader.” Curtis retorted.
    “Why couldn’t it be more like Game of Thrones, with several main characters?”
    Curtis shrugged “He's no George R. R. Martin.”

The cicadas were silent, there was no breeze, and not a cloud in the sky.
    They started with the empty houses, each with their doors curiously unlocked.
    “Any reason for leaving the doors open?” Curtis asked
    “We don’t have a squatter problem, as such I didn’t see any harm in leaving them as they were.” Outlaw replied.
    The houses were as they were originally left. All furniture in place, personal effects untouched and no suitcases packed.

After searching the third they stopped outside the front door.
    “So, they didn’t pack or anything. It’s safe to assume they didn’t know they were going to go wherever it is they went.” Said Matty. Outlaw and Curtis nodded in agreement and they continued their search. They shook trees (Outlaw got stung by a bee), in the town hall (Isabelle was asleep), they checked around the train station (the conductor monkey hadn’t seen them), under the notification board, around the mayoral tree, there was no sign of anything.
    They made their way back to Kefir’s (Matty’s?) house feeling like it had all been for nothing. As they crossed the bridge back they could hear a chewing sound coming from beneath the bridge.
    “Did we hear that noise on the way out?” Matty whispered to the others, they both shook their heads.
    Silently they crept backwards across the bridge and made their way around to the side.

As the group moved towards the bank the chewing noise became louder and louder, whoever this was he was one noisy eater.
    "I can’t see a thing." whispered Matty and Outlaw produced a lantern from goodness knows where.
    They slid under the bridge and held up their lantern. The chewing stopped, and a large figure glanced over its shoulder before wobbling round to face the group, it drew nearer, the light from the lantern finally touching its face…
    “Who’s that trip trapping on my… hang on. You’re not allowed down here. Who the hell are you?”
    “Is that……Unlikely?” Curtis squinted at the large individual in front of them.
    “Morons.” The figure turned his back to them. “Morons everywhere.” He went back to eating whatever he was eating.
    “Looks like him, but, something seems…….well….off.” Matty scoffed.
    Unlikely muttered away to himself, ignoring the uninvited guests behind it. “Idiots. Necessary, necessary to stop the hunger. No one understands. Idiots have provided me with plenty of meat to eat, not a single pig among them though…..could have done with a good ol’ chunk of ham. Mmm, ham. I miss ham.”

Outlaw felt sick, and promptly emptied her stomach contents into the river. "There goes my clean town." She lamented. She wiped her mouth and leaned against Curtis. "What is it?" she asked.
    "He’s more of a who than a what and he’s a long gone institution from before your time." Replied Matty.

Unlikely’s ability to troll eloquently was well known. This figure, while having the appearance of the Ham-man was scatty and incoherent. Whatever or whoever it was it had no food based desires towards them, most likely because they weren’t animals. Matty started to inch closer.

“Knew this was coming. Knew the newcomers would come to stop me. Place is making me tired. Too colourful, everyone is way too happy, even the food, as I twist their little necks they smile. Freaky things. Tasty things.”’

"He’s a troll?" asked Outlaw.
    "I’m not a troll." Growled the shape.
    "But you live under a bridge and you say the trip trapping thing and that’s a goat that you’re chewing on and don’t take this the wrong way but you have the whole troll thing going on." Replied Outlaw.

"I AM NOT A TROLL!"

Matty questioned whether what he was about to do was smart, as this individual seemed to be getting more and more unhinged by the second. He reached forward and placed his hand on its shoulder, “Unlikely?”

“GET OFF ME!” The Unlikely-alike roared spinning round flailing it’s arms. It caught Matty and sent him spinning into the water, the current pulling him away towards the sea. “STAY AWAY FROM ME!! ALL OF YOU!” The figure dashed out from under the bridge and lumbered away through the village.
    “Outlaw! Go help Matty! I’ll go after our new friend.” Curtis shouted dashing off after whatever it was.

Matty thrashed around in the river, it’s fast current seemingly at odds with the calm nature of the place. Several times he was dragged under unexpectedly. It was taking its toll on him, he was buffeted all over the place, he no longer knew which way was what. He bumped into several rocks lying on the bottom of the stream, this sent him into a spin as he was washed away.
    Outlaw was running as fast as her legs would carry her, she could see the waterfall to the sea up ahead hoping she’d get there on time. Again and again she saw Matty come above the water before being dragged back under. He was no longer in control of his movement as he was washed away. Outlaw was closing in, there were only metres to go, she gave it all she had, her speed increased. With only feet to go she leapt, Matty tumbled over the edge his hand flapping in the air, Outlaw reached out her fingers brushing against his, and, missed.
    "No!" Outlaw gasped. "No no no no no." She got onto her knees and looked gingerly over the edge. Nothing. Not even a splash. That wasn’t right. If people fall into water there’s a splash…right? She leaned forward a bit more, something was there. She laid on the ground and poked her head over the side, looking down the cliff face.
    “Hey there!” Speedhaak smiled at her, he was clinging to his sword which was jammed into the rockface.. “Did you drop this?” He motioned down to his hanging arm, there hanging from Haak’s arm by his own weapon harness, was Matty.

For a large guy the Unlikely-alike was fast. His gait was lumbering, but he was covering ground almost effortlessly, his speed betraying the movements his body was making. The general flatness of the ground around the town assisting this somewhat. Curtis was running full pelt and just couldn’t manage to catch up, it was all he could do just to keep up to this mystery guy. It didn’t matter what got in its way either, rocks were bounded over, trees were circumnavigated all with ease, it was all completely unnatural. Curtis was starting to get frustrated, and when he saw the train station loom into view he immediately knew what was going to happen.

The train was already in the station when it came bounding in.
    “Hello, where would you like to go todaaaaayyyyyyyyyy……” The conductor monkey asked as the figure tossed him to the side into the lockers as it boarded the train. It made its way towards the front crashing open the doors and bending the hand rails to make room. It made its way to the driver’s carriage to find it empty. The Unlikely-alike grabbed the handle, pushed it all the way forwards, and removed the brake.
    The train lurched into life and immediately roared out of the station as Curtis came running in. “Dammit.” He sighed and went over to help the conductor.
    In normal circumstances this would have turned in a massive chase involving large distances. There would have been a train top climbing and running thing happening. There would have been a point where someone had to hang on the edge of the train as it went around the corner and they managed to climb back up before they went through a tunnel and the hero was smashed into the side.

What actually happened was that the trained pulled away from the station and everything went dark for a second. Unlikely grinned to himself as he started his escape.
    When the light returned two seconds later the train was pulling into the hub station and slowing down of its own accord. The train simply didn’t know of any other animations.
    Unlikely growled, ran out of the drivers cabin onto the platform and straight into pretty much everyone that was leaving Badger Island.
    It was a little bit awkward.

• Turning it up a notch.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Excellent stuff!
  • Thanks. As usual I put poor sas through the wringer editing wise. Because I'm a difficult bastard.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Only just caught up with the last two chapters. Top stuff from the pair of you with a particular smile for
    Spoiler:

Who wrote the most recent chapter again? Sas?
  • Was me, Revel added quite a bit of the
    Spoiler:
    stuff though, including that line to which you refer.

Thanks for the nice comments Bird and Yoss. It's been good to write the 2 chapters I've done. Although the second chapter was difficult, suffered quite a bit of writer's block, and then all of a sudden it just started flowing. Ended up writing 80% of it in one day after 2 weeks of scratching my head.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Am I dead? I don't remember dying. Just judging a baking contest.
  • You're alive.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oooooohhhhhh
  • Reg is doing a chapter.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If you're running a Mac, I can recommend TextWrangler to change large quantities of text from upper to lower-case.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Shift-F3?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!