Retro Gaming
  • davyK wrote:
    Interesting info about SFII, hunk, thanks. So, with original carts, is there a version worth owning if you've got a SNES one?
    Imho, unless you're a sf2 collector and nut, no not really. Not sure what a complete boxed version in mint condition is worth tho'.
    Always thought SF2Turbo was the best SNES one. There's a nice collector's edition in a tin with a badge. Don't think it is that expensive though.

To clarify I was being specific about owning the md cart versions if you already have the snes versions. The original md versions are only worth bothering with if you are a collector as the snes versions are obviously superior.

The modded versions (see the b and b dropbox) are definitely worth checking out as they arguably show what the md is capable of on a technical level when in the right hands.Top stuff for actually rivalling the snes versions.

If you think the snes version of sf2t is good you should definitely check out the patched version of md sf2 sce. It slightly edges the snes release as its presentation is a tiny bit closer to the arcade and just as polished as it's SNES sibling.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I always thought the Snes versions had better sound due to better sound hardware, while the MD versions played better (as long as you had a six button pad) as the Sega machine had a faster processor?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Bear in mind I be remembering this from 90s Sega magazines.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No idea. I never played the MD games. I suspect the PAL versions weren't optimised so speed probably wasn't a feature of any version.

I was never that into the genre. Had SF2 and SF2Turbo - kept turbo because of the extra speed and characters.  It was always good value when friends were around.

I'd heard of the ROM hacks of the MD versions that improved things but have no way of trying them with an overdrive or equivalent.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    I always thought the Snes versions had better sound due to better sound hardware, while the MD versions played better (as long as you had a six button pad) as the Sega machine had a faster processor?

Snes had a slower cpu and better custom gpu while the md was the reverse; it had a faster cpu but weaker gpu.
    If you wanted to get the most out of the md hw you had to manually program the fx to eek the most out of the faster cpu.
    Snes had visual fx out of the box or supported custom chips to aid it. Sound of md was always weaker due to a crappy sounddriver; the snes hw is far superior in that respect.

The snes ed of sf2 looked and sounded better than their original md counterparts. Better color palette and superior sound and voices all round for snes. The md mods rectify this to some extent with a redone palette and updated sound driver with clear voice samples. SF2sce is especially close to the arcade as it includes the arcade intro and losing animations in the continue screens, something which was cut from the snes ed.
    And yeah, framepacing seems slightly better than the snes versions which makes it feel slightly more responsive; it's not something due to the controller. Not sure why that is, might be due to the faster cpu in the md.
  • It also has Guile's proper jumping animation.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ah, I forgot about the MD colour palette.
  • All 16bit console versions of sf2 ce/t (and ssf2) use the same in game animation base. That includes the pc engine version.
    Makes sense as they're all official capcom ports.

Guile and Honda got their jumping animation restored in sf2t/sf2sce as it was cut in the snes sf2 ww port.
  • Steam: Ruffnekk
  • This is the best news gaming related ever, I can't quite believe I've missed out on this. Absolutely over the moon!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I hope they're begging Mr. Koshiro for a few new tunes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Has anyone any experience with those Pandora all-in-1 jobs built into an arcade stick controller?
  • Funny you should say that davy I was having a look at a YouTube review of one of them yesterday. They seem good value for £120

There's a lot of games on there (999) 300 of which are variants of SFII but there are some glaring omissions and I wonder how good the stick components are.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some seem better than others - there are cheap fakes that don't have genuine Pandora PCBs and cheap controls. Some have Sanwa parts.

A video I saw states that the 5 is genuine but the 5s is not. Worth a watch:

• That was a useful watch, most of the reviews I have seen relate to the 5s and 6 both of which seem to have emulation issues. I am tempted by the 5 as a stop gap before I hopefully get a candy cab, but it's competing with a new receiver, an OSSC or a copy of Cannon Spike.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thinking about an OSSC myself.

I'd like a backup for my CRT and I'd also like to have some older consoles set up downstairs occasionally.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Up in the loft today, rooting through some stuff. Found my N64 (with memory expansion), 4 controllers and a load of games. A friend at work is asking to buy it and the games. Anyone got any advice on a reasonable price for the machine and games? E53175_E2-06_ED-4762-_A324-1_F9_C2_DFB669_A.jpg

LTTP in that condition with a map and manual will go for up to £200. The N64 version about £45-55. Illusion of time about £40. I'd not sell and go the ebay route myself.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @Eric

Have you burned Cannon Spike to try it out? I'm lucky enough to own a copy I bought off the shelf cheap during the wane of the Dreamcast.

It's a lovely game and has Capcom fan service to the rafters but if I was to pay for it now I'd want to try it out first.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Broke 55K on Asteroids Dx last night. High score. That's my second 50K+. The difficulty gets ridiculous at 50K - the homing missile speed seems to step up with each 10K score barrier. Not sure when it will top out but I can't imagine it getting much quicker when I bust 60K.
  • Spotted the boxes containing my N64 and SNES consoles and games in the wardrobe this morning.  Can I just plug them into the SCART socket on my LCD TV?  I have no idea whether old consoles work with modern TVs but thankfully mine's old enough to have a SCART socket (I'm guessing newer TVs don't have these any more).
  • SCART should be fine, though will probably look a bit crap, and there will be input lag that wasn't there on your old CRT.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    SCART should be OK. I doubt the N64 will look good though.  

If the TV has a game mode then that should reduce lag - I haven't noticed much when playing on my older LCD with SCART.
  • Good stuff.  I'm more interested in seeing if the SNES fires up than the N64.  Ooh, that's a point.  It's a US SNES.  Is that possibly going to be an issue?  I'm assuming it shouldn't be but I DO NOT KNOW.
  • Probably less of an issue now than back then, as any modern (ish) TV should be able to handle the signal.

Though if it's just black and white, then you may need a different cable/connection.
  • Righto.  Might try to fire it up this weekend.  Not even sure what games are in the box.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    You'll need a step down converter to avoid blowing it up.
  • I'm assuming I already have one of those as it's never blown up before.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Swish.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The transformer on a SNES is external - ie . is a power brick - so you don't need to worry about voltages as long as it has a UK plug on it.

The only consoles that you really need to be careful re voltages are those that just take a kettle lead or similar - ie. Dreamcast, Saturn, Playstation1,2 etc.

I suspect the US console will be fine on the TV.
  • davyK wrote:
    The transformer on a SNES is external - ie . is a power brick - so you don't need to worry about voltages as long as it has a UK plug on it.

US SNES connection to the actual console is unique though so its not a case of just connecting a UK one.

Can you just simply rewire a US ac adapter with a UK plug?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!