Retro Gaming
  • Magazines...does anybody still keep their old copies?

Just gone through a couple of cupboards back at home and realised I'm a few of the (admittedly dreadful) later issues away from having a full set of GB Action and just two early copies short of a full N64 Magazine collection before it became NGC Magazine for Issue 60 in November 2001 - both of which I'm now going to try and find the final pieces and lock them in as a thing to take up space forever more!

Also got a run of PC Gamer that goes from Issue 27 (February 1996) through to Issue 92 (January 2001) as well as Issues 1 to 7 of PC Attack (May to November 1995) and Issues 1 to 14, bar one, of Arcade (December 1998 to Christmas 1999)...are these worth trying to shift anywhere, or is it a case of they've had their time and it's off to the landfill in the sky?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I cleared all of that out years ago. Bulky and given the weight quite unlikely to be sold. I may have dropped a pile off at a charity shop but they may have also gone into the paper bin.

I kept a few Edge specials but I ended up handing them in to a local indie games shop.

The web really has made them redundant. Wish I had kept the best 100 game special of Super Play though. :(   I gave that to a game loving nephew so at least I didn't bin it.

I had the first batch of issues of Retro Gamer with the cover discs. They are worth a few quid now - should have sold them individually but fuck it.

You tend to get annual review / specials this time of year. I'm tempted at times to go for those. The Edge best ever tempts me too though last time I felt conned as they hadn't rewritten the text for those games that stayed on the list..and anyhow - I reckon a few folk here could do a better job of it nowadays.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I still keep mine and I think individual copies will still hold value to some people but it all comes down to whether you can be arsed to list and relist. I'm always on the look out for Mean Machines SEGA with Sonic 3 on the cover and the famous Eternal Champions review.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I like to keep my shits in Tesco bags and put them in piles around the house.
    I havent been able to get into my bedroom in 3 years but it is worth it for posterity.
  • I sold all mine about 15 years ago.

Basically sold them in sets (NMS, Super Play etc) for double the cover prices roughly, so I was really happy with what I got.

Downloaded most of them in PDF now and have them all on my phone.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 2hrs in the loft looking for the GBA shoebox I thought was near the front. Thought I'd found it, was just the box of tut containing things like the Bioshock figure and Mister Chief. Went deeper, eventually found what I thought was the correct shoebox. Nope, box o' tut. Turns out the first box was the GBA one with a layer of junk on top. FFS.

Found some treasures though.
  • Source code for Panzer Dragoon Saga?
  • Afraid not. I did have a very good look for your MMS though. My memory might be shocking but I know the cover to that one fell off at the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway so I wasn't convinced I'd find it. And I was right, sorry. It's probably/almost definitely up there but the closest I got was the Eternal Champions 95 in the official Sega Magazine.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DC Daytona on the old projector then.  :)   Plays well with the wheel. Was good fun going for my old Dinosaur Park track record in TT mode. Some swearing involved...not popular at the minute.   I really should hook the 360 up to this and get a shmup going on it!!  All packed away for now - I kept walking through those doors from the back room and encountering that screen!! 

FMHUNnN.jpg
  • Tiny Toon Adventures doesn't look like a real cart. The stickers says 'press start' under the title for starters.
  • Moto Racer not in the box OFC. I know some are locked in my drawer at work, which doesn't help too much as we've not been back to the building since March. Don't remember Moto being one of them. Hmmm.
  • Both Kururins are here but no Columns or Game & Watch. The latter is definitely at work.
  • I'm counting 64 games in the shoebox.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Tiny Toon Adventures doesn't look like a real cart. The stickers says 'press start' under the title for starters.

There used to be entire shops full of pirate GB carts in tourist towns all over Central Europe. Loads of “37 games on one cart” etc too (it was always a weirdly precise number).
  • Ah Moot, thanks for looking though, very kind of you.

Davy that looks awesome, picture looks amazing. I'll try and post my work in progress setup in a bit but imgur app seems to be useless
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sadly my projector use is very occasional as I don't have anywhere suitable for perma-setup without totally rejigging a room.

I should rig it up more often though - just the sheer size of an image adds something.
  • Here we go, desktop imgur site comes up with the goods:

2KX4DSp.jpg

IZjDpUh.jpg

lkGQRPp.jpg
    Le Mans on the DC

So my new projector lets you x5 the line info via the OSSC so you get a super crisp image plus you can add scanlines. Need to connect the other consoles up plus CRT's then I'm pretty much there.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh I say.  I had forgot how nice your setup was.  :)

How far back is your projector and what image size have you there? I'm guessing maybe a 60" diagonal there if each compartment is 12" wide.....

Hard to gauge from a picture though.

That would give me an idea about what I'd need to do if I was to think about setting mine up permanently.  My man cave isn't the biggest but with a bit of planning it might be possible.
  • Just done a quick size up and the lens of the projector is 3m away from the wall and the 4:3 image is around 83" diagonally.

Note that all projectors have different throws though, my previous projector which was a short throw one had to be about 2 m away as the image was just too big for the wall when it was back at 3m.

I use a cheap IKEA roller blackout blind for my screen, you could mount one above your door frame and only pull it down when you need it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jeez - that display is far bigger than I reckoned. I had 72" on the diagonal for that DC shot though I wasn't quite filling that. Interesting you are using a blackout blind. Looks damn good. I have an actual projector screen. I could take it off the stand which is a bit busted up and a real handful to wrangle if I can figure out a way of hanging the roller.

Will need to see what sort of throw mine has too. I was maybe 6 or 7 feet back from the screen for a 6 ft diagonal which would be good enough for me if I could get that going upstairs in my game room.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Tiny Toon Adventures doesn't look like a real cart. The stickers says 'press start' under the title for starters.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Moto Racer not in the box OFC. I know some are locked in my drawer at work, which doesn't help too much as we've not been back to the building since March. Don't remember Moto being one of them. Hmmm.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Both Kururins are here but no Columns or Game & Watch. The latter is definitely at work.
    This is such a wild ride!

So what is in the box in the end?! And which ones have you given "just one more go" by now?
  • I've only just found the Micro! Will probably play Drill Dozer before selling as I can't remember if I finished it. Found more carts too, up to 71 in the house now. Will do a full list today.

Also found a handful of boxes: Warioware, Gunstar Heroes, Minish Cap, Mario Kart, Kuru Kuru Kururin and Astro Boy. Squashed and a bit tatty but deep in a bag away from the elements.
  • Because I'll sell the lot if I can be bothered to pull my finger out, will post some random things too in case any of it catches someone's fancy on here before Ebay:

Micro Machines 2, Red Zone (MD, boxed)
    Moonwalker (PAL), El Viento (US) - unboxed

NewSealand Story and Super Tennis (MS unboxed)

Punch Out (Wii, boxed)

Bangai-O, Virtua Tennis, Phantasy Star Online (DC, boxed. Phantasy Star has Sonic Adventure 2 in the back bit for some reason).

Overboard!, Tomb Raider (Playstation, boxed). Plus a ton of PS disks on a spindle I bought for PS3 back comp. Maybe 20 games.

Virtua Cop 2 and NiGHTS (Saturn). Both boxed but both in the small cd case that came with the game + peripheral.

A Father Ted annual.

A PS3 pad

Lovely bit of string

A PS2 console

Greenhouse, Submarine and Tomytronic 3D LCD games

A beautiful but incomplete collection of four teeny tiny Sega consoles with little pads and carts etc. Dunno where the MD cart is and I'll never find it.

Burnout 2 and Jak & Daxter (PS2, boxed)

An electronic ball bearing run game called AAAAAGHH!

Golden Axe, Desert Strike and Road Rash Sega Power novels.

Yuzo Koshiro Best Collection vol.1 (triple cd), JSR and JSRF soundtracks, Super Meat Boy OG soundtrack (doublel cd).

A Master Chief figure with gun.

And a Dylan box set I thought I'd sold a while ago but obviously didn't, that I don't want to sell now. Yay.

• Might sell my 3DS and games too. Games all boxed.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh - the extra game in the 2nd disc holder of PAL Dreamcast games.  :)
  • I'm no expert but I wonder if my dad should've maybe sold the 8ft metal railway sign up there that says DOWNTON at some point in the last few years. That iron will be lukewarm by now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm beginning to think that an itemised list of that lockup could win the Nobel Prize for Literature.
  • You could definitely still sell that to an American. Hefty shipping cost, mind.
  • davyK wrote:
    I'm beginning to think that an itemised list of that lockup could win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

'Things Nigel left behind' could be a cathartic exercise when I have to eventually have to go through it properly. 'Things Nigel thinks are in there that aren't' could be written now.
  • poprock wrote:
    You could definitely still sell that to an American. Hefty shipping cost, mind.

Probably. There are tons of other signs up there too, which were all on display around the house in the early 90s (Peckham Rye fell on my nan's head once, they all came down after that). There's full size signal in the lock up too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!